NU needs to re-implement old system of recruiting

rkhufu7

and tweak it. NU should not waste time trying to be USC, LSU or Florida, when they will not get that caliber of offensive talent. It is less than 10 years ago when NU lost to Miami in the Rose Bowl and the FOOLS who say that defenses are to fast and that you have to pass now days do not know anything about football! USC, Alabama and Miami all use FBs and run the I-formation and they are not spread teams. Teams that run a passing spread, save for UT are teams that went that way because of a lack of talent or just HC preference like TTech. The NFL runs the power I just not the option and they even run the Wildcat. Check the rosters and depth charts, NU didn't have the biggest OL in the 90s and the teams that won big, ALL had SPEED defenses! The reason the offense was scrapped is that the old TO regime was dumped and so went the ties to the DYNASTY. The offense had many instate OL that would not be recruited now days because they are looking for the 6'8" OT and passing QB. Didn't folks notice that KSU won mucho games under Snyder with dual threat QBs and WRs that made it to the NFL. The system needed tweaking and Solich was part of that, but the defense, walk on program could have been kept and the offense just needed some top quality skill talent and Solich wasn't getting it!!! POOR RECRUITING BY SOLICH took him out and hiring Callahan finished the program off. FOOLS point to these offensive stats ran up vs BAD defenses and then say WE HAVE A GREAT OFFENSE... Where is this offense in big games? Where was it vs Missouri in 07-08 or against OU last year? The old system kept scoring with the 3rd FB and 4th I-back and the 3rd walk on QB in the game on running plays. The 90s offense scored in Seattle and in the Orange Bowl vs Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Leonard Little, Al Wilson, Overstreet and other NFL players. NU doesn't get the best Texas WRs, RBs and such, they get kids that UT and OU did not recruit from Texas. NU is competing with Tech, OSU and Missouri for second tier players that are playing for TCU and UH. You are not gonna beat UT or OU for Big 12 titles and play for and win a BCS/MNC trying to run THEIR offenses with players THEY didn't want!!!

and tweak it. NU should not waste time trying to be USC, LSU or Florida, when they will not get that caliber of offensive talent. It is less than 10 years ago when NU lost to Miami in the Rose Bowl and the FOOLS who say that defenses are to fast and that you have to pass now days do not know anything about football! USC, Alabama and Miami all use FBs and run the I-formation and they are not spread teams. Teams that run a passing spread, save for UT are teams that went that way because of a lack of talent or just HC preference like TTech. The NFL runs the power I just not the option and they even run the Wildcat. Check the rosters and depth charts, NU didn't have the biggest OL in the 90s and the teams that won big, ALL had SPEED defenses! The reason the offense was scrapped is that the old TO regime was dumped and so went the ties to the DYNASTY. The offense had many instate OL that would not be recruited now days because they are looking for the 6'8" OT and passing QB. Didn't folks notice that KSU won mucho games under Snyder with dual threat QBs and WRs that made it to the NFL. The system needed tweaking and Solich was part of that, but the defense, walk on program could have been kept and the offense just needed some top quality skill talent and Solich wasn't getting it!!! POOR RECRUITING BY SOLICH took him out and hiring Callahan finished the program off. FOOLS point to these offensive stats ran up vs BAD defenses and then say WE HAVE A GREAT OFFENSE... Where is this offense in big games? Where was it vs Missouri in 07-08 or against OU last year? The old system kept scoring with the 3rd FB and 4th I-back and the 3rd walk on QB in the game on running plays. The 90s offense scored in Seattle and in the Orange Bowl vs Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Leonard Little, Al Wilson, Overstreet and other NFL players. NU doesn't get the best Texas WRs, RBs and such, they get kids that UT and OU did not recruit from Texas. NU is competing with Tech, OSU and Missouri for second tier players that are playing for TCU and UH. You are not gonna beat UT or OU for Big 12 titles and play for and win a BCS/MNC trying to run THEIR offenses with players THEY didn't want!!!

Couldn't agree more. NU actually had an edge in recruiting for this style of ball. We were THE program to go to if you were an option qb, lineman, hb in high school.

You > :w00t < panic button

The sky is not falling. We would be fine if 1) We had a qb who can execute 2) Had an offensive line that was coached well 3) Had 1 playmaker at wide out.

It's that simple. Sounds like a lot, but really shouldn't be. A couple new offensive coaches and a good recruit or two and problem solved. Anybody not caring whether T. Gabbert comes now?

