Mizzou position breakdown

DocNice

498 vs 155. They didn't ALMOST win.

Funny, I don't remember total yardage determining who wins and loses. I always thought it was total points in the game, but maybe I'm wrong.

And maybe I'm crazy, but I could have sworn it was 27 to 24 midway through the fourth quarter. Hmmm, but the score doesn't matter...only total yardage. Nevermind.

Except for when NU plays VT cause our stats didn't matter, us losing by one point is all that mattered. And I find it ironic that since this was brought up, there hasn't been a Missouri fan trying to disclaim this or otherwise.

Come now. I've not said anything that would require me being put on ignore. I just have a dissenting opinion.

I personally only started bringing up the non-con and previous once a couple of Missouri fans tried to rip our non-con.

But you are absolutely right. Previous games bring NOTHING to the table as far as predicting a win. It's nice to brag about a streak, but really proves nothing.

Perfect example would be the Nebraska team after 95. In 95, they trounced Arizona St. 73-28. The next year, Nebraska got shut out 19-0 by ASU. No one predicted a loss that bad.

VT is overrated? They were beating Alabama for a while in the 4th & Alabama is one of the best teams in the country, maybe the best. I'm pretty sure Alabama would crush Missouri

Dude, Alabama outgained them 498 to 155. Let me repeat that, 155 yards of total offense. Almost all of VT's points came off turnovers and special teams. Don't make it sound like they hung with the Tide. VT is so clearly overrated. The only people that don't see that are the ones with something to lose by them not being top 10. I mean, they've got a nice rushing game and a decent defense, but this is a top 25 team, not top 6. They're only that high because voters can't figure out any top teams this year. Nobody is separating themselves.

that is the way they have been playing and winning for years. 10 wins for how many years in a row??

and what about the beating they gave miami?

Good deduction.

Im taking anything away from the Mizzou players, but quite frankly i feel that their is more experience, talent and depth on the Husker side than the Mizzou side.

QB - Zac Lee is almost in the same boat as Gabbert, athletically speaking of course, they both have flaws and will be pretty close when the stats end this year and need work throughout the season, and it will be fun to watch both their development. Lee's major flaw is playing in a hostile environment and getting a rhythm when on the road, though we only have one game to go by on that, the Mizzou one will be another big test for him.

RB - Im just going to flat out say it, Helu is better than Washington, and i think Burkhead will be ok running against them as well.

WR - This could be looked as a weakness, Huskers came into the season with the notion that TE's would get more use than WR's, but quite frankly its been passed around pretty evenly, maybe more so for the WR. Even though we dont have a firm set of WR's yet, there are a lot that stand out. Such as Gilleylen, Brooks, Holt, and Paul. Even the backups have gotten some attention like Cooper, Kinnie, and Bell.

Offesive line - What can i say, would Helu be able to slash his through the first 4 games like he with crummy blocking? Or would Lee only have been sacked 3 times this year if the blocking that was that bad?

Defensive line - C'mon, do i need to go here? We held VaTech to 16 points. And 13 of them came from two bad defensive stands. I wouldn't expect any less of an outstanding performance from the Husker defense line on Thursday.

LB - Although they are young, they have been doing a great job learning the position and have helped with the fact that Huskers have only given up 28 points in just 4 games.

Coverage - Gabbert has a strong arm, and has proved it in the past 4 games, our coverage will be tested if the DL cant put enough pressure on him to make mistakes.

Keys to a Husker victory...

We must win the turnover battle, whether it comes with INT's or fumbles, we have to win it.

Lee must be able to get into a passing rhytme should the running game get a little flaky. He must come out and take charge of the offense against the crowd.

Helu must be prepared to run good and hard against the Tigers if Lee cant get things together with the passing game.

DL needs to apply pressure to Gabbert, make him force throws or put it up for grabs, LB need to watch Gabbert's speed, and the coverage needs to get picks or swat away passes when the ball is thrown. NO BLOWN COVERAGES!!!

Thanks for the breakdown. Based on what you and others said, here's how I see the "talent comparison". This doesn't really mean head to head advantage, but it's fun for fans to talk about. I'm sure others will see things differently, because I see an advantage for Mizzou.

