Book: Diary of a Husker

I thought it was a good read. It is interesting to get the perspective of a player who did not do much for the program (as far as playing time, awards, etc). It is a perfect walk-on story and what a walk-on goes through to be a part of the team. I respect him for what he did and gave for the program.

Also, it amazed me how much "stuff" they got each season...clothes at the beginning and then when they made it to a bowl game.

good book, finished it in 2 nights. It is very interesting the way he describes life as a Husker, also on how much the atmosphere had changed when Solich took the reigns over. All in all, good story on a kid who never gave up and tried his best to be called a Husker. :thumbs

It really is an interesting read. His emotional state is really prevalent as he goes thru the ups and downs of being a walk-on. It surprised me a bit to see how sometimes even guys on the team or coaches don't know what others are doing. I guess with that many kids it's just impossible to know at all times. I do wish he had named names for a few on the incidents that he talks about but he chose not to.

One thing that I noted was how incorrectly he described the famous reverse pass play from Thunder Collins to Stunts to Crouch again OU. Almost like he really didn't see the play at all and someone just flilled him in. Strange.

All in all it's been a good book and does show how things had changed from those dynasty teams of the 90's to a couple years into Frank's coaching career.

Touchdown Tommy, yeah I was suprised by all that stuff they get at bowl games to. I knew they rcvd a few things but they get some nice gifts!

True story, about a month ago I was talking to my dad about this book, and he seemed intrested, so he convinced me to send the book to him in the mail. So I said sure, the post office has their new flat rate shipping, $5.00 no problem. Well, that is until after I sent him the book and I start to think, "Did I put the right address on that?" (my dad is in the Navy and moves around a lot) So I call my pops, and sure enough I sent my copy to god knows who, and in spite of our wonderfully efficient postal system :sarcasm I haven't seen it since!

I did enjoy the book while I had it, my wife had just bought it for me at christmas. The author didn't seem to hold back much when talking about how the game had maybe past a few of the older coaches by. And it was interesting to learn that I wasn't the only person turned off by Craig Bohl, apparently most of the players disliked him to.

But my favorite part of the book was his description of Toniu Fonoti's freshmen hazing. Or should I say lack of one. "When he was called out to receive his beating, he just said "No, you won't be doing that." Nobody was brave enough to argue with him. " Now that's intimidation!

"But my favorite part of the book was his description of Toniu Fonoti's freshmen hazing. Or should I say lack of one. "When he was called out to receive his beating, he just said "No, you won't be doing that." Nobody was brave enough to argue with him. " Now that's intimidation!"

THAT was funny. I did think the author really let it all out. His frustrations with coaches and the system and even with himself. If you're a Husker fan I recommend the book.

I got him to autograph it off his website.."To a walk-on wannabe"

It was a good read, but I was a little dissapointed with the materialistic side of his view..All the mentions of the free t-shirts, meals, or other clothing/gifts...Almost made it sound like that's what he was playing for...

Also a little sad that he was counting the days for it to be over...but it was nice to see him be able to lose all that weight after his playing career was over.

I got him to autograph it off his website.."To a walk-on wannabe"

It was a good read, but I was a little dissapointed with the materialistic side of his view..All the mentions of the free t-shirts, meals, or other clothing/gifts...Almost made it sound like that's what he was playing for...

Also a little sad that he was counting the days for it to be over...but it was nice to see him be able to lose all that weight after his playing career was over.

He came down to Austin before a game and I also got an autographed hard copy. I was confused as to what position he played since he had dropped all of that weight, and looked really fit.

I agree with 37's comments. It seems like half of the diary entries are about what he got. I'd have liked to have read even more about what they did and how he felt.

I agree that his attitude by his senior year was lacking. I guess the grind and just not getting to play as much as he hoped really wore him down. I am glad he was honest about all that. The stuff about the lack of nutrional and lifting coaches was shocking to me. Maybe it came out back then and I forget but it's hard to believe that kind of neglect could ever happen at a place like Nebraska.

The comments about all the stuff the players get was okay for me. I'm glad because it gave me insight into that kind of stuff. I will say though, doesn't everyone realize they get shoes and shirts and sweats? I mean that's part of any sports team's gear. Not sure why he always seemed surprised by it. Heck in HS basketball we got lots of that stuff.

For anyone who hasn't read the book I highly recommend it. I read in 3 nights and enjoyed it. Thanks for everyone's comments.

I am sure if I went through what he did the positive things would be the items I got for free. I cannot imagine being a walk-on at a major college program and just getting your a$$ kicked each day. There are some walk-ons that make it (as we all know), but I think the majority of them would have the same opinion as this guy. Kudos to him for "sticking" it out.

The comments about all the stuff the players get was okay for me. I'm glad because it gave me insight into that kind of stuff. I will say though, doesn't everyone realize they get shoes and shirts and sweats? I mean that's part of any sports team's gear. Not sure why he always seemed surprised by it. Heck in HS basketball we got lots of that stuff.

For anyone who hasn't read the book I highly recommend it. I read in 3 nights and enjoyed it. Thanks for everyone's comments.

I was surprised about the money he got. He explained early on that any time they were required to do anything football related on a non-school day, the administration had the choice of whether to provide mails or the money the meals would've cost. Seems like he usually got $60 or $80. I don't think too many of these guys went out to Misty's on that money. Go hit the Val's buffet and you're way ahead.

It was a very good read though, a must for Husker fans, because it's an in-depth view from an insider, but not one who is a super star.