Couldn't agree more. NU actually had an edge in recruiting for this style of ball. We were THE program to go to if you were an option qb, lineman, hb in high school.

NU took the QBs that others turned in WRs, DBs and such. We took the OL that were not tall enough and made them All-Americans in the Nu system, while beating the blue chip, NFL factory programs. Focus on instate interior linemen, FBs, TEs, ILBs and WRs with out of state recruiting adding QBs that we can't get enough of here and all other skill players. The Big 12 has allowed NU to hit Texas big for talent and there are plenty of RBs, REs, DBs, OLBs and such to fill out a very talented roster. GaTech runs the archaic offense but two kids from good Texas schools went their that I know, one was a WR from Austin LBJ and the other was a 3000 yards rusher with 4.3 speed from SA. Kids wanna win and HS teas still rujn and win with the NU system here in Texas, Judson, Trinity and Katy as well as North Shore all run power I and mix in some option and play hellacious defense!!!

Another thing too is those kids knew they were going to explode off the ball and run block. We waste far too much time shifting and pass blocking that our kids are never going to develop into good lineman at anything. Leach's kids know how to pass block. They've committed to it. We can do everything poorly. If Bo really wants us to knock people off the ball then we need to spend more time practicing that and the plays that call for that.

So you are saying that you want to go back to recruiting smaller quicker o linemen who other teams dont want and go back to the old system just without the qb option and more passes? So I guess you are saying that you want to run what Watson ran when he was at CU? I think that's what Watson would love to run, and that's what we started out running last year in Watson's first year taking over the entire offense. Where did that get us? It got us 2.2 ypc against va tech and 2.2 ypc against mizzou. You say that we were still scoring with our 4 string rb's against teams when we ran the old offense, that's probably bc we could recruit as many players as we wanted and our 4th string rb was a 1st team rb at most schools, we have limits now. Also in the big 8 it was like playing this years k state almost every week aside from maybe one big non conference game and one or two big conference games. By the time TO was in the big 12 he had already had over 15 years to establish himself and he was getting outstanding talent at positions of need. I really see us in the Alabama mold in the next few years. Run a power run game with a big powerful o line and play outstanding defense. I think that's what Bo wants to run and if Wats is still here thats what he wants to run. Bottom line is, no matter what offense you run you have to have top notch skill players at whatever you're best at. Back in the day we didnt need a ton of receivers bc we didnt pass much, but we wouldn't have been near as good without Rozier, Gill and Fryer, or Frazier, Green, Phillips, Frost, and an outstanding defense for the entire 90's.

Note: We are getting back to the big run blocking man eaters at o line. Give Qvale, Sirles, Rodrigues, Moore, Reeves and hopefully some more time to get in there.

double edged sword here, in the Solich era, players were not coming to NU because of the offense we had, the option was a dying system and teams were stopping it, skill position players such as WR and TE also looked the other way because they were the last option in the option offense. Joe Dailey was our last true option QB at NU and he did not run it all that well and of course we all know what happened after that. It's always a cycle, Bo will get players in here and some diamond in the roughs will come up through the walk-on program. No sense trying to compare the past anymore, it will probably never happen again.

Change is good at times, not so good at others.

Blaming the coaches is not the answer. Watson is here because of one reason. Mr. Tom Osborne.

If Coach Osborne feels he is the guy to lead our offense, my guess he most likely is.

We need a quarterback, plain and simple. Zac was never intended to be the starter here, he had back up written all over him from the start.

Green may have been recruited to be the starter, but has not had time to be one yet. We do not get the top talent. For what ever reason, Michigan or Ohio State have little to offer over us, but yet they get the top kids. Notre Dame has a pretty good QB it appears.

It is about recruiting. We need to figure out how to get the top kids or at least have them consider us. Keep the ones we get and not drive them off.

This staff is not doing the job in that department. It is mid to late October and we have 9 commits with one likely to bail. The top programs have near the limit on line already. We have to do better or we will never return to the top. This has got to become the driving force for this program.

We have great history and tradition, but it means squat if you get embarassed on National TV on a regular basis.

We are in a huge talent hole, and it is getting deeper day by day.

Texas has 16 four star athletes comitted. We have 3. Texas Tech has 20 commitments with 4 four stars.

Most of the top 25 have 20 commited. We have 9. The battles are almost over. We may not have a full class again. That should tell you how badly we are failing.

