The anticipation is starting to get to me.

permafour

Greetings 'Husker faithful!

I just wanted to stop by and say hello, so to speak. I can tell you that Hokie nation is getting pretty amped up for Saturday's game. For me, the anticipation is close to level of the season opening game in Atlanta against Alabama. While that matchup was highly anticipated because of the stage, and it was the season opener, and it was two top-10 teams (at the time) ... our game against y'all has me pumped because it's at home. Plus it looks like it's going to be an evenly matched game.

Looking at covers.com, the majority of the books have Tech favored by 3.5. I remember reading a few years ago that we have one of the biggest home field advantages according to Vegas, and that most books rate it at about a TD (which gets factored into the line). Long story short - if this were a neutral site game, Vegas would have the 'Huskers favored!

I'm not going to lie, I don't feel super confident. (Don't get me wrong ... I feel good about our chances, just not super good.) Our biggest weakness on each side of the ball is our pass protection on offense and our young linebackers on defense.

Offensively, the passing game has been suspect, even at times against Marshall. Alabama's front 7 just made the o-line look lost on passing downs, and their secondary played very well. We had moderate success passing the ball against Marshall, but they still managed to attack & get some sacks. Our running game has looked damn good. Even against 'bama our offensive line got pretty good push. (The rushing stats against the Tide are a little skewed because of the 5 sacks taking yardage away.) And the box score against Marshall speaks for itself - 444 yard rushing, Ryan Williams & David Wilson with over 160 rushing yards each. I really hope that our game plan is run, run, and run ... with a little play action thrown in there. After seeing some of the success we had against Alabama, and the ridiculousness against Marshall, I feel like we can run the ball against nearly anyone.

Defensively, our secondary and defensive line are our strengths. Our starting boundary corner, Stephan Virgil, was out last week against Marshall, and I'm hoping he makes it back for 'braska. Without him, we still have talent in our secondary, but it's youthful talent. Our defensive line has looked solid so far, but we do lack some depth at defensive end. Provided we stay healthy there, and our defense is not on the field too long, the lack of DE depth shouldn't be a factor. We are breaking in some new linebackers this season, and it has cost us some points. They are talented, but they have made a few mental errors. Be happy that you get us early in the season - because once these guys get more comfortable in Foster's scheme, this should be a badass defense by the end of the year. Also - keep an eye out for Cody Grimm. He's the son of former Hog Russ Grimm. He's small for a major D-1 linebacker, but he is pound-for-pound the best football player on our defense. Very heady player, and he's not afraid to hit someone.

Well ... didn't expect to start talking football already, I really just wanted to say hey and wish your travelling fans a good trip to Blacksburg.

Let me know if you have any questions about Tech or Blacksburg.

Can't wait until Saturday!

Looking forwards to it also. Won't be in Blacksburg but I'll be glued to the tv. I know it's goin down to the wire!!! It'll be a good one. Wait until you see our qb that nobody knows!! Make sure you come back and post after the outcome. It seems so many show up and then don't come back. We'd enjoy it, win or lose. Later

Will do. My problem is that I'm usually recovering on Sundays regardless of the outcome of the game, and by Monday I'm looking towards the next one. ;)

permafor, a few questions:

Flying it to Roanoke on Thursday, believe we're staying in about 20 minutes outside of Blacksburg. Looking for a few things...

1. What type of day and nighttime temperatures do you expect this weekend.

2. Any advice of some wild and crazy guys, ages 30-34, looking for a good time?

- - best eateries, drinking holes, things to see, people to do, etc...

Flying it to Roanoke on Thursday, believe we're staying in about 20 minutes outside of Blacksburg. Looking for a few things...

1) Right now the forecast for Saturday in Blacksburg is highs in the mid-70's and lows in the mid 50's. I would expect the evening and early night (7'ish to 11'ish) to be in 60's.

2) Depends. Are these guys showing up? ;)

Let's see, off the top of my head ...

Eats - my personal favorites are Mike's Grill, Sub Station II, and Boudreaux's. Mike's has big, tasty burgers and calzones. It's a staple of Blacksburg. Sub Station II has very good subs - almost every time I go back to Blacksburg I end up grabbing a sub there. Boudreaux's is pretty good cajun place right in the middle of downtown.

Drinking holes - Can't go wrong with Sharkey's. Right in the middle of downtown, should be lots of scenery there. PK's & Hokie House are good, too. If you want something that's off the beaten path, and a bit more of a hole-in-the-wall, checkout the Underground. Rivermill has a good selection of beer.

Things to see - Campus. Take a walk around campus a little bit, checkout the drillfield (right in the middle of campus) the Duckpond. The April 16th memorial is in front of Burruss Hall in the drillfield. There's lots of outdoorsy stuff to do around Blacksburg, but I imagine you won't have time.

Do you know where you're staying?

1) Right now the forecast for Saturday in Blacksburg is highs in the mid-70's and lows in the mid 50's. I would expect the evening and early night (7'ish to 11'ish) to be in 60's.

2) Depends. Are these guys showing up? ;)

Let's see, off the top of my head ...

Eats - my personal favorites are Mike's Grill, Sub Station II, and Boudreaux's. Mike's has big, tasty burgers and calzones. It's a staple of Blacksburg. Sub Station II has very good subs - almost every time I go back to Blacksburg I end up grabbing a sub there. Boudreaux's is pretty good cajun place right in the middle of downtown.

