Aftermath

Husker_x

I think we're being a bit too harsh. While I thought the performance was pretty horrendous, I don't think calling for the staff's heads is the right call. If you ask me where the most concerns lie, its right here:

20091017175031.jpg

WAY too many mistakes. These are player mistakes, not coaches. While I understand the discipline is often a direct reflection of the staff, the coaches aren't the one's playing. It's hard for me to say this because I personally believe its a coaches RESPONSIBILITY to take all the blame whether its warranted or not. In this case, I have to stand up for them a bit before they get stoned to death.

This game was not lost on penalties. Period.

This game was lost because, prior to Cody Green's entrance, we COULD NOT MOVE THE BALL offensively!

Our defense played stellar, against a stellar Texas Tech offense...our defense is solid.

This game should've been a shoot-out....instead, it was a BLOWOUT. Yes, guys...it was a BLOWOUT.

Watson's conservative b.s. is old (this was apparent in our win over Missouri)....This loss reminded me of our 2007 season. Please remember that it was us that were ranked #15 coming into this game....

We should've won this game by 2 touchdowns....

I'm not coming on here as a self-proclaimed guru but I have talked, very recently, at length with an NFL scout and a longtime college OC and both mentioned some very interesting points to me about the films that we put together on offense.

Both mentioned how slow we get plays in and defenses are recognized and then audibles and checks are made. I don't know about the rest of you, but I definitely notice a drop in efficiency when things are slowed down for us. Lee does a very piss poor job of finding the MIKE and calling out blocking schemes and checks. He continually runs the play clock down near 0...which does numerous things...let's the D time the snap, gets the O-line ansy and a bit jumpy. Those two issues can completely derail a series. Blitzes can be timed better and DEs can pin their ears back more often.

The second thing they noticed is how complicated we try to make simple counters and stretch plays. We try to trick every run up instead of just going downhill. We have had success against great run D's in the past by just running straight at them under Watson, see 2005 Cotton Bowl vs Auburn, 2008 Gator Bowl vs Clemson, 2009 at Va Tech...The reason we lose games like today is the terrible schemes in the run game. Not to mention terrible play calls to force the run, see ridiculous double reverse....

I'm not completely sold one way or the other on Watson, but we definitely need to do a much better job of defining what we are on offense and quit with all the "multiple" look focus.

Our D line is good enough for us to compete for the Big XII title, but if we can't figure out how to clean up our basic run game and have a better avg. than 2.4 yards a carry or whatever atrocious number it was today, we will always struggle on offense, even against mediocre D's.

And let's not get carried away, we were NOT ready to play for a National Title yet and all that talk in the media was obsurd...BUT we are ready to take the Big XII over and even the balance of power. We can still finish 10-2 and play Texas for the Big XII title and a chance to go to Arizona to whip Boise's arse....

I'm not coming on here as a self-proclaimed guru but I have talked, very recently, at length with an NFL scout and a longtime college OC and both mentioned some very interesting points to me about the films that we put together on offense.

Both mentioned how slow we get plays in and defenses are recognized and then audibles and checks are made. I don't know about the rest of you, but I definitely notice a drop in efficiency when things are slowed down for us. Lee does a very piss poor job of finding the MIKE and calling out blocking schemes and checks. He continually runs the play clock down near 0...which does numerous things...let's the D time the snap, gets the O-line ansy and a bit jumpy. Those two issues can completely derail a series. Blitzes can be timed better and DEs can pin their ears back more often.

The second thing they noticed is how complicated we try to make simple counters and stretch plays. We try to trick every run up instead of just going downhill. We have had success against great run D's in the past by just running straight at them under Watson, see 2005 Cotton Bowl vs Auburn, 2008 Gator Bowl vs Clemson, 2009 at Va Tech...The reason we lose games like today is the terrible schemes in the run game. Not to mention terrible play calls to force the run, see ridiculous double reverse....

I'm not completely sold one way or the other on Watson, but we definitely need to do a much better job of defining what we are on offense and quit with all the "multiple" look focus.

Our D line is good enough for us to compete for the Big XII title, but if we can't figure out how to clean up our basic run game and have a better avg. than 2.4 yards a carry or whatever atrocious number it was today, we will always struggle on offense, even against mediocre D's.

And let's not get carried away, we were NOT ready to play for a National Title yet and all that talk in the media was obsurd...BUT we are ready to take the Big XII over and even the balance of power. We can still finish 10-2 and play Texas for the Big XII title and a chance to go to Arizona to whip Boise's arse....

