Great news out of Boulder

WCHusker

"Hawkins: 'I'm going to be here for a long time'" :rollin

Dan Hawkins has been defensive for most of this season about the state of his program and the results his team has produced on the field. He switched to offense today.

In a 24-minute opening statement and 41-minute press conference at his weekly media luncheon, Hawkins sounded at times like a man trying to save his job, or, at least like a coach who is feeling the pressure to produce better results.

"In my deepest darkest moments, there is no question it's hard, it's a hard deal," Hawkins said. "I'm probably as hard on myself as anybody.

"That being said, I think we continue to work through it. Has it taken longer than we expected? Yeah, I'm not going to lie to you. It probably has. Have we made some mistakes along the way? Yep. I've made mistakes for 27 years."

One day after many of his players held a players-only meeting, Hawkins spent more than an hour with media members at his weekly luncheon today stating his case for why he believes he has the program on the right track, despite its 2-5 start, which has led to rancor discord among its fans.

Hawkins read several letters of support he and his staff have received in recent weeks. He said it has taken longer to win consistently than he believed it would when he was hired in December 2005. committed to finishing the job he started.

"I know this, I'm up to the task and our coaches are up to the task," he said. "...I'm going to be here for a long time."

Hawkins also said quarterback Tyler Hansen will run the entire offense this week, including the 2-minute drill, which his son had been responsible for the previous two weeks.

Hawkins called on fans to support the team. He said those fans who are disappointed with the state of his program should call his boss, athletic director Mike Bohn, and find out what they can do to help turn things around. He said he hopes fans will fill Folsom Field on Saturday when Missouri comes to town. The Buffs have lost three straight to the Tigers, including a combined margin of defeat in the past two games of 113-10.

The fourth-year coach also offered some explanations for why his team is 2-5 in a season that began with players focused on meeting Hawkins' offseason challenge to win 10 games. At the top of the list was how many young players are still featured in the lineup four years into his tenure.

"I think it's probably hard for the fans, I know its hard for me to think about in year four you're young," Hawkins said. "Why is that is year four? Why are you young?

"I think it's a combination of things really. I think it's a combination of not having a bunch of seniors. I think we have 11 on our team right now. So having a little bit of carry over there. We've lost some guys along the way, and for a variety of reasons. ...

"I really feel strongly about what we're doing and I think when you talk to the players, which I talked to a bunch of them again yesterday, I think they are very positive. I think they like what's going on. I think they feel good about what's going on.

"They're frustrated about losing just like we are, but I don't think anybody is disillusioned with the process."

What's funny about this is that Coach Callahan is a better coach that Hawkins.

Look at the facts, Coach Callahan came close to losing to Ball State, but he never lost to the likes of Montana State, a team that turned around and lost to a Nebraska team the next week, Chadron State. Yes, Hawk beat Oklahoma and West Virginia, but he also has only been to one bowl game and he is in his fourth year. Hawk doesn't have a winning season in three complete campaigns. Coach Callahan went to the Big 12 title game and took the Huskers to the Cotton and Alamo Bowls.

And the kicker....Callahan changed the offense from run first to pass first, thus washing out almost all of the players here because most didn't fit his system. Hawk made no such change.

Callahan better than Hawk. Man, that's a sad commentary.

What's funny about this is that Coach Callahan is a better coach that Hawkins.

Look at the facts, Coach Callahan came close to losing to Ball State, but he never lost to the likes of Montana State, a team that turned around and lost to a Nebraska team the next week, Chadron State. Yes, Hawk beat Oklahoma and West Virginia, but he also has only been to one bowl game and he is in his fourth year. Hawk doesn't have a winning season in three complete campaigns. Coach Callahan went to the Big 12 title game and took the Huskers to the Cotton and Alamo Bowls.

And the kicker....Callahan changed the offense from run first to pass first, thus washing out almost all of the players here because most didn't fit his system. Hawk made no such change.

Callahan better than Hawk. Man, that's a sad commentary.

Thou shall not ever talk up Callahan again. :dumdum

This thread is like a blind man making fun of the deaf guy, fail.....

How true. We're only 1 game ahead of CU in the Big 12 North race and we've already had our two easiest conference games. If this keeps up it won't be long before other schools feel the same way about Pelini & Co.

Come on.....this is only Bo's 2nd year. He doesn't even have a team full of his recruits yet.

Agreed. I'm just frustrated with how the season is going and tend to get a little sarcastic. I believe Bo will get it turned around. But if we're still seeing the type of performances that we've had this season in year 4 or 5 of Bo, I'm sure neither of us will be happy, and plenty of other Big 12 North fans will be.