QB:

Gabbert - Passing yards ranked 9 (despite 2nd fewest attempts in top 10), passing efficiency ranked 9th (one of 2 players in top 10 for yards and effieciency, plus he's top 10 in total offense), 0 INTs, 11 TDs, somewhat untested, but so far plays better under pressure situations.

Lee - Passing yards ranked 42, passing efficiency ranked 22, 3 INTs, 7 TDs, 11 for 30 in his toughest game

Advantage: Gabbert

RB:

Washington - Very good back. 45% of team carries, 4.4 YPC, 75 YPG, voted 2nd team all conference

Helu - Very good back, likely will finish over 1,000 yards barring injury and good potential for all conference team, 6.3 YPC, 116 YPG

Advantage: Slight edge to Helu based on season so far. Advantage last year was Washington. Given other factors such as O-line and depth, I'm tempted to call this one a push, but for the sake of argument, I'll say slight advantage Helu.

WR:

Mizzou: 3 proven playmakers who will contend for all conference this year, plus players with lots of potential in the wings

Nebraska: From what I've seen and the comments on this board a solid but not great group.

Advantage: Significant Mizzou advantage

O-Line:

Mizzou: 3 of the 5 are above average to very good. 1 position is average and the other position below average. As a group, they are playing average right now (season as a whole, not just Nevada), but have potential to be above average.

Nebraska: From what I know, they've consistently opened holes and protected the QB even against good competition.

Advantage: Significant advantage in production for NU, slight advantage in talent I'll say, though I do think Mizzou can make up ground here. Offensive Line is the 2nd hardest position to master in college football, and we've got 3 freshmen (including 2 true frosh) and 5 sophomores in the 2 deep, with only 1 Jr and 1 Sr. This group will improve, the question is how much. Offensive lines this young generally aren't very good at all. We've been more inconsistent: good at times and bad at times.

D-line:

Mizzou: Our defensive end rotation is the best I've ever seen at Mizzou. We have a 3 headed monster here and sometimes they're all on the field at the same time. At least one of them will go pro, and 2 have a legit shot. They run like linebackers, but have enough beef and talent to play the rush well. DT, we've got more talent than they're playing. Jaron Baston is a proven playmaker, but a step down from our NFL level DTs the last few years that clogged the middle. Sophomore Terrell Resonno is physically very very talented, but hasn't had production to match. He MIGHT play in the NFL one day, but right now he needs better technique and more of a mean streak. His backup and the 3rd main rotation player is most likely to get pushed around by a good offensive line.

Nebraska: Suh. Enough said. Plus I hear good things about his counterpart. I've also heard you've got good but not special DE's and pass rush. A good DT makes a pass rush look better because the QB can't step forward though.

Advantage: You guys aren't going to like this, but I'm calling this one a push. You've got better run stopping, but we've got better pass rush and edge pursuit. I would be open to arguments though. I do think NU could outplay us here if your ends play really smart assignment football, but on talent alone, I do think it's a push, mainly because of Suh.

LB:

Mizzou: Sean Weatherspoon, All American candidate. 2 deep at every position, all of them faster than your average LB. As a unit, probably one of the top 2 or 3 fastest LB corps in the conference. And they hit really hard. Easily the best LB unit we've had at Mizzou.

Nebraska: From what I hear, you've brought in some talented new players that have upgraded your speed. I'd say that's equivalent to Mizzou's 2nd team, and I mean that as a compliment, because those guys will play almost equal time with the starters. They're really good. However, we still have the starters as well, so...

Advantage: Mizzou

Secondary:

Mizzou: Much maligned last year, one of worst in the country. However, that wasn't due to lack of talent. We were worst in the nation in long plays given up, and players openly and in the media complained that communication was bad and sometimes they didn't know what defense they were supposed to be playing. Bad bad bad. Even if they just cut big plays in half, still over the national average, we'd have been ranked in the 50s in pass defense against the Big 12 QBs. Not horrible. This team has the most speed we've ever had on secondary, and leads the conference in fewest big plays under new defensive coordinator Dave Steckel. We've faced some pretty decent QBs and are doing alright in pass defense. We're not going to be Florida or Oklahoma, but this secondary I think is going to end the year pretty respected. I expect top 5 in conference and possibly top 3.

