Cody Green #2 QB

Watson Breaks Down Backfield:

In the race for the No. 2 quarterback spot, Watson said true freshman Cody Green has taken the lead.

"He's done a great job. He's really catching on," Watson said. "I'm really pleased with where he is at. Latravis is competing hard with him, trying to make up the ground he lost. We'll make some decisions by the end of the week."

Watson said Green's maturity has not only earned him respect from his teammates, but also from the coaching staff.

"He's just a mature guy. He gets it," Watson said. "He understands life a little bit. He understands football. He just brings that to the table. It's just a gift he has. He's a natural leader. Football comes natural. I think that helps him with his leadership."

In addition to the quarterback race starting to take shape, Watson said Marcus Mendoza is pushing for a spot among the top-three running backs.

damn, i don't know whether to be happy or sad? how does Mendoza suddenly show up and become a factor? are we suddenly that damn thin or what??

Considering that Mendoza is the second-most senior RB on the team after Helu, I'd say yes.

wow, how many freshman are going to see major playing time this year?

Well....it looks like Green, Burkhead, and Eric Martin for sure (all number 2's on the depth chart....that isn't official yet). I imagine a few more will see time during special teams. Personally, I like it. This is a good class and it will be good for recruiting when high school kids see true freshmen out there. The best talent deserves to be on the field regardless of age.

In addition to the quarterback race starting to take shape, Watson said Marcus Mendoza is pushing for a spot among the top-three running backs.

damn, i don't know whether to be happy or sad? how does Mendoza suddenly show up and become a factor? are we suddenly that damn thin or what??

Be happy. Try it. You might like it. ;)

It's not like Mendoza is new to the position. I believe he was in the top four last season.

WOW!! I am officially on the Cody Green bandwagon. I really wish we could keep his RS but if he is good enough to push for playing time this year, lets get him out there. We are building for the future and with as many young players that are pushing for PT the future is getting brighter.

Seeing that Mendoza is third, that makes me wonder about Okafor and Ward a little

Stop me if you've heard this from me before, but that could mean a redshirt for one or both of these guys.

I feel like I say "redshirt" in every thread now. Redshirt. Redshirt. Redshirt. If you say it like ten times in a row it doesn't even sound like a word anymore.

Seeing that Mendoza is third, that makes me wonder about Okafor and Ward a little

Stop me if you've heard this from me before, but that could mean a redshirt for one or both of these guys.

I feel like I say "redshirt" in every thread now. Redshirt. Redshirt. Redshirt. If you say it like ten times in a row it doesn't even sound like a word anymore.

what? Both have redshirted