Timewarner cable sucks!

Benny, unless you have line of sight issues, absolutely go with Dish Network. Every single aspect (minus On Demand) is noticeably better than cable. The DVRs are outstanding, better prices, recording is easier and onscreen menus are 10 times more modern looking.

Unfortunately with all the trees in my neighborhood, I'm unable to get satellite service of any kind. So I'm stuck with crappy cable.

I also have Dish Network, and I love it.

I lol'd at Benny saying his buddy told him not to use over 80% of the DVR...that's like me giving you 50 bucks, but you better not spend over 40.

hate to say it, but that usually does fix the issue, i do find it odd that if only ESPN HD is out and no other channels are out why a tech would need to come check it out... <_< sounds like to me that they have an issue with just that channel or possibly a bad box but that is not always the case. good luck!

usually it's the boxes for me. I have gone through at least one every six months or so. Particularly the HDDVR boxes. The drives on them tend to get fragmented. A coworker's friend is a tech and he said not to let the DVR get over something like 80% full otherwise they start having problems. Still, I always get glitchy HD signals or some channels that never come in. I stopped calling tech support and just return the box for a new one because that's what tech support was going to tell me to do anyway.

Those of you who have DirectTV...who do you use for internet? My contract isn't up until June with Time Warner, but I'd be happy to shop around until then. I just would like a good deal with internet/TV all in one.

I have DirecTV and I have Comcast for my internet. I have to pay $60 a month for internet through Comcast because I don't have cable. So of course they charge me more for internet only but I have no complaints. If you have Time Warner you can do internet only. Just might have to pay a little more.

Benny, unless you have line of sight issues, absolutely go with Dish Network. Every single aspect (minus On Demand) is noticeably better than cable. The DVRs are outstanding, better prices, recording is easier and onscreen menus are 10 times more modern looking.

Unfortunately with all the trees in my neighborhood, I'm unable to get satellite service of any kind. So I'm stuck with crappy cable.

yeah, trees are an issue in my neighborhood too...I only have one spot where a dish might be able to go, but DirectTV might say it's not a valid signal point.

I see the DirectTV offers some sort of DSL internet maybe?

yeah, trees are an issue in my neighborhood too...I only have one spot where a dish might be able to go, but DirectTV might say it's not a valid signal point.

I see the DirectTV offers some sort of DSL internet maybe?

It's a packaged deal with your local phone provider. Go here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/pack...ooternavtype=-1 to find out more info.

Benny-C you got it almost right so I'll say what you should have said...

ALL CABLE COMPANIES SUCK!!!! THEY DON'T HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE, THEY HAVE THE CUSTOMER BY THE SHORT AND CURLIES, OR AT LEAST THEY THINK SO. SWITCH TO DISH NETWORK, MAN, EVERY TIME I HAVE HAD ANY KIND OF PROBLEM WITH THEM THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CORRECT IT WITH A PHONE CALL AND THEY ARE THERE 24/7.

T_O_B

:boxosoap:boxosoap:boxosoap:bang:bang:bang:boxosoap:boxosoap:boxosoap

had this problem once, where only certain HD channels weren't coming through, and it ended up being lack of signal. In other words, dont use a splitter on the line that goes to the cable box, lol. Not sure why it happened all the sudden to us though, as we had had the same setup for a long time.

had this problem once, where only certain HD channels weren't coming through, and it ended up being lack of signal. In other words, dont use a splitter on the line that goes to the cable box, lol. Not sure why it happened all the sudden to us though, as we had had the same setup for a long time.

that could very well be the problem. I have a splitter going to my cable modem as well. Wish I would have tried removing that first last night. Ended up watching the game at the girlfriends...the win helped ease my anger at my cable!

I'll find out tonight what the problem is when the technician comes by. Just weird why it would work fine for this long and then stop working.

that could very well be the problem. I have a splitter going to my cable modem as well. Wish I would have tried removing that first last night. Ended up watching the game at the girlfriends...the win helped ease my anger at my cable!

I'll find out tonight what the problem is when the technician comes by. Just weird why it would work fine for this long and then stop working.

you really don't want to be splitting the line to the box and modem, that is seriously draining the signal for both of them to work correctly. Splitters do go bad too, make sure the tech takes a reading with his meter and ask him where the problem is, don't let him tell you it's just a bad splitter, make sure he uses the meter! If the tech troubleshoots correctly the first time, this should save you to have them come back out, unless they are having a problem on their end. Another thing i would recommend is to have all lines in the house off of one splitter, and if you are using more than an 8 way, get a amp put in, or if you know of lines that are not in use, unhook them. I used to be in this field, so just trying to give pointers on how to make your life easier with cable, the best thing i ever did was re wire my house with RG6 coax and have everything off a 1 splitter, i have never had a single modem or digital issue. The biggest misconception of cable companies is that 85% of issues are in the customer home, it just all depends on the company and how they educate the customer on how to use the services correctly. If you do go to dish, make sure they are a authorized installer and not a contractor, unless you enjoy having wires strung out all over the place, get it done by a pro.