Nebraska: From what I've seen here this is the weak link in your defense and really could get tested. Unknown whether can hold their own or not against a good passing attack.

Advantage: Mizzou, possibly big advantage.

:facepalm: Your running back and d-line conclusions . . . (2 yards less per carry against better competition and you call it a push?! And d-line . . . my head hurts.)

We're not talking about production, we're talking about talent. DWash has already been voted 2nd team all conference. Considering he's the leading returning rusher and already acheived higher accolades and we both agree that your line is opening more holes, I think a push is quite defensible, yet I still gave you the slight advantage. Not sure what you're complaining about.

And I knew you wouldn't like the D-line comment. I based it on the fact that we have better ends and you have better tackles. If you think your ends are better than I'm giving credit for, then make that argument. If you think that the tackles are really the key to a line, or that Suh is just that dominant, then make that argument. But if your argument is "Suh good, him smash" then I'm not sold.

our ends are very solid.... not great, but solid. suh will clearly be the best player on the field. there are people listing him to be the #1 overall pick in the draft. and our other tackles is a stud too....just look at his #'s.... you just dont hear about him because of suh. but he is good enough to keep Baker out of the starting line up. I would say our ends are as good as your tackles, and your ends aren't anywhere near as good as our tackles....not even debatable

We're not talking about production, we're talking about talent. DWash has already been voted 2nd team all conference. Considering he's the leading returning rusher and already acheived higher accolades and we both agree that your line is opening more holes, I think a push is quite defensible, yet I still gave you the slight advantage. Not sure what you're complaining about.

And I knew you wouldn't like the D-line comment. I based it on the fact that we have better ends and you have better tackles. If you think your ends are better than I'm giving credit for, then make that argument. If you think that the tackles are really the key to a line, or that Suh is just that dominant, then make that argument. But if your argument is "Suh good, him smash" then I'm not sold.

RB: if we're talking about talent and not production, then how can you say the O-line is better, but discount that when evaluating the RB?

TE: I don't know much about your TE's. We've taken a huge step back there, but still have some good options compared to most teams. Andrew Jones had 20 catches last year behind Chase Coffman.

Defensive line: Like I said, I'm open to arguments here. I think it comes down to how good your DE's are because I've already given you the DT advantage. Your info on sacks is compelling, but it seems that most of it is not coming from your DE's when looking at the stats, whereas most of Mizzou's are from the DE's. Mizzou also has more tackles for loss than NU and a higher percentage coming from the DEs. Of course, with a player like Suh, it's not enough to call it a slight advantage for Mizzou at DE to even out the whole d-line.

DB: we'll see. Have you played a good passing team yet? I still say this is advantage Mizzou, but at best it's a push.

I don't understand your use of the word talent to say D. Washington is better. Talent is equivalent to the level of production a player exhibits. POTENTIAL is what a player has until they develop and try to realize that potential. If they are a high potential player and realize that potential then they become a highly talented player. Some players exceed the potential ceilings that they were thought to have and become highly productive, i.e. talented, players. Some players don't realize their potential and thus aren't really talented, they just continue to have a lot of potential. In some cases players loose the ability to put out a high level of production and thus are not as talented at that time as other players are. Roy Helu is the #11 Rusher in the nation right now. D. Washington doesn't look like the same player he was prior to his injury last season, he earned that 2nd Team Conference Award primarily before he got hurt. The other thing that is skewed in your assertion that being 2nd Team all conference means D. Washington is better than Roy is that Roy actually had a better year in than D. Washington in yards per carry, Roy had 52 less carries than Washington. If Roy was given another 52 carries, assuming his YPC average held true, he would have rushed for 1133 yards and out rushed Washington by 100 yards. Having Roy Helu over D. Washington gives NU a big edge right now.

If I wanted to say production, I would have just said production. By your standard, Texas Tech has the most talented QB in the league every year.

Was this due to poor execution by Bama, or if VT was being their usual selves? VT's offense tends to have a short field to work with. The defense and special teams frequently put points on the board, too. I think that pointing to offensive yardage stats says as little about VT's performance in that game as it does about Mizzou's performance in the Bowling Green game. Those yardage totals can be incredibly deceiving.

