The Annointed One

Travis9

I have seen so many posts about Cody Green.

1. To Redshirt or not to Redshirt

2. Will he start at some point this year or next

3. He walks on water

Let me ask a question; Did Suh have a position battle this year? No! He had a job and unless he came in out of shape or had a season ending injury the job was his.

Why should Lee be any different. Let's assume Lee goes out and has an above average to really good or even great season. As the QB should he really have to go into spring and then Fall camp in a position Battle? No! Again, unless Lee went into the Spring or Fall out of shape or injured for the year, the job should be his unless HE loses it.

If he is below average or worse this year then yes there should be a battle, but if Lee has a good or better than good year this year, as we all hope, then in no way shape or form should he have to battle for a job next year. I realize competition is a great thing, but there are certain times and spots where the incumbent should not have a position battle on his hands, but rather a situation where it is his job unless he LOSES it.

So many fans have annointed Green the next coming, many of the same people that put Beck in the same category.

Maybe Lee struggles or falls on his face, but maybe just maybe he makes us ask "Joe Who" because he turns out to be as good as advertised.

As fans we should hope for the latter scenario, the one in which Lee is as good as advertised. After all he is our starter this year. CORRECT?

I would love to be on the "True Freshman Bandwagon" too...but I am so hesitant to praise any player that looks good at practice and on high school football highlight videos....I'm not saying Green and Burkhead can't be an amazing addition...but i will save my judgments until they show it on the field...I think we all should.

Game tomorrow!

GO BIG RED!

I think this thing has been beaten to death. It's hard to believe how much chatter there is about something that's really this simple:

Cody Green came in and won the backup QB job. He'll more than likely play this weekend and not redshirt barring injury.

What else is there to say? How would anyone know if he is the second coming of Terrelle Pryor? We'll find out a little bit about him in the second half tomorrow, I'd guess, and a lot more if Zac misses some extended playing time for one reason or another. But we'd better hope it doesn't come to even that. Lee is our guy head and shoulders. I'd caution anyone against Marlon Lucky syndrome this time around.

You are missing the point. I have no problem with him as #2 and no problem if he plays. My problem is that a ton of posters both here and on the pay board, have basically annointed Green the starter next year. To that i say BS. It hasn"t been stated once that Green is close to Lee. If Lee has a good year this year there is absolutely no reason Green starts next year and furthermore absolutely no reason that Lee should have to be worried about a position battle. NONE. If you will recall, Pelini and Co. came in last year and said every position is up for grabs except QB, (Joe Ganz is our starter), which was said from day one. If Lee has a good year this year, all i am saying is that going into next year the same thing should be said for Lee.

I am tired of hearing how Green is the annointed one. Give Lee a chance and when he makes you all forget about Ganz (which he will) then Green can just wait another year to Play.

You are missing the point. I have no problem with him as #2 and no problem if he plays. My problem is that a ton of posters both here and on the pay board, have basically annointed Green the starter next year. To that i say BS. It hasn"t been stated once that Green is close to Lee. If Lee has a good year this year there is absolutely no reason Green starts next year and furthermore absolutely no reason that Lee should have to be worried about a position battle. NONE. If you will recall, Pelini and Co. came in last year and said every position is up for grabs except QB, (Joe Ganz is our starter), which was said from day one. If Lee has a good year this year, all i am saying is that going into next year the same thing should be said for Lee.

I am tired of hearing how Green is the annointed one. Give Lee a chance and when he makes you all forget about Ganz (which he will) then Green can just wait another year to Play.

Oh yeah, on that you and I definitely agree. I feel the same about Rex. Until I see them on the field doing serious damage against quality opponents, I think you have to remain reserved but optimistic. Particularly with Rex, though, the level at which he played in high school is very promising for his future here. But with Green, a starter? God I hope not, because it'll more than likely mean Lee is a total bust and we're not making this decision for a good reason. What we should hope for is a nice long grooming period where Green will get the chance to raise his game in live experiences so that when the day comes––sooner or later––he'll be more prepared than he would have been riding the pine.