Please help

fishnfrank

During the game this weekend, they played the 10 greatest plays of Nebraska history. Who was it that put the huge hit on the OU player that totally blindsided him. And does anybody have a link. Thanks

Was that the hit on a kickoff that they ruled was not a fumble?

It was the "non" fumble on Kelly Phelps by Tom Ruud where they called it dead because Phelps' forward progress was stopped.. which still makes no sense. Though it was a punt return not a kick return I believe.

During the game this weekend, they played the 10 greatest plays of Nebraska history. Who was it that put the huge hit on the OU player that totally blindsided him. And does anybody have a link. Thanks

Was that the hit on a kickoff that they ruled was not a fumble?

It was the "non" fumble on Kelly Phelps by Tom Ruud where they called it dead because Phelps' forward progress was stopped.. which still makes no sense. Though it was a punt return not a kick return I believe.

No, it was definitely a kickoff return.

I heard an explanation many, many years later that the official had already blown the play dead because Phelps' foot was out of bounds when he caught the kick. This would make more sense because there's absolutely no question whatsoever that the ball popped out when Ruud smacked Phelps. You'd have to find the game film to see where the ball was spotted for the next play to see if that's true. If it was spotted back where Phelps caught the kick, it's because he was OB. If it's spotted where he got hit, blown call.

As I remember, King broke a big play loose to midfield a play or two later, than Sims nearly scored but coughed the ball up inside the 5. So it almost cost us the game, but it turned out well.