husker gear = fan...?

Just my musings after an absolutely excruciating dept. head meeting... grrooooaaannn...

Anyway, coupla weeks back when we were getting ready to decimate V-Tech, I had a 'chore' to do that afternoon and was moving my '54 Chevy pickup around the block in our small town. I was gonna park it out back and as I passed a neighbor's house I happened to see one of his guests drinkin' a beer in their garage with the garage door open... He was decked out in a HUSKERS sweatshirt and cap. So, what do I do? Well, of COURSE, I throw on the binders and holler out to him (remember my truck is OLD, but it ain't LOUD), "We gonna beat Tech tonight?" Seems like a reasonable question, right? That guy looked at me, like I had just asked if I could rape one of his dogs...! I thought, maybe he thought I said something crazy... So, I repeated it, and just got a head shake, still like I was crazy. Now, a crowd was approaching that door and so I pointed out the guy in the husker gear and said, "Husker guy! We gonna beat Virginia Tech..?" Nothing. So, I tossed the old truck into gear and off I went. It was disturbing to me. I've never EVER met another husker fan that wasn't ready to READILY yak about a game or the team. Now I'm wondering: Do you suppose he was an IMPOSTER???? A poser??? I've had to drink some to get beyond it... Just thought I'd share...

Husker gear does not equal fan at all. Matter of fact, there are a lot of people who wear sports gear just because they like the design, or to razz someone, or something like that. I have a fair amount of NU gear in the closet, but there were times in my life I haven't had much....just had to throw on a red shirt and call it good. Still, I have always been a MAJOR fan. Some of these door knobs have a lot of gear from all kinds of different teams, but claim loyalty to none. And that, my friend, is nerve racking as hell.

I made my old man get me a Husker jacket for Christmas this year (he spilled his pipe on the old one when we were going somewhere and pretty much turned me into the human torch) and it almost killed him. I'm pretty sure if he sees anybody wearing Husker gear he's pretty sure that not only is that person a Husker fan but also a target to hit with his truck... <_<

By the way...spent the entire of Sunday on the chain gang at my kid's football games proudly displaying my Husker jacket for everyone in the audience to see for six straight hours. Got a lot of guff from idiot Hawkeye fans but once I reminded them that they play in a conference that is football's equivilant to Ace of Cakes, they kinda shut up. I think they were embarrassed that they even knew what Ace of Cakes was...

That is pretty odd. I've run into people with NU gear on that may not be from Nebraska, or maybe a friend of theirs is the fan. But if the guy was wearing the hat and sweatshirt that seems a little weird because like yiou said anyone wearing that much gear is more than happy to rap Huskers. I know I have talked with complete strangers about NU on several occasions. Maybe the guy was just an A hole? :dunno

This story is not completely related, but I once had a guy approach me at a sears in Oklahoma, and comment on my Husker gear, and told me he was from Neb. Then I noticed he was wearing an OU shirt. So I looked at him quizically and asked "Your from Nebraska and your an OU fan?" You should have seen the look of shame on his face, priceless!

That is pretty odd. I've run into people with NU gear on that may not be from Nebraska, or maybe a friend of theirs is the fan. But if the guy was wearing the hat and sweatshirt that seems a little weird because like yiou said anyone wearing that much gear is more than happy to rap Huskers. I know I have talked with complete strangers about NU on several occasions. Maybe the guy was just an A hole? :dunno

This story is not completely related, but I once had a guy approach me at a sears in Oklahoma, and comment on my Husker gear, and told me he was from Neb. Then I noticed he was wearing an OU shirt. So I looked at him quizically and asked "Your from Nebraska and your an OU fan?" You should have seen the look of shame on his face, priceless!

I manage a store and had a customer come in with a Hawkeye coat on. I tried starting a conversation about Hawkeye football. His response was; I really don't care about Iowa I just like the look of the coat. Why a big Bird on a leather coat looks cool is beyond me, but it shows not everyone wearing gear is a fan.

Good responses... I suppose if he WAS NOT a true fan, then maybe he was just terrified of my hulking beast of a pickup from days gone by, rumbling past him with it's 'dated' GO BIG RED sticker in the back glass. It confused him. Caused him to panic (in fact now that I think about it, I DO think I may have seen a tiny little amber 'squirt' shoot out of him, initially, I thought it was some of his Bud Light dribble, but NOW... hmmmm....)... A non-husker fan COULD be easily confused, easily intimidated by other husker memorabilia approaching them quickly, with little warning like that... OK, starting to make sense now. Thanks guys! GO BIG RED!

I've got a detroit lions hoodie that I love because I got it back when Barry Sanders was playing, and it's still in good shape and comfortable, but I have absolutely NO clue about the current Lions or any of their players... Not a clue.

But I still like the hoodie! :woo

Just my musings after an absolutely excruciating dept. head meeting... grrooooaaannn...

Anyway, coupla weeks back when we were getting ready to decimate V-Tech, I had a 'chore' to do that afternoon and was moving my '54 Chevy pickup around the block in our small town. I was gonna park it out back and as I passed a neighbor's house I happened to see one of his guests drinkin' a beer in their garage with the garage door open... He was decked out in a HUSKERS sweatshirt and cap. So, what do I do? Well, of COURSE, I throw on the binders and holler out to him (remember my truck is OLD, but it ain't LOUD), "We gonna beat Tech tonight?" Seems like a reasonable question, right? That guy looked at me, like I had just asked if I could rape one of his dogs...! I thought, maybe he thought I said something crazy... So, I repeated it, and just got a head shake, still like I was crazy. Now, a crowd was approaching that door and so I pointed out the guy in the husker gear and said, "Husker guy! We gonna beat Virginia Tech..?" Nothing. So, I tossed the old truck into gear and off I went. It was disturbing to me. I've never EVER met another husker fan that wasn't ready to READILY yak about a game or the team. Now I'm wondering: Do you suppose he was an IMPOSTER???? A poser??? I've had to drink some to get beyond it... Just thought I'd share...

Something not quite right there.