Cody Green #2?

Why would Washington go in if there's a blowout? What's the purpose of listing Green as #2 if we're going to put Washington in if there's a blowout?

Wouldn't it be silly to put Green in there for a losing effort...Yes game experince is crucial...but wouldn't an entire EXTRA year in the system be better?

But..coaches know best...

Garbage time is garbage time, winning or losing. If Green is clearly the #2, then he needs to go into the games in these situations to get game time reps so he is ready if Lee goes dow, knocks on wood. Practice reps are nice, but game reps are much better.

To all of you that are bent on red shirting Green. Please understand that playing as much talent as you can on a young unproven offense will only help the defense. We all know defense will be the key to success for this season. That being said the defense cannot afford to have 3 in outs in a lot of drives with out scores. The more weapons that defensive coordinators have to prepare for the better off the offense will be.

Yes there are good players on offense and new faces that may do some good things. However, until those new player get on the field we wont know.

Having a two QB system has worked for various teams. Lee right now is a better passer but Green is much better suited to use his feet to make or extend play and run the option.

You have no way to know this if this is true. In fact I remember Q talking during the Spring about how Lee was faster than most of the I-Backs and there has been a whole lot of hype about how good of a runner Lee is. How do you know Lee isn't better than Green as a runner? All we have are recruiting videos.

To all of you that are bent on red shirting Green. Please understand that playing as much talent as you can on a young unproven offense will only help the defense. We all know defense will be the key to success for this season. That being said the defense cannot afford to have 3 in outs in a lot of drives with out scores. The more weapons that defensive coordinators have to prepare for the better off the offense will be.

Yes there are good players on offense and new faces that may do some good things. However, until those new player get on the field we wont know.

Having a two QB system has worked for various teams. Lee right now is a better passer but Green is much better suited to use his feet to make or extend play and run the option.

You have no way to know this if this is true. In fact I remember Q talking during the Spring about how Lee was faster than most of the I-Backs and there has been a whole lot of hype about how good of a runner Lee is. How do you know Lee isn't better than Green as a runner? All we have are recruiting videos.

I think Lee will do fine running and passing..but He's no Ganz..that guy had a run that just made me laugh! But back to the point...with our QB situation a bit bumby...would we wrisk a lot fo option plays?

I think Lee will do fine running and passing..but He's no Ganz..that guy had a run that just made me laugh! But back to the point...with our QB situation a bit bumby...would we wrisk a lot fo option plays?

I think they will call games as they normally do. You can't play or call a game like you are scared of getting hurt, that never works. That is why getting Green into games if he is the true #2 would be important, so he is ready just in case, again I knock on wood.

I believe there is a severe misconception among Husker fans that Green is some kind of a burner at QB. I'm not sure where people are getting this impression, because while Green is more than capable of gaining yards with his feet, he doesn't have near the speed or scrambling ability that Lee does. Which is fine because that's not his game. Green is 6' 4" 220lbs, all he should be concerned with right now is developing in the pocket, cleaning up his throwing motion and learning the playbook.

I have no problem with Green being moved up and wouldn't be mad if he doesn't redshirt. We want to win now and I think we will with Lee, but why not get Green in there some for games and have him ready to lead us to big things by next season. He will still have 3 years to start for us. Winning now means having the best guys ready to play even if they are freshman. Green sounds like a guy that is mentally ready for the game and very few true freshman QBs are like that.

I think some folks are getting ahead of themselves. Just because he is in front of Washington does not mean he is even close to Lee.

While this might be true, I can't help but wonder why they list Green at #2 this early in the season with the weakest part of the season just about to begin. One could assume we will blow out a couple of the 3 nonconference opponents. It's doubtful Lee plays the entire game if both are blowouts. If Green goes in, he loses his shirt. If Green isn't even close to Lee, it would appear they'd want to keep Green #3 and put Washington in so that we get Green 3 years after Lee is gone. By putting him at #2 and realistically giving up his redshirt, the coaches might think he's pretty close to Lee and will overtake him next year. It doesn't make a lot of sense to burn his shirt this year if he isn't close to Lee especially since Spano will be back next year.

Please understand that I think Cody Green is a far better passer than the person I will speak of next.

His relaxed running style is very similar to Vince Young. Vince was 6 - 5 / 235 lbs. Cody is an elusive runner and when we he gets in the open field and to top speed with that stride he can cover 7 - 8 yards in two steps.

I'm defiantly not saying Green will be anywhere near Zac Lee knowledge wise with the offense. The point I think you missed is that using Green talents will be a huge benefit for the team now than red shirting him. Teams have done this with there young QB's in the past and it has worked. Team like Florida, VT, Ohio State, and Texas in recent years. Team that will be doing it this Florida, Tennessee, University of Virginia, and Michigan.