pink

they used to sell the Red Balloons but now they have volunteers inflate 5,000 paid for by the First National Bank and they give them away so they will need a service organization or a sorority fraterity to sell them or perhaps just have the bank do pink ones. They put the FNB logo on them now...But ideally you just add the pink ones and let the FNB give away the red ones too.

Everyone knows that I am all about wearing red to home games, but this would serve a higher purpose than acting out an x-box nerd's wet dream. I have a sister that is a survivor and would definitely support something along these lines. This would be a great way to raise money for the cause if the University is behind it.

I'm a gamer and a Husker fan and I find this reply classless!

pinkout FTW! Any word on it yet?

I sent an email to TO's assistant, Anne Hackbart, but she did not reply to me today. We'll see.

I see this as a very big longshot as far as any UNL involvement. It's very very last-minute for them.

We could do this next year, though. I would be happy to spearhead an email and message board campaign. Anything I can do to help here.

Everyone knows that I am all about wearing red to home games, but this would serve a higher purpose than acting out an x-box nerd's wet dream. I have a sister that is a survivor and would definitely support something along these lines. This would be a great way to raise money for the cause if the University is behind it.

I'm a gamer and a Husker fan and I find this reply classless!

How is that classless? Do you want teh black0outz? That's what I was referring to. :wtf

Lighten up, Francis.

while its great that there is growing support for breast cancer, does this type event open doors for other causes? heart/lung disease, AIDS... and who knows where it would stop. I think staying neutral at home and wearing red is the safe approach... if anything, there could be a collection like they do for the red cross when they pass the bucket in the stadium or collect donations outside. I think people are aware of the PINK push enough... no offense to any surivor or relative/friend thereof.

• 4 weeks later...

pinkout FTW! Any word on it yet?

I sent an email to TO's assistant, Anne Hackbart, but she did not reply to me today. We'll see.

I see this as a very big longshot as far as any UNL involvement. It's very very last-minute for them.

We could do this next year, though. I would be happy to spearhead an email and message board campaign. Anything I can do to help here.

Any response yet?

They were really gracious about it, but they said No. Here's part of the email I got in reply (the other part covers some personal stuff):

We don’t usually have very much luck encouraging fans to change their attire, particularly for football, as we learned when trying to support a B******, or retro dress for the 300th sellout. Perhaps it is just tradition. Unfortunately, then it comes off as being not very well planned and may look peculiar if the game is on national television. So while I don’t think this is something we will try, I wanted you to know that it isn’t because we don’t support the cause

I get what they're saying, but that doesn't mean I can't do something grass-roots on my own. I'm going to be hitting this up starting in the Spring, targeting a game, and maybe getting something going for the Spring Game by way of handouts, email campaigns, whatever.