Mizzou position breakdown

DocNice

DocNice,

I'm not sure how I feel about your post on Va. Tech vs Alabama. Do you fail to realize that special teams is just as important as offense and defense? Va. Tech's special teams ripped Alabama a new one. Two of Tech's touchdowns were set up by big kick returns.

Overall NEBRASKA held Va. Tech to 16 points at HOME. ALABAMA held Va. Tech to 24 points at a NEUTRAL site. I know you may want to look at offensive statistics and defensive statistics, but what it comes down to is points, and a lot of the time special teams contributes to the points. Even an Alabama team has a hard time stopping a team when they consistently start with good field position.

I think everyone is quick to discount Va. Tech because of the way they win football games They win games with the field position battle and blocking kicks, and with a superb defense. To try to refute this is illogical because they have proven that it works year after year.

Are they going to be national title contenders playing this way?

Probably not.

But to say they are an average team cause they put up only 155 yards on Alabama is ridiculous. There must be some reason they were winning the game with 13:00 minutes left in the fourth, and please please please don't say its cause Alabama is overrated.

Repeat after me. Top 6 teams do not put 155 yards up against anyone. Period. Pretty easy.

And no, special teams are not as important as offense and defense. If they were, you'd see more than 10 teams in the country with special teams coaches. When was the last time a team fired its special teams coordinators? No, special teams are the difference in close games. Getting your ass handed to you 498 to 155 is what wins and loses games. VT had one special teams play and two big offensive plays for the entire game. That encompasses their entire offensive night. Sorry, but that's not a top 6 team.

I don't understand why this argument is so hard for you guys to admit. Why can't you just say what the entire country realizes: that VT is a good team but not top 6? Even the voters feel bad about them ending that high, they just don't know who else to put there, because nobody else is all that good either.

If you just admit that, then we can move on and I'll give you mad props for staying with a top 15 or 20 team.

DocNice,

I'm not sure how I feel about your post on Va. Tech vs Alabama. Do you fail to realize that special teams is just as important as offense and defense? Va. Tech's special teams ripped Alabama a new one. Two of Tech's touchdowns were set up by big kick returns.

Overall NEBRASKA held Va. Tech to 16 points at HOME. ALABAMA held Va. Tech to 24 points at a NEUTRAL site. I know you may want to look at offensive statistics and defensive statistics, but what it comes down to is points, and a lot of the time special teams contributes to the points. Even an Alabama team has a hard time stopping a team when they consistently start with good field position.

I think everyone is quick to discount Va. Tech because of the way they win football games They win games with the field position battle and blocking kicks, and with a superb defense. To try to refute this is illogical because they have proven that it works year after year.

Probably not.

But to say they are an average team cause they put up only 155 yards on Alabama is ridiculous. There must be some reason they were winning the game with 13:00 minutes left in the fourth, and please please please don't say its cause Alabama is overrated.

Repeat after me. Top 6 teams do not put 155 yards up against anyone. Period. Pretty easy.

And no, special teams are not as important as offense and defense.

*cough* Bull$hit *cough*

Someone do me a favor and make sure this guy is nowhere near any firearms on Thursday night.

Just be sure you lock your own gun cabinet and give the key to your wife before the game starts. No matter how much you try to talk yourself into a win here, nothing you've brought up shows any kind of advantage for Missouri in this game.

Except for the part where your passing game disappeared against a team with a pulse, and you haven't faced a team that has discovered the forward pass.

and you have faced?????? and yes we have faced a team that can pass.

lets talk about the teams that have exposed you..... Nevada .... exposed your defense inability to stop the run. that would be 0-3 nevada.

Bowling Green(1-3). once again your new and improved defense gets exposed by a team that is clearly inferior to anyone we have played. that would be the same bowling green that lost to MARSHALL (who got beat by tech 52-10 and gave up 444 yards on the ground.

Missouri

Rushing:

3.16 Yards per Carry against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 3.85 per carry)

4.11 Yards per Carry against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 5.36 per carry)

2.29 Yards per Carry against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 3.78 per carry)

So, Missouri's offense is achieving 73% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.3 Yards per attempt against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 7.6 per attempt)

5.2 Yards per attempt against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 6.5 per attempt)

10.4 Yards per attempt against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 11.6 per attempt)

So, Missouri's offense is acheiving 97% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

*In general, these are skewed slightly against Missouri because Boise State throttled BG's defense.

*No stats available for Furman.

Nebraska

Rushing:

8.09 Yards per carry against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 6.58 per carry)

4.86 Yards per carry against Arkansas State (defensive average of 3.23 per carry)

5.75 Yards per carry against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 4.49)

3.91 Yards per carry against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 4.00)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 125% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.2 Yards per attempt against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 8.6 per attempt)

8.7 Yards per attempt against Arkansas State (defensive average of 7.3 per attempt)

4.5 Yards per attempt against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 5.4 per attempt)

11.5 Yards per attempt against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 7.9 per attempt)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 114% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

-------

Nebraska's defense gives up 113 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 83 yards.

Nebraska's defense gives up 170 passing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their passing trend, they will pass for 165 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 134 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 167 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 218 passing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will pass for 249 yards.

Missouri total offense: 248 yards

Nebraska total offense: 416 yards

-------

Missouri total points scored: 147

Missouri total yards: 1812

So, Missouri scores 1 point for every 12 yards of offense they acheive, or .08 points per yard.

Nebraska total points scored: 157

Nebraska total yards: 1760

So, Nebraska scores 1 point for every 11 yards of offense they acheive, or .09 points per yard.

