What advice would you offer Callahan??

I wonder if Sipple realizes hes' writing for about 7% of the population.

Steven M. Sipple: It's time to offer Callahan some advice

OK, I'm only here to help. Every high-ranking public figure — including Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan — needs a smooth-talking, quick-thinking spin doctor to guide him or her when media insist on playing rough.

Don't worry, coach Callahan. The Big 12 football media gathering this coming week in Houston will be a piece of cake. You'll glide through it.

Sessions will be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with four schools represented each day. You and three of your players will be on hand Wednesday along with your all-time favorite squad — Oklahoma.

Someone in the press corps no doubt will ask you about the contemptuous remark you made last November regarding our friends from the Sooner State. Stay calm, coach. Keep that smile on your face. Perhaps tell the pundits you've long admired the Sooner State from afar. Maybe make mention of a few native Oklahomans — Will Rogers, Woody Guthrie, Mickey Mantle, for instance.

You know the old phrase, coach — kill 'em with kindness. Whatever you do, don't mention the h-word, and tell them there's a little backwoods in all of us.

Someone will no doubt broach your little slip-up at Texas Tech last October, and your second-half free fall at Kansas State, and your misguided "one loss, one season" comment following the season-ending Colorado setback. Criminy, everyone wants to rehash the past.

Whatever you do, coach, keep smiling. Your boss will appreciate that. If you feel yourself slipping toward anger, push the conversation toward the future.

Ah, the future. You're amazing, coach. You're doing it again on the recruiting trail. National recruiting guru Tom Lemming says he recently finished a nationwide tour during which he visited 950 of the nation's top 1,000 high school players. The Huskers, he says, are among a handful of teams that turn up most often on the recruits' lists of favorites, along with Florida, Texas, Southern Cal and Michigan.

If the pundits in Houston insist on rehashing your 5-6 record last season, and you feel frustration setting in, just think about those five straight winnable home games to begin the upcoming season. Indeed, consider the possibility of exacting revenge on Texas Tech. That should keep you smiling, coach. On the other hand, don't think about your inexperienced corners trying to cover Tech's fleet and experienced wideouts.

It'd be OK to tell the media you expect Nebraska to earn a bowl bid this year. Why not? It's an easy exercise to identify seven or eight or maybe even nine wins on your 2005 schedule. Tell the press you'll have to win several close games in order to get there. Hardly any win will occur easily. Make sure you say that, coach. Remember, humility is an endearing trait.

Last season, before the Western Illinois game, you said your offense doesn't take what defenses give it, "it takes what it wants." Well, forget that phrase, coach. Junk it. The Big 12's too tough to speak in such bold terms. You learned the hard way.

But, hey, the Big 12 North is in a down cycle. Some say it's abysmal. Maybe you should tell the media gathering in Houston that the Big 12 North is vastly underrated, that all of this Big 12 North bashing is unfair. If they believe you, it'll look even better in November if you happen to capture the division.

Yes, coach, you have a legitimate chance to capture the division. Of course, all six teams have a chance. Colorado is my pick; the Buffaloes return 17 starters, including their starting quarterback and the league's best stable of linebackers. But the Buffs lack a proven running back, and their receivers drop too many passes.

Plus, Colorado's schedule is much, much tougher than yours, coach. The key for Nebraska is beating Iowa State on Oct. 1 in Lincoln in the Huskers' league opener. That's a "must" win.

See, coach, the future looks bright. The Big 12 North is yours for the taking during the next couple of years. Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State, Missouri — those teams can't match your staff's recruiting prowess, coach. And none of those teams can match your game-day atmosphere. But you knew that, and you're capitalizing on it in the recruiting wars.

Remember, coach, you're scheduled for Wednesday in Houston. Accompanying you to the podium will be three Huskers who are more inclined toward diplomacy than inflammatory comments — Cory Ross, Daniel Bullocks and Seppo Evwaraye. Should be a breeze in that regard.

You don't talk to the media much during the summer, coach. Heck, the last we heard from you was after the Spring Game. We know, we know — you're a grinder in the office. No time for chit-chat. That's OK. But now everyone's anxiously awaiting your big appearance this week.

"All I know is what I read in the papers," Will Rogers said long ago.

Remember that quote, coach, and please give the pundits in Houston some material to work with.

