NU needs to re-implement old system of recruiting

rkhufu7

I know that Oklahoma is down, but not that far, they have lost the Hypsman trophy winner this year, their top Tight end and a couple of others. They have three losses by a total of how many points. All were highly ranked teams.

Texas barely beat them and you know the team was not at full strength to begin with but to lose Sam had to hurt them mentally in the game.

Oklahoma may not be ranked high, but they are still one of the elite teams in the country.

Andy,

I understand the recruiting side quite well, but my thinking, if Oklahoma, Oklahoma State can get top level classe we should be real close in the hunt.

Our population hurts us there is no question, but Kansas and Missouri are closing the gap if there is one, and they have larger more populated areas to draw from. Not so much Kansas, but the KCMO area is a good area for them.

We used to get a lot of kids from that area, not so many anymore it seems.

I was not on the Pelini band wagon, did not want him here for any reason. I was very connected to the program back then, and knew a lot about what was going on. Coach Pelini has a very big booster in Texas that got him back here. But since he has been back I have grown to like him. I have always liked his fire, but have always felt he was a loose cannon. That was one of my fears, and watching his sideline antics and his interviews, see that he is still the time bomb he has always been, but I think Coach Osborne has worked with him and I think he will figure that out. If he doesn't he will not be here long.

He is the face of Nebraska, the program, the team, he is Nebraska to the outside world. No other Nebraska person is as well known around the country as Coach Pelini. He realizes it and has made coment everytime he has had a problem.

I know the players love him, and I think he is very fair. But the image he comes accross on TV is that of a bully, abusive, dictatorish to the outside world. Parents watching his interviews, his side line demeanor may question if they want their son to play with that kind of action around them. You play/act like your coach.

I have met Bo and he is a very funny man, but there is a light switch on him.

I want him to succeed very badly, I do not want another coaching change for any reason

We have been down for a long time. We have not beaten an elite team in many many many years. Oklahoma in 2001, that truly was not an elite team. Elite to me is top 15. We have not been relevent in college football for awhile.

I do not feel we can line up with any of the top programs in the country and win at this time.

That is my reality, still a fan, still send lots of money every single year to the program. Still try to get to at least one home game a year, some times two. Normally go to the bowl game. And will continue to this year.

I wear my red to every game I go to, high school, junior college, bowl games and to the Pro games my wife forces me into going to.

I support them in every way I can, but I do not follow them like a drunken sailer, all are not pretty.

First I am not a gambler, but that is how I decide what I have to offer.

I make my mind up on who I think will win by the amount of money I would be willing to bet on them.

It is easy to say you are a fan, but until it costs you something to be a fan you are just talking in my mind.

I am a fan, but I am realistic enough to know we do not have a good QB, we have an injured RB, no second string RB, a Oline that is truly not a Nebraska Oline. Would I bet my house on single game remaining this year. Not a chance.

If you are, you are a fool, and I do not think that by any means. When someone says we will beat Oklahoma, I ask would you bet your house on that, never had a single one say yes in many years. Not since the second year of Coach Solich's regin.

Dude, the old "would you bet your house on it" is the worst line ever. Come on, its a bet/gamble, so there is always a chance that something freaky could happen, so yeah, most people arent betting their house on it. Like with USC and Stanford a few years back, weird things can always happen.

Secondly, you mention that parents migth not want their kid to play for a coach that "acts like Bo" really? Come on, Bob Knight got great college players, Coach K, who rides refs more then anyone gets great players all the time. Stoops is a total jerk to refs and reporters. Parents want their kids to be happy and if their kid is happy with Bo, they will want them to play there. They want their kids to learn to be accountable and to become a man or an adult, they dont want to hear about taking an easy way out, or getting into trouble or cheating.

Are their parents that wouldnt want Pelini for their kid, of course there is, but 99% of the time parents dont say "I dont want you to play football and go to college for free because of coach X"

By the time you are 18 most parents are letting the kid make the choice.