We are currently ranked 42 by Rivals. The top 9 in their list are always in the NC hunt or have won them. Teams that do not even win are out recruiting us badly. Texas A&M, Washing ton and others I am sure.

This is not a coaching problem people. Other than the fact that they can not recruit for squat.

This is a talent problem, just like it was with Callahan, and in another 6 months most will be screaming for the head of Bo and wanting to go back to the power I and option.

I have no answer for what is happening, but it is not a lack of coaching is my guess.

skersfan, every time someone post that we are behind on recruiting, about half a dozen or more rip them for it. I asked about the w/r's last recruiting class and was told not to worry about it we had plenty behind Swift and Peterson coming up. Same type replies about o-line. Watched as Ganz finished his stay here, and I kept reading that we would be ok at q/b with Lee, Green, Spano. The coaches had were getting the players they wanted, not to worry. Well it looks like we could be going down that same road again. 9 commits at this time of the year is not good, I don't care what any body says. Now were trying to get kids that have all ready commited to other schools to change their minds. Same thing people on here are always complaining about, when it happens to us.

I think this is a good staff, they just might not be good recruiters. jmo

GBR!!!

Reality is we have sucked for a long time. Not much change at this point.

Coaches can only do so much with what they have.

I think Bo gets the most out of the kids on defense, but it is easier to be a defensive player. Talent is needed in the skill positions.

Most credit Callahan with great recruiting. I have always said bull$hit. He got numbers and the top kids he got normally left.

Having 9 commits on board is a joke. We are not doing a good enough job period.

We have left overs on this team, kids the top programs had no interst in. It has been that way since Coach Osborne left. He may not have had the highest ranked players but he always had game breakers.

We never get those kids. There has to be a reason. Until we find that reason and overcome it we will be sucking hind tit for ever in the confernence.

I do not want to the hear the crap we recruit who we want and who will fit our program. Right now it does not take much to fit our program. Less than average play with little drive and desire to learn and perfect your missions seem to be the stong points.

I'm emabarassed by our recruiting and how we are waisting money. There was a kid from Banning, California there this weekend. He told them he had no real interest in going to Nebraska, but we still had him come. He told them no. His mother is a friend of my wife. His comments were why go all the way across the country to play for a loser . Great endoresement on our recruiting isn't it.

Until the fans understand where we are in the real battle zone for college football, we will continue to have these visions, and continue to get blown out of the water by any team that can get quality players to come.

We can't, and it started with Solich.

This staff is not doing the job in that department. It is mid to late October and we have 9 commits with one likely to bail. The top programs have near the limit on line already. We have to do better or we will never return to the top. This has got to become the driving force for this program.

exactly, our talent level sucks and we will continue to be a 2nd tier team in the Big 12, maybe worse, unless these coaches can figure out how to recruit......next year and the year after will be no different, we have kids who have been in our system for 2-3 years and they are still on the bench. sad.......like it or not, we have very little talent and the prospects are dim going forward.

skersfan, every time someone post that we are behind on recruiting, about half a dozen or more rip them for it. I asked about the w/r's last recruiting class and was told not to worry about it we had plenty behind Swift and Peterson coming up. Same type replies about o-line. Watched as Ganz finished his stay here, and I kept reading that we would be ok at q/b with Lee, Green, Spano. The coaches had were getting the players they wanted, not to worry. Well it looks like we could be going down that same road again. 9 commits at this time of the year is not good, I don't care what any body says. Now were trying to get kids that have all ready commited to other schools to change their minds. Same thing people on here are always complaining about, when it happens to us.

GBR!!!

Boise St. once again ranked in the 70's in recruiting and as of now only 5 recruits on board. Somehow they continue to win. Through a coaching change too. I don't think they are using a freaky, one-off, running based offense either. You get guys doing the right things and you will do ok. Our guys are doing anything but the right things on offense.

GBR!!!

Boise St. once again ranked in the 70's in recruiting and as of now only 5 recruits on board. Somehow they continue to win. Through a coaching change too. I don't think they are using a freaky, one-off, running based offense either. You get guys doing the right things and you will do ok. Our guys are doing anything but the right things on offense.

All true. I just don't think they would be able to hold up playing in the Big 12. That win over Oregon, was them catching them at the right time. I don't think they would be able to beat them now. I like what Boise St has been able to do, but to have to play a Big 12 schedual year after year, I don't think they hold up. jmo

GBR!!!