OL Coaching

Actually Cotton is doing an outstanding job with this group of inexperienced and mismathed o-linemen. Most of these guys playing came from Callafraud and were not Barney's guys. As he gets more and more of his guys in, the group will improve and develop into the NUlike o-line he and Bo expect.

This has not gone unnoticed by our coaches. Look at how many O lineman we have recruited in this class.

TWO????

Well to be fair the staff isn't done recruiting yet and it appears that they are going to try and get 3-4 total. I think mattbri meant last years class that brought in 4 O-Linemen. 2 of those players have already made noise to get into the 2-Deep, and I think Qvale would have had he not gotten hurt. The staff is already in on 2 Stud O-linemen for the 2011 class. They are making a concerted effort to bring in more O-Line talent, I think they realize the current linemen are good but not excellent.

I did, thanks for clarifying.

8/9 in the Box never slowed down Dr Toms Teams. If the other Teams front is better than our line, I can live with that. The fact that the Penalties every game over and over killing drives. That is what bothers me about Cotton. Also this OL doesn't have any killer instinct.

They don't seem to have any fire in them. You can see it when they break the huddle. That fire just isn't there. They don't even hustle to the line.

^ I can agree with that. We need more dominance up front, and hopefully we'll start seeing it soon. Can Cotton do that for us? It's a big, big blow to the O if he can't.

I want to talk specifically about DJ Jones. We had that 2-point conversion that would have been key if we hadn't gotten another pic and Mizzou drove down the field on that drive.

I mean, what a ridiculous false start. What happened?! He looked like he thought the play started, or he was going into motion or something. Just not a good time to make a stupid mistake like that. I didn't notice it the first time watching, but the second time, WOW. More discipline needed.

when you are running 4 wr and shotgun the whole game its easier to commit to stopping the run. They weren't even always even "stacking the box." I don't know why we didnt run two and three tight end sets the whole game, and with the wetness I think I'd run less shotgun bc it seemed the snappers were having problems. Notice how our best run was on third and short in a GOALLINE type formation? Then toward the end of the game we were running with that ace triple tightend to one side formation, also worked well.

8/9 in the Box never slowed down Dr Toms Teams. If the other Teams front is better than our line, I can live with that. The fact that the Penalties every game over and over killing drives. That is what bothers me about Cotton. Also this OL doesn't have any killer instinct.

They don't seem to have any fire in them. You can see it when they break the huddle. That fire just isn't there. They don't even hustle to the line.

Actually, there were many years during the mid and late eighties and the early nineties that 8/9 players in the box stopped our running game cold. I could point out numorous games that happened, Just about all of the bowl games from 86-93, the Washington Huskies of the early ninties stacked up on us very well and shut us down. It wasn't until Dr. Tom and company finally started recruting speed that you saw the dominace of the mid nineties. Before that, everyone in the media was saying that the game had past him by. Believe it or not, there was Nebraska football before 93-97 and it wasn't always perfect.

The penalties are a problem, Ricky needs to keep his blocks legal and Jones needs watch the damn movement.

But I don't think blocking was the problem last night. We aren't an option offense anymore, doesn't matter what happened during the TO-era. We're supposed to be a balanced team that takes what the D gives us. They were stacking the box and daring us to burn them through the air, for three quarters Lee and the receivers failed to do that.

The penalties are a problem, Ricky needs to keep his blocks legal and Jones needs watch the damn movement.

But I don't think blocking was the problem last night. We aren't an option offense anymore, doesn't matter what happened during the TO-era. We're supposed to be a balanced team that takes what the D gives us. They were stacking the box and daring us to burn them through the air, for three quarters Lee and the receivers failed to do that.

Husker were not a option team under osbourne either. They were a Power and Countersr unning Team with option mixed in.

But I don't think blocking was the problem last night. We aren't an option offense anymore, doesn't matter what happened during the TO-era. We're supposed to be a balanced team that takes what the D gives us. They were stacking the box and daring us to burn them through the air, for three quarters Lee and the receivers failed to do that..

Husker were not a option team under osbourne either. They were a Power and Countersr unning Team with option mixed in.

No we weren't a pure option-team, we were more multiple, but we were definitely ground-based so the same point stands. We aren't running TO's offense. We're supposed to be balanced. If they cheat-up to play the run we throw on them, for much of the game we couldn't, and O-line wasn't the big reason.

Bo put this staff together with parts of, people he knew, some that were already here and others who were here before. Not many unknowns, but you put together a group of people who are working toward a common goal and you are eventually going to find that 2 or 3 aren't as effective as you'd like. Too many mistakes and we can't put the ball in the end zone enough agains tough competition. Some of it is talent, I guess, but it will be interesting to see if Bo makes any moves this off season. He doesn't seem the type to suffer fools. Is it just me or does anyone else see strings between Carl and those crossed sticks Bo holds behind his back?

I would be in agreement with most of these comments, were it not for the last drive. The huskers devoured the clock and marched down for a score and the line paved the way with two crucial third down conversions and never threw a pass. That was pretty. They came up just one yard shy of doing the same against VT, and could have gotten that last first down on a sneak.

They're going to take a hold call every now and again, but it's the false starts that are the most concerning. I think crowd noise has played a big part in that in the road games. When we see better teams in Lincoln I don't expect the penalty problems to be as prevalent. This year's line is definitely patchwork, and missing Javario. They have performed adequately and will continue to gel. Zero sacks vs Mizery is encouraging.