open letter to all husker fans

dtbugeater

dear husker fan,

please stop being so shallow minded.

It is a loss-- By 1 point-- to a team that was ranked higher than us-- in their home stadium.

the sky is not falling and our coaches and players are doing fine.

The reason you are upset is because the team performed reasonably well and almost won the game. With a couple more weapons or more experience the team probably wins the game by 21 (by scoring touchdowns instead of field goals). It was not an embarrassing loss, and most reasonable people who watched that game probably think nebraska is better than they thought they were last week. The defense was amazing for 58 minutes. The offense showed it can actually run the ball. Special teams were special.

Bo and company will focus on closing the deal and watson and co will need to figure out how to score in the red zone. we figure those things out and we could be in for a great big 12 season and an even better 2010.

I LOVE nebraska football, and I love this message board--but lets not turn this into something it is not. The team lost a game that almost everyone expected us to lose before the season started. That does not mean a coach or O.C. or player is incompetent. It just means we lost a game.

If you want off the bandwagon, feel free to jump off now--I think we are in for a great ride in the near future! :boxosoap

I don't disagree with you on any point, really.

What I'm disappointed in is this game, to me, is symptomatic of the program right now. The team has confidence, but it seems to be of the kind where you constantly need to look at each other to make sure you are confident. Maybe it'll blossom here real soon, but my big bitch of the night is the 4th and 1 punting call. For me it's not even hindsight bias. The minute I saw the punt team take the field my heart nearly stopped.

Like I've been saying all over the place, the day this team has the confidence to convert a fourth and one and the balls to actually attempt it, we'll be back. Until then, waffling performances for all.

What I'm disappointed in is this game, to me, is symptomatic of the program right now. The team has confidence, but it seems to be of the kind where you constantly need to look at each other to make sure you are confident. Maybe it'll blossom here real soon, but my big bitch of the night is the 4th and 1 punting call. For me it's not even hindsight bias. The minute I saw the punt team take the field my heart nearly stopped.

Like I've been saying all over the place, the day this team has the confidence to convert a fourth and one and the balls to actually attempt it, we'll be back. Until then, waffling performances for all.

It doesn't matter how many times you post your favorite gripe, in five dozen threads, that was the correct call. Big Willie explained it to you, and if you were watching the game you should understand why we punted.

We are going to be just fine. This is one loss, by one point, in a tremendously difficult environment. Let's not blow this thing completely out of proportion.

A loss is a loss. We did good things, but we did bad things, more so the bad things, and thats why we didn't win. Execution was the problem.

But you learn from your mistakes, so im not worried about it.

Like i said before we still look very good at 10 - 2 this year. The OU game will be a close one as well.

It doesn't matter how many times you post your favorite gripe, in five dozen threads, that was the correct call. Big Willie explained it to you, and if you were watching the game you should understand why we punted.

We are going to be just fine. This is one loss, by one point, in a tremendously difficult environment. Let's not blow this thing completely out of proportion.

Well God bless BigWillie. :)

His explanation, like everyone else's, including mine, is wholly a matter of opinion. What everyone seems to overlook who presents it, however, is that even in the off-chance the conversion didn't work, we still would have had our stellar defense defending sixty yards of turf against a poor passing team with zero timeouts. In my favorite bitch scenario, we got two chances.

Can't take back time, though, more's the pity. But please, save the patronizing for someone else.

Carrot vs stick.

You say we have sixty yards and a stellar defense. But no defense can just rest on talent and laurels. The previous however many minutes of the game? They don't matter any more. All that matters is those 11 guys on the field, 1 minute to go, however many yards left.

The carrot is you can ice the game. And that's powerful incentive.

The stick is if you don't - and VT has a stout defense themselves - you get the home crowd roaring, and that VT offense coming out with fire in their eyes. And 3 timeouts.

That is a WORLD of difference from accepting the 4th down and pinning them deep, letting their battered QB come out seeing that long field, and everyone in the crowd feeling their hearts thump in their chests as they hope for the impossible.

Good call in my book.

I havent seen this bad of a offense since Solich NU team was playing Oklahoma at home where I was yelling punt on third down since that was the best play they had. <_<

We just played the best defense we're going to see until the Bowl Game, and we racked up 340+ yards of offense. They stiffened up a LOT close to the goal line, as good defenses will do, yet we were still in a position to win until a couple of low-percentage plays were completed against us.

Helu ran for a career-high against this VA Tech D.

Carrot vs stick.

You say we have sixty yards and a stellar defense. But no defense can just rest on talent and laurels. The previous however many minutes of the game? They don't matter any more. All that matters is those 11 guys on the field, 1 minute to go, however many yards left.

The carrot is you can ice the game. And that's powerful incentive.

The stick is if you don't - and VT has a stout defense themselves - you get the home crowd roaring, and that VT offense coming out with fire in their eyes. And 3 timeouts.

That is a WORLD of difference from accepting the 4th down and pinning them deep, letting their battered QB come out seeing that long field, and everyone in the crowd feeling their hearts thump in their chests as they hope for the impossible.

Good call in my book.

Forget the situation for a moment.

Imagine Pete Carroll standing on the sideline. Imagine Urban Meyer standing on the sideline.

I know I'm making an unprovable point (but I will not admit that the failed aftermath of the call is proof that it was the right call, either). You want to win football games? You want to prove something to everyone? Then attack. Get the damn yard. If you don't, keep the sixty behind you untrodden upon. But if you do, well, how great is thatl? I like football. Football is about aggression every bit as much as discipline and intelligence. Sometimes the right call is the risky call. If it fails, oh well. At least you lowered your pads and went for it.

Worse that boring all of you, I'm now boring myself chattering about this. I have the slight advantage of not knowing whether my call would have worked whereas everyone knows the safe call ended up a disaster by giving the opposing offense a shot. Whatever might have been wasn't. But there's always the What If.....

On to next week––––––>

Bottom line is after a DEVESTATING start (0 yards 1st quarter), we rebounded and gave ourselves several opportunities to win the game. The tragedy is we shot ourselves in the foot every time we had the chance.

5 fieldgoals should tell you the whole story. We have issues executing during "big" moments (ie. every time we got in the redzone). This is something that needs to be fixed and can be fixed. It's a mentality issue and a big part of it is a very young team. It's also an issue of rhythm and chemistry.. that too has much to do with being very young and untested.

It was another heartbreak.

Tomorrow the team will regroup and hit the film. That is one positive, I suppose, that we were tested in a big way and have lots to learn from it, and we have a 1-game buffer before the conference season to get things fixed.

Tomorrow we the fans will still have a bitter taste in our mouths, and it will remain until the next big win (don't forget about clemson). BO can win big games. BO will win big games.

Here's to a smashing conference season!

[:cheers]

PS. If we had an Ndamukong Suh on offense, we would be contenders.