Exactly. Dogging on VT for having few offensive yards is like dogging on 90s-era Nebraska for having no passing yards. We dominated on the ground back then. VT dominates Special Teams now. Disregarding this part of their game, and its effect on any other game, is pretty foolish.

Are you for real? You're actually saying VT's 155 yards is not a condemnation of them because they had a kick return?

Funny, I don't remember total yardage determining who wins and loses. I always thought it was total points in the game, but maybe I'm wrong.

And maybe I'm crazy, but I could have sworn it was 27 to 24 midway through the fourth quarter. Hmmm, but the score doesn't matter...only total yardage. Nevermind.

We're not talking about outgaining someone by 50, or 100 yards. We're not even talking about outgaining them by 200 yards, which normally would be considered a smackdown. They were outgained by 343 yards! 343. That equals the entire offensive output of Nebraska. 343 yards means you got your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad, which is exactly what happened if you watched.

Now, even if you're so blind that you can't accept that, I still have point #2, which is that a top 6 team does not, under any circumstances even if their entire first team gets injured, put up 155 yards of total offense. Period.

Except for when NU plays VT cause our stats didn't matter, us losing by one point is all that mattered. And I find it ironic that since this was brought up, there hasn't been a Missouri fan trying to disclaim this or otherwise.

I don't get it. VT was dominated statistically and lost by double digits. But the stats supposedly don't matter. Nebraska was moderately better statistically and lost. And now the stats matter? What part of this is supposed to favor you?

VT is overrated? They were beating Alabama for a while in the 4th & Alabama is one of the best teams in the country, maybe the best. I'm pretty sure Alabama would crush Missouri

Dude, Alabama outgained them 498 to 155. Let me repeat that, 155 yards of total offense. Almost all of VT's points came off turnovers and special teams. Don't make it sound like they hung with the Tide. VT is so clearly overrated. The only people that don't see that are the ones with something to lose by them not being top 10. I mean, they've got a nice rushing game and a decent defense, but this is a top 25 team, not top 6. They're only that high because voters can't figure out any top teams this year. Nobody is separating themselves.

that is the way they have been playing and winning for years. 10 wins for how many years in a row??

They've been getting outgained by more than 3 to 1 and winning? Can you provide any such game in the history of Virginia Tech where they were outgained by 3 to 1 and won?

The beating they gave Miami was impressive, but it goes to show what I said after I watched the FSU game, they have no defense. And as for VT's defense, they shut you both down pretty well. Miami did slightly worse offensively, but of course they are a pass happy team that was playing in a downpour too. And of course, the win over Miami is predicated on the idea that Miami is good, which is not a proven thing itself.

Good deduction.

Im taking anything away from the Mizzou players, but quite frankly i feel that their is more experience, talent and depth on the Husker side than the Mizzou side.

QB - Zac Lee is almost in the same boat as Gabbert, athletically speaking of course, they both have flaws and will be pretty close when the stats end this year and need work throughout the season, and it will be fun to watch both their development. Lee's major flaw is playing in a hostile environment and getting a rhythm when on the road, though we only have one game to go by on that, the Mizzou one will be another big test for him.

RB - Im just going to flat out say it, Helu is better than Washington, and i think Burkhead will be ok running against them as well.

WR - This could be looked as a weakness, Huskers came into the season with the notion that TE's would get more use than WR's, but quite frankly its been passed around pretty evenly, maybe more so for the WR. Even though we dont have a firm set of WR's yet, there are a lot that stand out. Such as Gilleylen, Brooks, Holt, and Paul. Even the backups have gotten some attention like Cooper, Kinnie, and Bell.

Offesive line - What can i say, would Helu be able to slash his through the first 4 games like he with crummy blocking? Or would Lee only have been sacked 3 times this year if the blocking that was that bad?

Defensive line - C'mon, do i need to go here? We held VaTech to 16 points. And 13 of them came from two bad defensive stands. I wouldn't expect any less of an outstanding performance from the Husker defense line on Thursday.

LB - Although they are young, they have been doing a great job learning the position and have helped with the fact that Huskers have only given up 28 points in just 4 games.

