There still is hope

I think maybe we are jumping the gun on this Lee is terrible and Green needs to be the starter. This is Lee's 1st year starting and really getting any game experience at all. He has big shoes to fill behind Ganz, also remember how long it took Ganz to really get things going. Ganz had 3 games his junior year where he started and we didnt know if he was going to be any good going into his Senior year and the offense didnt click untill the TTech game which would have been Ganz's 9 start. I know we dont want to think it will take 9 games to get into a rythm and i dont really think it should either, but Lee is a 1st year QB along with alot of other new parts to this offensive system this year. So i think we can still cut Lee some slack, he definitely needs to pick it up, but so do alot of other players that would help Lee tremendously.

On the other hand the amount of time it appears to take a 1st time QB to get acclimated maybe Green should start from here on out. Get through this season and then we have 3 years with one starter. Whatever Bo's decision is i think i can handle it and be able to make an argument for both sides, with the exception of rotating QB's, that is a garaunteed disaster.

I think maybe we are jumping the gun on this Lee is terrible and Green needs to be the starter. This is Lee's 1st year starting and really getting any game experience at all. He has big shoes to fill behind Ganz, also remember how long it took Ganz to really get things going. Ganz had 3 games his junior year where he started and we didnt know if he was going to be any good going into his Senior year and the offense didnt click untill the TTech game which would have been Ganz's 9 start. I know we dont want to think it will take 9 games to get into a rythm and i dont really think it should either, but Lee is a 1st year QB along with alot of other new parts to this offensive system this year. So i think we can still cut Lee some slack, he definitely needs to pick it up, but so do alot of other players that would help Lee tremendously.

On the other hand the amount of time it appears to take a 1st time QB to get acclimated maybe Green should start from here on out. Get through this season and then we have 3 years with one starter. Whatever Bo's decision is i think i can handle it and be able to make an argument for both sides, with the exception of rotating QB's, that is a garaunteed disaster.

don't wanna be the thread police but there are like 4 of them discussing that

The only threads i see are ones saying Green should be the starter, Wats needs to be fired, Go back to the option, and the sky is falling. I was trying to start a thread with a little more positive spin and give reasons from both angles, but if the mods see this will fit in another thread, please move.

If you want to say this is Lee's first year, it's also Cody's. Just sayin'.

That was the other part of my argument. It is so important to have a QB for multiple years because it helps with the continuity of the offense. Changing QB's every year as we have done for the last decade hasnt helped our offensive output. While Lee is in his first year starting he obviously knows more of the playbook, but at this point it may be more important to build for the future. These are all things I am sure Bo is weighing, i just dont want to see a QB rotation.

To add on that if we assume it takes 9 games to get settled in and Green starts from hear on out then we can pretty much chalk this season up to growing pains. Is anyone ready to concede the season 2 games into big 12 play?

That was the other part of my argument. It is so important to have a QB for multiple years because it helps with the continuity of the offense. Changing QB's every year as we have done for the last decade hasnt helped our offensive output. While Lee is in his first year starting he obviously knows more of the playbook, but at this point it may be more important to build for the future. These are all things I am sure Bo is weighing, i just dont want to see a QB rotation.

To add on that if we assume it takes 9 games to get settled in and Green starts from hear on out then we can pretty much chalk this season up to growing pains. Is anyone ready to concede the season 2 games into big 12 play?

I am not certain that there is anything to concede... is there? If Green starts and Lee is a backup what possibly could NU concede that it might otherwise have attained if Lee were in?

One reason that the West Coast is tough to run in college is that it takes years to learn it and run it. With 320 plays and a bad offensive line and guys dropping passes this is just what you get. Lee or Green same result. And look for Watson to start Lee he is what we have and Green is not better at running this NFL shotgun lateral throwing multiple West Coast offense! In a few years Green may be up to speed on it!

Didn't Ganz throw for like 1,200 yards and 9 TD's in those 3 games? We knew he was going to do well going into hie senior year. In my opinion, you can't even come close to comparing Gand and Lee.

I am not certain that there is anything to concede... is there? If Green starts and Lee is a backup what possibly could NU concede that it might otherwise have attained if Lee were in?

I am just saying that if Lee is going through his growing pains and is already 6 games in we are practically starting over with Green coming in and making the same mistakes we have already seen through the first 6 games. I think Lee will get better but so will Green, who will make the most improvement or give us the best chance to win i dont really know. One thing i do know, if the Oline and WR dont improve it wont matter who the QB is we arent going to move the ball. QB's are only as good as their line and WR allow them to be. Peyton Manning could come in here and if every ball he throws is dropped and only gets .5 seconds in the pocket before he gets rushed he wouldnt even be able to move the ball. I guess my main thing is the offensive suckage doesnt rest solely on Lee.

I have been a Zac Lee fan also, and i think if you put Zac on last years team he does very well cause he would have a better O-line and would be throwing to Nate Swift and Todd Peterson.

But he is on this team and what this offense needs is a playmaker, and i think Cody Green gives you that. When Green got into the game i saw more than once a defensive player try to tackle Green and he shook the defender off with ease. Lee goes down to easy and with a struggling Oline and inconsistent WR's we need a QB that will be strong in the pocket and also will tuck the ball and run.

Lee needs playmakers to make plays, you take Helu out and there goes your only playmaker.

Green is a playmaker.

If Zac Lee continues to start this year, here is something to think about:

Is Zac Lee good enough to keep Cody Green off the field next year when Green has a year of experience in this offense?

I think that right now Lee has a slight advantage over Green because of his knowledge of the offense, but with Green's athletic ability i think that next he will win the job no matter what happens the rest of this year

The biggest issue with the NU QB's is the lack of a QB coach that has played the position at a high level, that can fix their mistakes, and groom them into being better QB's. Watson knows the play book but is not a QB coach. Until NU gets a great QB coach we will continue to see mediocre QB play.

The only counter-argument I offer is that I think Zac Taylor did a pretty good job considering his physical tools. If you gave him the physical tools of say, a Zac Lee, I think Taylor would have been a phenomenal quarterback. Just my opinion though.

One thing for sure Lee is NOT ganz