OL Coaching

I like what the Coaching staff has done so far with the program overall but I think they really need to consider an upgrade at OL Coach. Way to many Drive ending Penalties. The run blocking is average at best. The pass Blocking isn't but but could be better. Overall the OL isn't consistant and commits way to many penalties.

I played OL in college and have coached OL for the last 5 years at the high school and semi-pro level here in AK and have never seen over a two year period a more inconsistent, lazy, weak and undisciplined OL in respect to their level of play at the D1 level

Can you make your avatar photo larger please MCAT800 :leghump:

Missouri was consistently rushing 8-9 of their defense against our lines last night, which outmanned us on those runs.

Give Cotton a little more time to develop guys. I thought o-line, minus the penalties, played pretty solid last night even though they couldn't get the running game going. Give it a little more time I'd say. This is only year 1 1/2.

Actually Cotton is doing an outstanding job with this group of inexperienced and mismathed o-linemen. Most of these guys playing came from Callafraud and were not Barney's guys. As he gets more and more of his guys in, the group will improve and develop into the NUlike o-line he and Bo expect.

This has not gone unnoticed by our coaches. Look at how many O lineman we have recruited in this class.

Missouri was consistently rushing 8-9 of their defense against our lines last night, which outmanned us on those runs.

Give Cotton a little more time to develop guys. I thought o-line, minus the penalties, played pretty solid last night even though they couldn't get the running game going. Give it a little more time I'd say. This is only year 1 1/2.

I'm going to say this was exactly it. Lee couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night until the big long pass. Mizzou had absolutely zero confidence in our passing game, so they loaded the box putting pressure on the running game and Lee when he threw. After the long pass, it opened up the lanes a bit. We saw what Helu did when the lanes opened some. I also was impressed with Burkhead's running even when they had the box loaded. He was hitting the holes hard.

Actually Cotton is doing an outstanding job with this group of inexperienced and mismathed o-linemen. Most of these guys playing came from Callafraud and were not Barney's guys. As he gets more and more of his guys in, the group will improve and develop into the NUlike o-line he and Bo expect.

This has not gone unnoticed by our coaches. Look at how many O lineman we have recruited in this class.

TWO????

Whether we think this group of lineman will come together or not. And I hope they do. They penalties are just unacceptable. How many false starts is that on OL this season? How many come in crucial places like last nigh's two pt converstion try? That is coaching and discipline and brains and needs to be fixed NOW!

The penalties are a huge issue that need to be shored up immediately. A mile a flag or something for the whole unit. But I don't think calls for Cotton's head are justified yet. We still have a shot to be a good running team so long as our opponents don't blitz 90% of the time. If you can't pass the ball or run the option and they're blitzing like mad, not sure the line coach can do much about it.

TWO????

Well to be fair the staff isn't done recruiting yet and it appears that they are going to try and get 3-4 total. I think mattbri meant last years class that brought in 4 O-Linemen. 2 of those players have already made noise to get into the 2-Deep, and I think Qvale would have had he not gotten hurt. The staff is already in on 2 Stud O-linemen for the 2011 class. They are making a concerted effort to bring in more O-Line talent, I think they realize the current linemen are good but not excellent.