-------

By taking the expected yards each team will acheive and multiplying it by their points/yard average, we could get a "statistically predicted" score:

Missouri: 20

Nebraska: 37

-------

Take it for whatever you want. There's plenty of variables that are completely ignored in that analysis, but it's still the most basic statiscal comparison we can do that eliminates the schedule factor.

This is great...I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the SOS variability and this is exactly how to do it. That being said, and as you alluded to, it is impossible to take into account all of the variables. I suppose some statistician somewhere has correctly identified the most important stats to correctly predict the outcome enough of the time to actually make money, but he isn't sharing the info with us!

VT is clearly overrated.

Would you concern yourself with VT if you next opponent hadn't played them as their "big" non-con game?

I'm talking them down because some of your brothers are trying to talk them up like this makes you national championship contenders or something.

Exaggeration aside, I spend plenty of time talking college football with folks across the nation. VT is widely regarded as a legit contender for a BCS bowl because they have a good defense and they excel on special teams. Your continued dismissal of our accomplishment at VT weakens your arguments.

You forgot one important reason, they play in the ACC. You played fine at VT, I've given you props for that. But you lost. Even if VT hadn't come back and you won, they exposed serious deficiencies in your game that were not apparent from the rest of your schedule. I'm not sure you can say that same about Mizzou. I know you want to dismiss our schedule so you can say that, but I disagree.

I believe that I would rather have my deficiencies exposed by a top 25 team than by teams that aren't even ranked, wouldn't you? Nevada exploited Mizzou's obvious defensive shortcomings in their rushing defense. Bowling Green came into Columbia and exposed another poor Pinkle game plan.

Don't forget that 75% of FB is played between the ears and I believe even in your heart of hearts that you can't say that Nu doesn't have one of the most fiery and passionate coaches in the land. Bo will have the Huskers mentally focused and ready to go. You'd better hope that Pinkle doesn't rely on just "athleticism". As you constantly purport that your talent level is better.

I've always thought it was funny that husker fans think they're going to be a lot better because their coach is so passionate and will have them trying more or hitting harder...as if other teams coaches don't get their teams to try more or hit hard. When it boils down to it, that really means very little. If you can't do that, you're a losing coach, not a mediocre coach, not a good coach, a losing coach. In the end, it's about talent, preparation, and lastly having your team ready mentally to play.

PeliniMethod.jpg

Nice tap out. See above bolded, um, isn't that what I just said. Read the first paragraph again and answer those questions. The questions just get harder. I think it's funny that MU fans avoid the hard questions.

DocNice,

Probably not.

And no, special teams are not as important as offense and defense. If they were, you'd see more than 10 teams in the country with special teams coaches. When was the last time a team fired its special teams coordinators? No, special teams are the difference in close games. Getting your ass handed to you 498 to 155 is what wins and loses games. VT had one special teams play and two big offensive plays for the entire game. That encompasses their entire offensive night. Sorry, but that's not a top 6 team.

I don't understand why this argument is so hard for you guys to admit. Why can't you just say what the entire country realizes: that VT is a good team but not top 6? Even the voters feel bad about them ending that high, they just don't know who else to put there, because nobody else is all that good either.

If you just admit that, then we can move on and I'll give you mad props for staying with a top 15 or 20 team.

So when Va Tech is in the top 10 at the end of the year what will your excuse be? Every team in the country is overrated and the voters just don't know where to put Va Tech or who to put in front of them? :LOLtartar

DocNice,

Probably not.

So when Va Tech is in the top 10 at the end of the year what will your excuse be? Every team in the country is overrated and the voters just don't know where to put Va Tech or who to put in front of them? :LOLtartar

It's not entirely out of the question given that they play in the ACC combined with the fact that there just aren't that many true top 10 quality teams this year. If that happens, they'll either play a poser like they did last year and finish in the top 10, or they'll get exposed, like they did a few years ago by an above average Kansas team.

DocNice,

Probably not.

And no, special teams are not as important as offense and defense.

*cough* Bull$hit *cough*

So I ask again. How many teams have dedicated special teams coaches? How many teams fire their special teams coordinator after a bad season? How many TDs does special teams score and give up in a game compared to offense and defense? The answer to all of those questions is not supportive of your argument. Unless you've got something else, all you've got is a bad cough.

lets talk about the teams that have exposed you..... Nevada .... exposed your defense inability to stop the run. that would be 0-3 nevada.

Bowling Green(1-3). once again your new and improved defense gets exposed by a team that is clearly inferior to anyone we have played. that would be the same bowling green that lost to MARSHALL (who got beat by tech 52-10 and gave up 444 yards on the ground.

Yes, those teams did expose deficiencies. I openly admit that. I don't feel to bad about those deficiencies because we can win even with those deficiencies, and its given us a chance to get better, and of course, I think those teams aren't so bad.

Nevada has had a bad start to the year, but has one of the top rushing offenses in the country. We held them to their lowest average per rush so far, and limited them to 150 yards passing and no big plays. The lack of a rushing game concerns me more, but I think there's a good shot we can improve there.

BG is just a case of sleepwalking against an underrated opponent. BG has a respectable pass offense and pass defense. Thankfully we were able to dominate the rushing game in the second half and put them away after a poor start. If you want to play the transitive property of football game, then BG beat Troy @ Troy, and Ark State, supposedly your best cupcake, lost to Troy @ home.

I'll note you didn't bring up Illinois.

Nice tap out. See above bolded, um, isn't that what I just said. Read the first paragraph again and answer those questions. The questions just get harder. I think it's funny that MU fans avoid the hard questions.

No, you said it was 75%. I said it was the least important of the factors. Not a small difference, because if Bobo has them 100% ready to play, but doesn't have the players or the game plan, it won't matter.