Rivals Picks the Big XII Division Winners

Rivals have made their picks for the winners of the North and South:

Olin Buchanan

North - Kansas

South - Texas

Buchanan's reasoning on picking Kansas: "Nebraska was the media preseason pick in the North, but I'll go with Kansas because of quarterback Todd Reesing and big-play receiver Dezmon Briscoe. By comparison, Nebraska QB Zac Lee and the receivers are unproven. Kansas faces a tougher conference schedule, but the Jayhawks do get the Cornhuskers in Lawrence. "

Tom Dienhart

North - Kansas

South - Oklahoma

Dienhart's reasoning on picking Kansas: "In the North, I like Kansas. The reason: QB Todd Reesing, who gets swallowed in the shadows of Bradford and Texas' Colt McCoy. Reesing will have good targets in WRs Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier. It will be key for the interior of the line to jell so there's a strong ground game to keep the heat off Reesing. The defense will carry its weight. The addition of Bill Miller as a co-coordinator will help. All eyes are on a rebuilt linebacking corps in this 4-2-5 scheme that has more speed and athletic ability than you think. Another reason for optimism: KU gets Nebraska in Lawrence. "

David Fox

North - Nebraska

South - Oklahoma State

Fox's reasoning on picking Nebraska: "At first I figured Kansas would deliver on its potential and win the Big 12 North. Then I looked at the schedules. I'm not going to buy Kansas as a Big 12 contender until I see the Jayhawks beat a legitimate team from the South. They'll get their chances against Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas. I'll take Nebraska, even with its questionable quarterback situation."

Steve Megargee

North - Nebraska

South - Texas

Megargee's reasoning on picking Nebraska: "The North looks like a tossup between Kansas and Nebraska. Kansas has the benefit of playing Nebraska at home, but the Jayhawks also must play both Oklahoma and Texas, while Nebraska doesn't face the Longhorns during the regular season. Kansas has the better skill-position players on offense with Todd Reesing throwing to Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier, but I think Nebraska's defense will improve quite a bit in Bo Pelini's second year on the job. I'm going to guess Nebraska's defensive superiority outweighs the advantages Kansas has on offense."

FULL ARTICLE - Lots of good info here.

Rivals is doing a count-up for their preseason top 25, and Nebraska isn't in it. They've got the Huskers ranked 27th, with Kansas ranked 16th. I think that's too low for the Huskers and way too high for the Jayhawks, but we'll see.

:wtf Kansas 16th?!?! I'd say that was a good pick if they had beat anyone last year..but the best team they beat was Missouri!! And that is hardly a win to hang your hat on....

I wish Nebraska would've beaten Missouri last season... :facepalm:

I think that others would agree that NU and MU were certainly not the same teams near the end of the season...with the Huskers taking significant steps in the right direction and Missouri taking baby steps in the wrong...it's the only way I can rationalize Missouri losing to Kansas and barely pulling off a win against Northwestern....

:cowbell::cowbell::cowbell: You can never have enough!

I think that others would agree that NU and MU were certainly not the same teams near the end of the season...with the Huskers taking significant steps in the right direction and Missouri taking baby steps in the wrong...it's the only way I can rationalize Missouri losing to Kansas and barely pulling off a win against Northwestern....

The great unknown heading into this season is, how much more will the Huskers develop with an entire season cycle with Bo under their belts? They were clearly not the same team at the end of the season as they were in the first several games. The VA Tech game would have been very different had we played them in November rather than September. Same for Missouri.

We could take a HUGE leap forward this year, which is one of the reasons I'm so excited to see this team. We could take a step back, too, which is why we're all tempering our optimism quite a bit, but I'm expecting to see at least some improvement across the board. Couple that with a learning curve for the n00bs on offense, and we should be rounding into form just about when we head to Blacksburg.

We could be in fine form when we head to Columbia. And then it's go time. :steam:thumbs:steam

The great unknown heading into this season is, how much more will the Huskers develop with an entire season cycle with Bo under their belts? They were clearly not the same team at the end of the season as they were in the first several games. The VA Tech game would have been very different had we played them in November rather than September. Same for Missouri.

We could take a HUGE leap forward this year, which is one of the reasons I'm so excited to see this team. We could take a step back, too, which is why we're all tempering our optimism quite a bit, but I'm expecting to see at least some improvement across the board. Couple that with a learning curve for the n00bs on offense, and we should be rounding into form just about when we head to Blacksburg.

We could be in fine form when we head to Columbia. And then it's go time. :steam:thumbs:steam

Yeah, that's the way I feel too..cautiously optimistic. Kansas may have more talent - experience may be a better word - at the skill positions on offense, but I think we have a definite advantage with our D line v. their O line. I think that's going to be the real key in this one (probably in alot of our games).

am a tigers fan but anyone who doesn't pick KU is not paying attention. This a league about qb's and Reesing is just damn tough, is best in the north and no one is in second play and has what many experts say is THE best Wr corp in the country, plus a serviceable rb in sharp. NU? no proven playmakers at qb and almost no production at wr. what you have is two good not grt backs and a solid TE. Your Oline is ok nothing special and when teams shut down your running, which they will, Lee is a total unknown to make big plays as he had no PT last yr. could he be solid? sure but just as easily he could not be. You can say the same thing for MU which has without question the most talented qb in North but hasn't played for the last two years as he was hurt early in his sr hs yr. He is big, talented and with a cannon arm but hasn't done it yet. DW is best rb in north without question and backup is very good so it looks like they will run the ball more. Has most talented Oline and it is a spread team so easiest to replace on they fly, like TTech.

