Spano hurt?

Big Willie, I'm going to assume you're not a doctor. Let's say you're Bo Pelini. You have a team of medical people tell you the kid is healthy and ready to go. What would you do?

Rationally, no way in heck do you put that kid back in. If I had one single physician who told me Spano was ready to go after 3 months, I would do everything in my power to have the guy fired. No way any doctor who cleared Spano to play this quickly deserves to have a job or be around any kid on this team consulting them.

Like I said, I dare anyone to find a player who has came back from ACL surgery in 3 months. Better yet, email or call your doctor and ask them what they think about it.

It is laughable to even consider it happened. And it's sad Kody had to pay the price for it.

Do you actually think if the medical staff hadn't cleared him he would be out on the field and allowed to practice? Seriously?

When did I say he wasn't cleared?

I'm sure Kody went up to them and told them his knee felt strong. However, as a doctor, you have to be able to tell a kid 'no' and know what is best for them. Three months into recovery from major knee surgery isn't proper healing time. That is not even debatable and why it is, I don't know.

The medical staff muffed up. Bad. And a young kid paid the price for their mistake.

/story

major knee surgery

This seems to be the key question. Do you know, or does anyone you know know :) how "major" his surgery was? Did he blow the tendon completely or was it a tear? If it was a tear, how badly was it torn? That's the thing I'd like to know. I can believe that if he had a tiny tear they sutured up that he could be back in three months. But if they had to do a graft or whatever... no. That's why I was surprised he was back (but really glad, too).

I'd like to hear an explanation of this from Mark Mayer, who was the point-man on Spano's recovery. I'd like to know if they rushed it or if Spano was truly medically cleared, with no shenanigans.

You show me one player in the history of football who came back 3 months removed from ACL surgery and I'll shown you another blown out knee.

You are looking at 6 months minimum rest. And those are for the freaks who work their rear ends off and have a better gene pool than most. Most people are looking at 9 months. If can honestly tell me without question that our training staff truly believed that Kody Spano was able to knock the minimum healing time in half, then I also want you to know that I am a multi-millionaire with stunning good looks, among many other things.

Big Willie, I'm going to assume you're not a doctor. Let's say you're Bo Pelini. You have a team of medical people tell you the kid is healthy and ready to go. What would you do?

And I doubt if he even slept in a Holiday Inn last night

You show me one player in the history of football who came back 3 months removed from ACL surgery and I'll shown you another blown out knee.

You are looking at 6 months minimum rest. And those are for the freaks who work their rear ends off and have a better gene pool than most. Most people are looking at 9 months. If can honestly tell me without question that our training staff truly believed that Kody Spano was able to knock the minimum healing time in half, then I also want you to know that I am a multi-millionaire with stunning good looks, among many other things.

Clever :nanalama

major knee surgery

This seems to be the key question. Do you know, or does anyone you know know :) how "major" his surgery was? Did he blow the tendon completely or was it a tear? If it was a tear, how badly was it torn? That's the thing I'd like to know. I can believe that if he had a tiny tear they sutured up that he could be back in three months. But if they had to do a graft or whatever... no. That's why I was surprised he was back (but really glad, too).

I'd like to hear an explanation of this from Mark Mayer, who was the point-man on Spano's recovery. I'd like to know if they rushed it or if Spano was truly medically cleared, with no shenanigans.

ACL reconstruction.

:facepalm:

ACL reconstruction.

I think we already knew that. The question is, how severe was the damage? Not all ACL's are the same. Do you know the exact extent of the injury he suffered in the Spring? How large was the tear, how much (if any) collateral damage there was, etc?

EDIT after the fact - I'm not trying to bust your ####s here. I'm a layman in ACL injuries, and I'm just trying to figure this out. I get your point that nobody ever sees someone coming back from an ACL in three months. I'm just amazed that the medical staff, the off-site doctor (and I'm pretty sure I know who that is) and the coaches would put him on the field if he wasn't ready. It doesn't wash with a group of people who are, supposedly, dedicated to keeping these kids as healthy as possible.