Kick Coverage

beanman

Does anyone else think that we're going to get burned on punt or kick coverage one of these times at a critical point of the game? I look at who we have on our coverage units and it looks like 2000 all over again when it took a near loss to Notre Lame for Solich to put some athletes back on special teams. I see a lot of whiffs out there, particularly our first 2-3 guys down there covering punts. It seems like they are usually in decent position, but aren't athletic enough to bring the returner down. Any one else concerned about this?

Does anyone else think that we're going to get burned on punt or kick coverage one of these times at a critical point of the game? I look at who we have on our coverage units and it looks like 2000 all over again when it took a near loss to Notre Lame for Solich to put some athletes back on special teams. I see a lot of whiffs out there, particularly our first 2-3 guys down there covering punts. It seems like they are usually in decent position, but aren't athletic enough to bring the returner down. Any one else concerned about this?

It is not easy making a tackle after blowing out your knee. Thenarse and Dean could only tackle the turf in that condition.

Although our special teams were terrible on Thursday I don't think it was the players, mostly the calls. When we punted, Henery had to get the ball away very quickly- he had one go for a safety and one nearly blocked when he took a hard hit.

I was confused on our calls when we were receiving- we never went with pressure, instead sending guys back to block. This gave the Mizzou punter plenty of time, which meant that his rugby style punts had a good chance of hitting our players since they were far down the field by the time the kick got off.

Also, its hard to judge special teams after seeing them in sloppy game conditions like those on Thursday night.

Special team were not only bad Thursday they were bad on V Tech.

Bad Coverage. Bad Tackling. Dropped balls. BAD SNAPS! How many bad snaps should a team have to suffer in one season? We've already had enough for several.

I'm still not sold on Henery as a punter.

.....there was only one decent return against us when we played VTECH.....just sayin.....

no, the only two games we had issues was against Vtech (special teams Beemer Ball) and a rainy sliding night in Mizzou. We are much faster and MUCH more disciplined than we have been in the past 10 years.

More disciplined yes, but faster? Not even close. Like I said in my post, they are in position, but when they get faked out of their shoes I see someone else taking it to the house against us and I just hope it doesn't cost us. Va Tech isn't the only team we'll play with athletes on special teams.