Coverage - Gabbert has a strong arm, and has proved it in the past 4 games, our coverage will be tested if the DL cant put enough pressure on him to make mistakes.

We must win the turnover battle, whether it comes with INT's or fumbles, we have to win it.

Lee must be able to get into a passing rhytme should the running game get a little flaky. He must come out and take charge of the offense against the crowd.

Helu must be prepared to run good and hard against the Tigers if Lee cant get things together with the passing game.

DL needs to apply pressure to Gabbert, make him force throws or put it up for grabs, LB need to watch Gabbert's speed, and the coverage needs to get picks or swat away passes when the ball is thrown. NO BLOWN COVERAGES!!!

Thanks for the breakdown. Based on what you and others said, here's how I see the "talent comparison". This doesn't really mean head to head advantage, but it's fun for fans to talk about. I'm sure others will see things differently, because I see an advantage for Mizzou.

QB:

Gabbert - Passing yards ranked 9 (despite 2nd fewest attempts in top 10), passing efficiency ranked 9th (one of 2 players in top 10 for yards and effieciency, plus he's top 10 in total offense), 0 INTs, 11 TDs, somewhat untested, but so far plays better under pressure situations.

Lee - Passing yards ranked 42, passing efficiency ranked 22, 3 INTs, 7 TDs, 11 for 30 in his toughest game

RB:

Washington - Very good back. 45% of team carries, 4.4 YPC, 75 YPG, voted 2nd team all conference

Helu - Very good back, likely will finish over 1,000 yards barring injury and good potential for all conference team, 6.3 YPC, 116 YPG

Advantage: Slight edge to Helu based on season so far. Advantage last year was Washington. Given other factors such as O-line and depth, I'm tempted to call this one a push, but for the sake of argument, I'll say slight advantage Helu.

WR:

Mizzou: 3 proven playmakers who will contend for all conference this year, plus players with lots of potential in the wings

Nebraska: From what I've seen and the comments on this board a solid but not great group.

O-Line:

Mizzou: 3 of the 5 are above average to very good. 1 position is average and the other position below average. As a group, they are playing average right now (season as a whole, not just Nevada), but have potential to be above average.

Nebraska: From what I know, they've consistently opened holes and protected the QB even against good competition.

Advantage: Significant advantage in production for NU, slight advantage in talent I'll say, though I do think Mizzou can make up ground here. Offensive Line is the 2nd hardest position to master in college football, and we've got 3 freshmen (including 2 true frosh) and 5 sophomores in the 2 deep, with only 1 Jr and 1 Sr. This group will improve, the question is how much. Offensive lines this young generally aren't very good at all. We've been more inconsistent: good at times and bad at times.

D-line:

Mizzou: Our defensive end rotation is the best I've ever seen at Mizzou. We have a 3 headed monster here and sometimes they're all on the field at the same time. At least one of them will go pro, and 2 have a legit shot. They run like linebackers, but have enough beef and talent to play the rush well. DT, we've got more talent than they're playing. Jaron Baston is a proven playmaker, but a step down from our NFL level DTs the last few years that clogged the middle. Sophomore Terrell Resonno is physically very very talented, but hasn't had production to match. He MIGHT play in the NFL one day, but right now he needs better technique and more of a mean streak. His backup and the 3rd main rotation player is most likely to get pushed around by a good offensive line.

Nebraska: Suh. Enough said. Plus I hear good things about his counterpart. I've also heard you've got good but not special DE's and pass rush. A good DT makes a pass rush look better because the QB can't step forward though.

Advantage: You guys aren't going to like this, but I'm calling this one a push. You've got better run stopping, but we've got better pass rush and edge pursuit. I would be open to arguments though. I do think NU could outplay us here if your ends play really smart assignment football, but on talent alone, I do think it's a push, mainly because of Suh.

LB:

Mizzou: Sean Weatherspoon, All American candidate. 2 deep at every position, all of them faster than your average LB. As a unit, probably one of the top 2 or 3 fastest LB corps in the conference. And they hit really hard. Easily the best LB unit we've had at Mizzou.

