OWH Blog on QB situation

Dan_F_30

QB drama set to unfold

Filed by Mitch Sherman at 9:52 p.m.

The next few days promise to bring lots of potentially divisive and important discussion about Nebraska's quarterback situation.

Your guess is as good as mine on how Bo Pelini will handle this, both in public and within the team. He's never faced a similar scenario as a head coach, which makes the QB drama all that much more intriguing to watch unfold.

It could go any of three ways and not shock me:

- NU declares early in the week that Zac Lee will remain in control of the offense. He spent the past two years in Lincoln getting ready for this season. Lee appears to have done nearly everything right to earn the confidence of his teammates and coaches. He had a bad game, yes, but not everything was his fault Saturday. And Lee's dedication to Nebraska -- not to mention his performance in practice and several games this season -- has earned him at least one more chance to fix things.

- Cody Green gets the job. The problems run deep in Nebraska's offense, and the Huskers need a change to jolt their attitude and approach. The incompetence hasn't reached the level of the 2007 NU defense, but it could get there in a month, especially if Nebraska sits back and hopes things improve without a big shakeup. Green will make more mistakes than Lee, but the freshman has a big arm and gives the Huskers a running threat that Lee does not provide. This season is suddenly sputtering. Why not think big picture, pick the guy who has a higher ceiling and get started with the future?

- Nebraska makes no announcement, other than to say the competition at quarterback is ongoing. We're left in the dark for several days, perhaps until Iowa State visits Memorial Stadium on Saturday, debating the merits of both quarterbacks to the point of overkill. Meanwhile, the whole situation threatens to disrupt team chemistry even as the Huskers deny that as a possibility.

Should be interesting. Pelini will be asked about the quarterbacks Monday, just before noon on the Big 12 conference call. Look for an update here after he's done speaking or log on to chat with World-Herald writer Jon Nyatawa at noon for the latest.

Link

I think it's going to be situation #3 that is most likely to happen as far as not hearing anything until the day before the game on game day itself....

- NU declares early in the week that Zac Lee will remain in control of the offense. He spent the past two years in Lincoln getting ready for this season. Lee appears to have done nearly everything right to earn the confidence of his teammates and coaches. He had a bad game, yes, but not everything was his fault Saturday. And Lee's dedication to Nebraska -- not to mention his performance in practice and several games this season -- has earned him at least one more chance to fix things.

actually he had three bad games so far, I count MU as bad even though he did throw 3 TD. And though his performances were heavily influenced by bad OL play, penalties, bad play calling ...he simply had three bad games. Maybe CG is able to do better under those circumstances. Maybe he'll play worse. But we won't know until ge is given a chance. And I say give him a shot!

actually he had three bad games so far, I count MU as bad even though he did throw 3 TD. And though his performances were heavily influenced by bad OL play, penalties, bad play calling ...he simply had three bad games. Maybe CG is able to do better under those circumstances. Maybe he'll play worse. But we won't know until ge is given a chance. And I say give him a shot!

We won at Mizzou, I really don't care if he had a bad game, he got the team in the end zone 3 times in the 4th, he did not give up and that says a lot.

Nebraska makes no announcement, other than to say the competition at quarterback is ongoing. We're left in the dark for several days, perhaps until Iowa State visits Memorial Stadium on Saturday, debating the merits of both quarterbacks to the point of overkill. Meanwhile, the whole situation threatens to disrupt team chemistry even as the Huskers deny that as a possibility.

This scenario gets my vote because what we have seen over the last year and a half is that Pelini doesn’t feel the need to let anything other then the obvious be made available. (all within his right as the Head Coach) I do think that if nothing is made official until Saturday that it could disrupt chemistry even if the staff and players deny it. (which they will) They don’t owe us or the media anything but they do owe it to the team to let them know what is going on. (which I hope they do

We won at Mizzou, I really don't care if he had a bad game, he got the team in the end zone 3 times in the 4th, he did not give up and that says a lot.

Analyzing a game is a little more than looking at the result. Sure Lee pretty much won the game, but that should not cover the fact that he had three horrible quarters. Besides I didn't call for Green after the MU game, actually I think not too many people did. But if you look at Lee's perfomances against VT, MU and TT 10 out of 11 quarters were just bad. It's time to see if CG can play better. Besides not quitting is expected. If your team is down by 12 points with more than a quarter to go and you call it a game you should be kicked off the team

I'm guessing option three evolves into option one, which I think is terrible and will only pave the way for another typical Lee performance against Oklahoma. Lee will handle ISU and Baylor but they don't matter. It won't change the fact that against real competition he's indecisive and mysteriously inaccurate with his passes. It will also waste opportunities Cody could have had to improve his game at this level.

But I suppose we'll see.

Analyzing a game is a little more than looking at the result. Sure Lee pretty much won the game, but that should not cover the fact that he had three horrible quarters. Besides I didn't call for Green after the MU game, actually I think not too many people did. But if you look at Lee's perfomances against VT, MU and TT 10 out of 11 quarters were just bad. It's time to see if CG can play better. Besides not quitting is expected. If your team is down by 12 points with more than a quarter to go and you call it a game you should be kicked off the team

i have nothing against Cody Green, but I see the same results if our O line does not step it up. It won't be as easy to give Cody a pass on rookie mistakes, when Lee is a rookie himself and is getting written off already. As far as getting kicked off the team for giving up, then the O line should be kicked off the team for their brilliant performance in the 4th qtr. I love having 4th and Goal from the 30 yrd line... <_< If Green plays the whole game against ISU and NU loses, is that OK then? I didn't know the red button has been pushed... :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

i have nothing against Cody Green, but I see the same results if our O line does not step it up. It won't be as easy to give Cody a pass on rookie mistakes, when Lee is a rookie himself and is getting written off already. As far as getting kicked off the team for giving up, then the O line should be kicked off the team for their brilliant performance in the 4th qtr. I love having 4th and Goal from the 30 yrd line... <_< If Green plays the whole game against ISU and NU loses, is that OK then? I didn't know the red button has been pushed... :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

No, if we lose that would not be ok. But apparently Lee tried and failed. Sure OL play was also bad, didn't help Lee at all but maybe Cody can deal better with it. Who knows? Until we haven't given him the chance to prove we won't know. If he doesn't play better than Lee, well I guess then we are screwed