Great post. Another thing I'm trying to understand is why Nebraska gets the privilege of being the one team in the country that can't run a simple off-guard run and not get stuffed. Every team in the SEC seems able to do it. Just line up and slam for five yards. Nebraska can't.

In my radio show on sunday, I said that I was afraid of Nebraska being too high on themselves and would not prepare properly for the Tech game. Man i was right.

The stats made the game looked even but the scoreboard said another. But only elite teams have both offense and defense playing at a high level. Nebraska has the defense, it just needs an offense.

But give it up to the bottom 3 of the Big 12 North.

Nice post - Yeah, why are we running the clock down to 4 when we are down by 3 scores... :bang

I was under the impression that we 'dumbed down' the play book...I still think its the lack of execution more so than the play calls

Although I would love to see a 10-2 finish, I can't predict a win/loss record with the way this weekend has been....it seems to be every team is vunerable to an upset

GBR

I think we're being a bit too harsh. While I thought the performance was pretty horrendous, I don't think calling for the staff's heads is the right call. If you ask me where the most concerns lie, its right here:

20091017175031.jpg

WAY too many mistakes. These are player mistakes, not coaches. While I understand the discipline is often a direct reflection of the staff, the coaches aren't the one's playing. It's hard for me to say this because I personally believe its a coaches RESPONSIBILITY to take all the blame whether its warranted or not. In this case, I have to stand up for them a bit before they get stoned to death.

This game was lost because, prior to Cody Green's entrance, we COULD NOT MOVE THE BALL offensively!

Our defense played stellar, against a stellar Texas Tech offense...our defense is solid.

This game should've been a shoot-out....instead, it was a BLOWOUT. Yes, guys...it was a BLOWOUT.

Watson's conservative b.s. is old (this was apparent in our win over Missouri)....This loss reminded me of our 2007 season. Please remember that it was us that were ranked #15 coming into this game....

Its hard to move the ball when you have a 12/16 penalty/first down ratio. I'm sorry but you're wrong on this one. You can't be in a constant state of catch up.

20091017175031.jpg

Its hard to move the ball when you have a 12/16 penalty/first down ratio. I'm sorry but you're wrong on this one. You can't be in a constant state of catch up.

Yep, twice now this year we had goal-to-go and the O-line backs us up 20-30 yards with boneheaded BS. Ricky Henry can play on my O-line anyday, the guy is a bulldog, but he needs to get his head in the game. That PF on him was stupid.

The O line is the problem, yes Lee has not made smart moves in the pocket, but what the hell, give the guy more then a split second, they don't sustain blocks and they get blown off the ball, this offense has no identity right now, and pointing the finger at 1 guy on this offense is not solving the problem. Plus since i just watched Green throw in INT when he clearly forced the ball, this unit has as a whole needs serious work.

Wrong. Lee had plenty of time. I have never seen so many so called "coverage sacks" against NU. 3 seconds. That is what you get. 3 seconds then you throw or scramble. Figure it out Zac. You are done.

Sorry, but I think we still win the North with Green starting. Put him in now, gain experience, do as much this year as Lee could do.

Oh ya, give Roy Helu the god d a m n ball.

I thought Lee played a well-managed game for the most part, but he wasn't asked to take shots downfield. He was accurate, didn't turn the ball over (or come close to it) and had few mistakes.

Kind of tough to ball when the O-line is a sieve like it was today, and when your WRs can't get open.

What game were you watching?

20091017175031.jpg

What the heck? We had 2 turnovers. The fumble and Cody Green's interception.

This is one of the more sensible things I've heard to this point. Would also explain why most of our running game is so inconsistent. Today was actually one of the more consistent days, it was only consistently 2-5 yards on the read, lol. Other than today our run game has seemed really hit or miss, like you get a 15+ gain or you get a -2 gain. And way too many runs getting stopped for negative. Thats supposed to be the positive of a run game, that you don't go backwards like you can when passing.

This is one of the more sensible things I've heard to this point. Would also explain why most of our running game is so inconsistent. Today was actually one of the more consistent days, it was only consistently 2-5 yards on the read, lol. Other than today our run game has seemed really hit or miss, like you get a 15+ gain or you get a -2 gain. And way too many runs getting stopped for negative. Thats supposed to be the positive of a run game, that you don't go backwards like you can when passing.

Agreed. I think what we're seeing from here an elsewhere is a number of reasons why an entire shift in perspective and philosophy is desperately needed. It's not just this game. It started with FAU when we couldn't get the plays in, or get up to the line with more than ten seconds on the clock. Still hasn't been fixed. Everything else is broken too in one way or another, but our offense FUNDAMENTALLY operates slow and undisciplined.