Now the fun starts with matchups, with suhie and a solid Dline as NU's d strength they could really give KU problems as they have 3 rs freshmen Olinemen (including a RS freshmen TE who is being converted to LT and only weighed 260 in spring), so the only running KU will be doing will be Reesing, for his life! NU should be able to run the ball against KU, which takes pressure off Lee, game should be very interesting. Plus later in yr so Reesing could be beat up or gone by then. Very interesting.

NU against MU in Columbia, after taking a beating at blackwater, sorry dudes it is going to happen Vtech is very tough this year, MU probably has lost at Illinois as they have a veteran O and stars in Juice and Benn who is a monster and d has new coordinator and lots of new players, tho they are very fast and athletic, have to say both teams have one loss. NU won't be successful running the ball and passing will be difficult. MU will be able to pass the ball effectively as lbers and secondary are inexperienced and tigers are talented and led by two outstanding seniors, Washington will do well running the ball. Have to give this one to Tigers.

as for rest of schedule? who knows, MU loses at OKS and tx, beats baylor at home. MU wins rest of schedule easily, KU by then will have a very beat up Reesing and defense isn't much.

NU still has to go to Baylor, trap game Griffin is very good, OU is a beatdown and tech is another very tough game, Leach always has the Offense ready to go, huskers still ahve to go to CU and Cu had you last yr when they were terrible.

point is, no one can really predict this year, you are optimistic, beakers are as well and they have the most productive offense to justify their confidence, Tigers are young but more athletic and faster than ever. Who will win? Is why they play the games. Enjoy the season and don't take it to seriously, all teams are in flux and no one has a chance to beat the south team in championship game anyway, so what does it matter?

Our D-line is going to eat Reesing for lunch.

let's just hope that when we hit him...we WRAP UP! so he can't bounce back and STILL toss a TD pas... :facepalm:

Couldn't agree more, but I still had to tip my hat to the little midget for having the fortitude to make that play.

Little midget.... :laughpound

But yes, that was a very good play.

point is, no one can really predict this year, you are optimistic, beakers are as well and they have the most productive offense to justify their confidence, Tigers are young but more athletic and faster than ever. Who will win? Is why they play the games. Enjoy the season and don't take it to seriously, all teams are in flux and no one has a chance to beat the south team in championship game anyway, so what does it matter?

Thanks for making your post easy to read..... <_<

What does it matter? Getting to the Big 12 championship game for a chance to beat the south team is what matters. Maybe you think your tigers don't have a shot at beating the South representative in the Championship game, but as a Husker fan, I feel that our team can play and beat anybody in the nation on any given day.

am a tigers fan but anyone who doesn't pick KU is not paying attention. This a league about qb's and Reesing is just damn tough, is best in the north and no one is in second play and has what many experts say is THE best Wr corp in the country, plus a serviceable rb in sharp. NU? no proven playmakers at qb and almost no production at wr. what you have is two good not grt backs and a solid TE. Your Oline is ok nothing special and when teams shut down your running, which they will, Lee is a total unknown to make big plays as he had no PT last yr. could he be solid? sure but just as easily he could not be. You can say the same thing for MU which has without question the most talented qb in North but hasn't played for the last two years as he was hurt early in his sr hs yr. He is big, talented and with a cannon arm but hasn't done it yet. DW is best rb in north without question and backup is very good so it looks like they will run the ball more. Has most talented Oline and it is a spread team so easiest to replace on they fly, like TTech.

Now the fun starts with matchups, with suhie and a solid Dline as NU's d strength they could really give KU problems as they have 3 rs freshmen Olinemen (including a RS freshmen TE who is being converted to LT and only weighed 260 in spring), so the only running KU will be doing will be Reesing, for his life! NU should be able to run the ball against KU, which takes pressure off Lee, game should be very interesting. Plus later in yr so Reesing could be beat up or gone by then. Very interesting.

NU against MU in Columbia, after taking a beating at blackwater, sorry dudes it is going to happen Vtech is very tough this year, MU probably has lost at Illinois as they have a veteran O and stars in Juice and Benn who is a monster and d has new coordinator and lots of new players, tho they are very fast and athletic, have to say both teams have one loss. NU won't be successful running the ball and passing will be difficult. MU will be able to pass the ball effectively as lbers and secondary are inexperienced and tigers are talented and led by two outstanding seniors, Washington will do well running the ball. Have to give this one to Tigers.

as for rest of schedule? who knows, MU loses at OKS and tx, beats baylor at home. MU wins rest of schedule easily, KU by then will have a very beat up Reesing and defense isn't much.

NU still has to go to Baylor, trap game Griffin is very good, OU is a beatdown and tech is another very tough game, Leach always has the Offense ready to go, huskers still ahve to go to CU and Cu had you last yr when they were terrible.

I'm sorry but I think you should re-read what you posted, then ask your self this one simple question, "Do I make any sense?" The answer to that question is no. You just wait till we travel down to columbia fella. Missouri's time on top is over. You failed to mention that you are replacing and offensive coordinator that is really the reason pinkel had any success for the first time since....well ever. You also replace a defensive coordinator from a team that was out right horrible last year after the nebraska game. You lose your best QB, TE, and WR in school history! Derek Washington is good, but not great, and you got the Gabbert that is lesser than what we'll have. Blaine got benched in high school and replaced by his brother who outplayed him during the time he was out. MU will do no better than 6-6....