Nebraska: From what I hear, you've brought in some talented new players that have upgraded your speed. I'd say that's equivalent to Mizzou's 2nd team, and I mean that as a compliment, because those guys will play almost equal time with the starters. They're really good. However, we still have the starters as well, so...

Secondary:

Mizzou: Much maligned last year, one of worst in the country. However, that wasn't due to lack of talent. We were worst in the nation in long plays given up, and players openly and in the media complained that communication was bad and sometimes they didn't know what defense they were supposed to be playing. Bad bad bad. Even if they just cut big plays in half, still over the national average, we'd have been ranked in the 50s in pass defense against the Big 12 QBs. Not horrible. This team has the most speed we've ever had on secondary, and leads the conference in fewest big plays under new defensive coordinator Dave Steckel. We've faced some pretty decent QBs and are doing alright in pass defense. We're not going to be Florida or Oklahoma, but this secondary I think is going to end the year pretty respected. I expect top 5 in conference and possibly top 3.

Nebraska: From what I've seen here this is the weak link in your defense and really could get tested. Unknown whether can hold their own or not against a good passing attack.

:facepalm: Your running back and d-line conclusions . . . (2 yards less per carry against better competition and you call it a push?! And d-line . . . my head hurts.)

our ends are very solid.... not great, but solid. suh will clearly be the best player on the field. there are people listing him to be the #1 overall pick in the draft. and our other tackles is a stud too....just look at his #'s.... you just dont hear about him because of suh. but he is good enough to keep Baker out of the starting line up. I would say our ends are as good as your tackles, and your ends aren't anywhere near as good as our tackles....not even debatable

Okay, that's a good argument, I'll give a slight edge to Nebraska.

We're not talking about outgaining someone by 50, or 100 yards. We're not even talking about outgaining them by 200 yards, which normally would be considered a smackdown. They were outgained by 343 yards! 343. That equals the entire offensive output of Nebraska. 343 yards means you got your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad, which is exactly what happened if you watched.

Now, even if you're so blind that you can't accept that, I still have point #2, which is that a top 6 team does not, under any circumstances even if their entire first team gets injured, put up 155 yards of total offense. Period.

Can't we just use the excuse that VT simply played like sh#t against Bama, despite tons of world-beating talent? Or has the Mizzou fan base used that one up already since the Bowling Green game?

Good deduction.

QB:

RB:

WR:

O-Line:

D-line:

LB:

Secondary:

Okay, that's a good argument, I'll give a slight edge to Nebraska.

lol apparently he is a good baseball player too.... I am so tired :dumdum

They've been getting outgained by more than 3 to 1 and winning? Can you provide any such game in the history of Virginia Tech where they were outgained by 3 to 1 and won?

The beating they gave Miami was impressive, but it goes to show what I said after I watched the FSU game, they have no defense. And as for VT's defense, they shut you both down pretty well. Miami did slightly worse offensively, but of course they are a pass happy team that was playing in a downpour too. And of course, the win over Miami is predicated on the idea that Miami is good, which is not a proven thing itself.

they didnt win that game....... but you know what I am getting at.

as for miami not proving themselves....... that could be said about anyone.... seems like we have some strawman arguments here.

I don't get it. VT was dominated statistically and lost by double digits. But the stats supposedly don't matter. Nebraska was moderately better statistically and lost. And now the stats matter? What part of this is supposed to favor you?

I havent heard anyone claim that stats matter in our game vs Virginia Tech, the only thing that matters is that we f&^%ing lost

& regardless of what you & your brillance say, I wouldnt call losing a game that you were winning in the 4th quarter against a f^cking good football team getting "your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad".

You wanna see getting your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad, turn on the Nebraska Missouri game. I highly doubt you guys score more than 7 on us

I havent heard anyone claim that stats matter in our game vs Virginia Tech, the only thing that matters is that we f&^%ing lost

& regardless of what you & your brillance say, I wouldnt call losing a game that you were winning in the 4th quarter against a f^cking good football team getting "your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad".

You wanna see getting your ass kicked up and down the field like a JV squad, turn on the Nebraska Missouri game. I highly doubt you guys score more than 7 on us

Someone do me a favor and make sure this guy is nowhere near any firearms on Thursday night.