There still is hope

The biggest issue with the NU QB's is the lack of a QB coach that has played the position at a high level, that can fix their mistakes, and groom them into being better QB's. Watson knows the play book but is not a QB coach. Until NU gets a great QB coach we will continue to see mediocre QB play.

The only counter-argument I offer is that I think Zac Taylor did a pretty good job considering his physical tools. If you gave him the physical tools of say, a Zac Lee, I think Taylor would have been a phenomenal quarterback. Just my opinion though.

Nice post. Where I am coming from is that Lee is aiming the ball more than he is throwing the ball. So far Watson hasn't been successful in correcting this. When he warms up he zips the ball. In the spring game he was throwing the ball with authority. In this years games he is aiming the ball rather than throwing the ball.

The biggest issue with the NU QB's is the lack of a QB coach that has played the position at a high level, that can fix their mistakes, and groom them into being better QB's. Watson knows the play book but is not a QB coach. Until NU gets a great QB coach we will continue to see mediocre QB play.

The only counter-argument I offer is that I think Zac Taylor did a pretty good job considering his physical tools. If you gave him the physical tools of say, a Zac Lee, I think Taylor would have been a phenomenal quarterback. Just my opinion though.

Nice post. Where I am coming from is that Lee is aiming the ball more than he is throwing the ball. So far Watson hasn't been successful in correcting this. When he warms up he zips the ball. In the spring game he was throwing the ball with authority. In this years games he is aiming the ball rather than throwing the ball.

I just thought of something, has Watson been the OC since Callahan got here? If not, I guess that kind of lost some validity with my Zac Taylor comments lol. I think he has been here that long though, right?

And I couldn't agree more. He seems to be over-analyzing where he wants to throw instead of just doing it. He seems to be thinking of all the things that COULD go wrong instead of just focusing on making plays. It is frustrating to watch.

I just thought of something, has Watson been the OC since Callahan got here? If not, I guess that kind of lost some validity with my Zac Taylor comments lol. I think he has been here that long though, right?

And I couldn't agree more. He seems to be over-analyzing where he wants to throw instead of just doing it. He seems to be thinking of all the things that COULD go wrong instead of just focusing on making plays. It is frustrating to watch.

Wats has not been the OC since BC. It was originally Jay Norvell.

Wats has not been the OC since BC. It was originally Jay Norvell.

But i think Watson has been the OC since 2006 which was Zac Taylor's final year

If Zac Lee continues to start this year, here is something to think about:

Is Zac Lee good enough to keep Cody Green off the field next year when Green has a year of experience in this offense?

I think that right now Lee has a slight advantage over Green because of his knowledge of the offense, but with Green's athletic ability i think that next he will win the job no matter what happens the rest of this year

But Lee's more athletic.

If Zac Lee continues to start this year, here is something to think about:

Is Zac Lee good enough to keep Cody Green off the field next year when Green has a year of experience in this offense?

I think that right now Lee has a slight advantage over Green because of his knowledge of the offense, but with Green's athletic ability i think that next he will win the job no matter what happens the rest of this year

But Lee's more athletic.

I think Lee is athletic but I don't think he is like CG.

I hear exactly what you're saying billdozer, I totally appreciate and agree. I'll root for either, whoever starts, and keep it that way. I still, despite the below average performance by Lee, think he is the better & more natural QB to this point, and hope things will click and he'll be as good as a few games we've seen out of him. The offensive line has played terrible. There is no threat from the running game, and the WR's look like they are running through the motion. We all know this. Zac is not turning the ball over, he's not flinging it so that every other downfield pass is potentially picked off. His accuracy is not good, he is aiming a lot, and the pocket pressure is getting into his head. We've also seen some amazing passes and reads as well. I think whoever said it would help with a true QB coach around, is onto something. Hell, maybe Watson should get his ass down from the booth and onto the sideline. We've all seen Zac get it done before. I think dude really needs to get set and just play football, trust his arm and ability, and trust his teammates. If it fails, instead of adding pressure, let it go, keep trying, keep playing football.

I understand his solid play has been against creampuffs. If you can do it in a game, that's proof enough that you have the ability to do it against tougher competiton. Some ppl rise up, Zac hasnt yet. Yet.

If Green starts, again, I'll cheer it on... I think the inconsistent play from the line and recievers will put the same pressure on Green at some point. He has shown no touch on any of his passes, thrown several possible INTs, but takes those downfield shots, and also has shown running and scrambling ability that's very impressive. One of these guys has to get it done. Bumpy ride, but that's the way it is.

But Lee's more athletic.

Depends on what you mean. Yes, if you are saying Lee has better straight away speed. No, if you are saying Green is shiftier and has better lateral quickness. Green perhaps has better instinct as a runner. He can make you miss. Lee can't.

Look, I have said this several times before. Look at Lee's Juco statistics. He had very little net rushing. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he isn't that good of a runner. He is a drop back passer who needs a lot of improvement.

But Lee's more athletic.

Depends on what you mean. Yes, if you are saying Lee has better straight away speed. No, if you are saying Green is shiftier and has better lateral quickness. Green perhaps has better instinct as a runner. He can make you miss. Lee can't.

Look, I have said this several times before. Look at Lee's Juco statistics. He had very little net rushing. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he isn't that good of a runner. He is a drop back passer who needs a lot of improvement.

As I have posted several times, my newphew Mike plays for NU. He says Lee is a lot more athletic than Green and is one of the most athletic guys on the team. I'll take his first hand knowledge over the opinion of eveybody here on this board.

But Lee's more athletic.

As I have posted several times, my newphew Mike plays for NU. He says Lee is a lot more athletic than Green and is one of the most athletic guys on the team. I'll take his first hand knowledge over the opinion of eveybody here on this board.

being athletic means nothing if you can't make the throws.......Lee is hugely inconsistent and appears unable to improve very much at all...lack of a decent qb coach is probably a contributing factor as well.

But Lee's more athletic.

being athletic means nothing if you can't make the throws.......Lee is hugely inconsistent and appears unable to improve very much at all...lack of a decent qb coach is probably a contributing factor as well.

You are 100% correct.

But Lee's more athletic.

How about we move Lee to WR! The ol Kerry Meier move! It's not like our WR play would be hurt.

But Lee's more athletic.

How about we move Lee to WR! The ol Kerry Meier move! It's not like our WR play would be hurt.

Hmmmm. Very interesting.

All of Lee's problems are above his shoulders. He will not improve markedly over the next 30 years. Some guys wait until the 18th green, standing over a five footer to win The Open to choke, Lee only needs to see a decent team on the other sideline to start tightening up. If he believes that throwing a pick could be the difference in winning and losing he becomes paralyzed. Against Sun Belt foes, he figures we'll win even if he throws 5 int's, so he plays a little looser. Had one of those SB teams taken us deep into the 4th quarter we would have seen the same Lee we saw against VT, Missouri and TT. Where the hell is Jack Stark, that's what I want to know?

I remember when we thought Scott Frost was worthless at one time also. It takes a while regardless of the talent. But I also know that Keller was the qb until his injury giving Ganz his shot. Who was in charge of that decision or who was the qb and offensive coordinator at the time? Another example. Sheffield or Potts. Until Pott's concussion Sheffield was carrying a clipboard. Need more examples. Look at Colorado. I'm sure all those coaches saw every practice snap also. I just think what hinders this offense is a lot deeper than a change at qb will fix. But then again maybe a spark is all that it takes. In other words.... :dunno