Agreed. I think last year Callahan relized what Nebraska football is all about and how much the fans and the state looks at football as a part of people's life and identity. It is hard to explain to people down here what it is like to be a Nebraska fan. It seems everyone down here in Florida is on a bandwagon on who is going to be good or not. Even with the 3 major schools down here I don't see the enthusiasticness of what Nebraska has with its fans, maby it is because Florida has so many pro teams and population is high. But any way I agree with you Kramer, that Callahan knows now what is expected and I hope people will give him time cause he is off to a pretty good start with recruiting. :cheers

If I really had anything to say to Cally, I guess it'd be to develop the COLLEGE gameplan. Be flexible. Take a chance when no one is expecting it. Be conservative when everyone is expecting something wild. Develop strengths to develop weaknesses. Stay unpredictable. Enjoy and learn from every play and every game.

I couldn't agree more than with the statement "Sipple is an idiot." Enough already Steve. Stop giving advice to Callahan and start writing relevant columns. Try to sound prophetic and write one previewing what the team will look like three years from now. Look forward, not back, you moron. Quit playing to the Huskers-as-perennial-losers-under-Callahan crowd. They are dwindling and after this season, there won't be any left. NU is back on the right path. You probably had more time with Frank because he wasn't working 24-7 to make this program the best it can be. I think it's a good sign when you don't see Callahan much. That means he's working. Enough about the past season. Focus on this year or the future. Stop trying to stir the pot. Husker fans are tired of that. If you want to be a coach, throw your hat in the ring. I'm pretty sure more coaches could make good sportswriters than sportswriters make good coaches. That's my advice for you Steve.

HF

I could care less about how Bill handles the media. Sipple needs to come down off of his high horse and realize that a football coach's main priority is implicit in his title. He coaches football. As long as he is leading these young men in a way that makes them better in football and life, I could care less about what he says to the media.

Would A Spin Doctor Help Callahan Handle Questions About The Huskers' Sickly Season?

Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan undeniably made a big splash in his first year at the helm of the Cornhusker football team.

Callahan, however, proved that not every splash is a good one. The team’s 5-6 season left many a citizen of the Husker Nation thinking that Callahan was all wet.

That is not surprising, given that a good many Nebraska fans – young and old – had to check the sports pages to find out when NU had last suffered a losing season. Some of the younger ones hadn’t been born when Nebraska last failed to give better than it got over the long haul.

Thus, there is a chance that Callahan could face a prickly situation this week when he faces the Big 12 media types down there in Texas. Add that to the fact that Callahan’s fuse has sometimes shown itself to be shorter than a politician’s memory the day after an election.

What might help Callahan through the coming challenge? After all, these sessions will sometimes leave coaches muttering about the collective IQ of a roomful of reporters falling short of the temperature on Memorial Stadium’s turf. In November.

What Callahan needs, says longtime Journal-Star sports writer Steve Sipple, is a spin meister. Someone who can provide pointers when, say, he is asked about that losing season, and why he thinks this year’s will be better. Sipple, it turns out, is the right guy for the job.

My only advice would be to not listen to people like Steve Sipple. I would tell him that I think he and his staff are doing a fantastic job on recruiting and that like others he has my 100 percent support on what he is trying to accomplish and that in time Nebraska will once again be among the elite programs in the country. Go Big Red!

Answer to the original question: "What advice would you offer Callahan??"--

How about, do us a favor and quit. :thumbs

I dont care for Sipple much, but he makes some great points with this article, billy c. just doesnt get it.

Nice to see that CU had big problems with drops by their WRs last year. What every happened to their WR coach????? :sarcasm

Another spectacular hire by billy c. :bang

He just doesnt get what former? Im pretty sure he knows alot more about football than you, so we can discount that idea, but maybe you are referring to his apparant ignorance to Husker lore that you are very quick to point out whenever the chance arises. I have a question for you. What does it matter???? The past is just that. The past. Im sure you havent said anything derogitory about Oklahoma fans, or made a comment that you regretted before. :sarcasm The media isnt important to me and it hasnt been to most husker fan for years considering how little respect we get in it, but the second someone says something that seems to be favorable to your gripe, you immediately fall in line. Sipple is just being condescending and frankly, acting like a spoiled five year old who is very much full of himself. I doubt that he could give much in the way of advice to anyone, other than on how to avoid smudging white out. The last thirty five years is far less important than the next one to me, and I suggest that you take the time to gather yourself and move on. The bowl streak is over, alot of steaks have ended since TO retired, not just since Callahan arrived. Take a deep breath, put all of the bitterness away and lets talk about the future, instead of crying foul for a man not much interested in the past.