Drinking holes - Can't go wrong with Sharkey's. Right in the middle of downtown, should be lots of scenery there. PK's & Hokie House are good, too. If you want something that's off the beaten path, and a bit more of a hole-in-the-wall, checkout the Underground. Rivermill has a good selection of beer.

Things to see - Campus. Take a walk around campus a little bit, checkout the drillfield (right in the middle of campus) the Duckpond. The April 16th memorial is in front of Burruss Hall in the drillfield. There's lots of outdoorsy stuff to do around Blacksburg, but I imagine you won't have time.

Do you know where you're staying?

Thanks for the tips man!

1) That's cooler than I would have thought.

2) Absolutely :nanalama

Staying at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center on Thursday night, somewhere different on Friday and Saturday night though. I'll get back to you with that.

Also, we typically enjoy one nice sit-down dinner, do Mikes or Boudreaux's qualify in that regard?

Thanks for the tips man!

1) That's cooler than I would have thought.

2) Absolutely :nanalama

Staying at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center on Thursday night, somewhere different on Friday and Saturday night though. I'll get back to you with that.

Also, we typically enjoy one nice sit-down dinner, do Mikes or Boudreaux's qualify in that regard?

Yup, Blacksburg is nestled in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, so it tends to be a bit cooler than even Roanoke. Perfect football weather, IMO.

Boudreaux's would qualify as a good, casual sit-down dinner. If you like Italian and want something a little bit nicer, check out Zeppoli's or Vincent's. It's been awhile since I've been to both, but last time I ate at each they were good.

Also - here's a back way to get to Blacksburg from Roanoke. Use this only if (1) you're driving from Roanoke to Blacksburg during the day, (2) you don't mind driving on windy back roads, and (3) you want to see country. LINK

You have to pay attention for the turn onto Blacksburg Rd in Catawba, but after that it's real easy - don't turn anywhere and you end up in the middle of Blacksburg.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention. There's a great place in Catawba called the Homeplace. Country cooking, family style. It's right off 311 before the turn onto Blacksburg Rd in the directions up there. Highly recommend it.

Permafour, thanks for stopping by!

Like you, I cannot wait for this game. I've honestly been thinking about this game since the Skers bowl game last year. This is the biggest game for Nebraska in a few years and I love that it's against VaTech. Nebraska hasn't beat a top 25 team on the road in a few years and it's been much longer (1997...i think) since a top 20 team has gone down on the road.

I've always been a VaTech fan mainly b/c your style of play. I love a strong running game and a strong defense....probably b/c I still have a Nebraska option hangover....

Anyway, good luck and I hope it is a good game, regardless of who comes out the victor....hopefully it's the dancing corn cobs! :corndance:corndance:corndance

Greetings 'Husker faithful!

I just wanted to stop by and say hello, so to speak. I can tell you that Hokie nation is getting pretty amped up for Saturday's game. For me, the anticipation is close to level of the season opening game in Atlanta against Alabama. While that matchup was highly anticipated because of the stage, and it was the season opener, and it was two top-10 teams (at the time) ... our game against y'all has me pumped because it's at home. Plus it looks like it's going to be an evenly matched game.

Looking at covers.com, the majority of the books have Tech favored by 3.5. I remember reading a few years ago that we have one of the biggest home field advantages according to Vegas, and that most books rate it at about a TD (which gets factored into the line). Long story short - if this were a neutral site game, Vegas would have the 'Huskers favored!

I'm not going to lie, I don't feel super confident. (Don't get me wrong ... I feel good about our chances, just not super good.) Our biggest weakness on each side of the ball is our pass protection on offense and our young linebackers on defense.

Offensively, the passing game has been suspect, even at times against Marshall. Alabama's front 7 just made the o-line look lost on passing downs, and their secondary played very well. We had moderate success passing the ball against Marshall, but they still managed to attack & get some sacks. Our running game has looked damn good. Even against 'bama our offensive line got pretty good push. (The rushing stats against the Tide are a little skewed because of the 5 sacks taking yardage away.) And the box score against Marshall speaks for itself - 444 yard rushing, Ryan Williams & David Wilson with over 160 rushing yards each. I really hope that our game plan is run, run, and run ... with a little play action thrown in there. After seeing some of the success we had against Alabama, and the ridiculousness against Marshall, I feel like we can run the ball against nearly anyone.

Defensively, our secondary and defensive line are our strengths. Our starting boundary corner, Stephan Virgil, was out last week against Marshall, and I'm hoping he makes it back for 'braska. Without him, we still have talent in our secondary, but it's youthful talent. Our defensive line has looked solid so far, but we do lack some depth at defensive end. Provided we stay healthy there, and our defense is not on the field too long, the lack of DE depth shouldn't be a factor. We are breaking in some new linebackers this season, and it has cost us some points. They are talented, but they have made a few mental errors. Be happy that you get us early in the season - because once these guys get more comfortable in Foster's scheme, this should be a badass defense by the end of the year. Also - keep an eye out for Cody Grimm. He's the son of former Hog Russ Grimm. He's small for a major D-1 linebacker, but he is pound-for-pound the best football player on our defense. Very heady player, and he's not afraid to hit someone.

Well ... didn't expect to start talking football already, I really just wanted to say hey and wish your travelling fans a good trip to Blacksburg.

Let me know if you have any questions about Tech or Blacksburg.

Can't wait until Saturday!

Great analysis!! Thanks for the info!