Before my time...

Stu

Ahh Yes, the Scoring Explosion. Now you have opened another wound for those of us who are old timers....I was 15 that year. I had a blue scring exlosion poster in my room. We were supposed to win it all that year. Went to the NC undefeated and favored. We score with 48 seconds left or something like that. TO decides to go for 2 for the win against Miami at the shock of the TV announcers and the world.Turner Gills pass was tipped by Ken Calhoun of the Hurricanes . Everyone was talking about what a huge sport Nebraska was for going for 2 for the win instead of 1 to tie the game and win the NC. i don't recall playoffs back then.

Guess who went on to win Superbowls for the 49's? Doug Dubose,Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Irving Fryar...all part of thet scoring explosion team. I remember thinking for years that those guys could win the superbowl but not a NC under TO! Now thats bad, but there was a time when we thought TO could not win the big games. oh yes, there were times. No wonder Husker fans are mental.

Best Husker team ever, even without that National Championship.

Gill had a great passing touch, the best of our option quarterbacks.

Doug Dubose won a Superbowl based only on his great good fortune to sit on the 49er bench.

Irving Fryar never played for the 49ers.

Tom Osborne's decisions used to get second-guessed as much as Bo Pelini's or Shawn Watson's. We just had water coolers instead of the internet back then.

Let this show that the 80's teams don't get the respect that they deserve. Nebraska has fielded awesome teams for a lot longer than a lot of Husker fans realize. It wasn't just the 90's folks, and it isn't some freakishly unattainable goal to return to. We fielded teams that did this to opponents for decades.

How old are you? I'm 43 and was a Junior in HS that year. I'll say this Osborne stated that the greatest team he ever coached was the 95' squad, but also stated that the greatest Offense he ever coach was the 83' Offense. The NCAA record for most points that USC broke in 05' and then broken again last year by OU, up until USC broke the scoring record it was held by that 83 squad of ours and at that time we scored 624 points which was the NCAA record until USC came along in 05'. That 83 squad also averaged more yards per game than did the 95 squad. I was fortunate enough to have been to every single home and away game that year including the 1st annual Kick Off Classic at the Meadowlands against Penn St as well as my personal nightmare, The Orange Bowl vs Miami. Also one final thing here, which is also a first. NU had the top 3 players in the draft that year. Mike Rozier was the 1st pick on the NFL Draft Board but opted to go to the newly formed USFL (Pittsburgh Maulers) leaving Irving Fryar as the #1 overall Pick in the NFL draft followed by Dean Steinkuhler the #2 overall pick. What's funny is, NO OTHER COLLEGE TEAM IN HISTORY HAS EVER!! produced the top 3 picks in the draft.

Ahh Yes, the Scoring Explosion. Now you have opened another wound for those of us who are old timers....I was 15 that year. I had a blue scring exlosion poster in my room. We were supposed to win it all that year. Went to the NC undefeated and favored. We score with 48 seconds left or something like that. TO decides to go for 2 for the win against Miami at the shock of the TV announcers and the world.Turner Gills pass was tipped by Ken Calhoun of the Hurricanes . Everyone was talking about what a huge sport Nebraska was for going for 2 for the win instead of 1 to tie the game and win the NC. i don't recall playoffs back then.

Guess who went on to win Superbowls for the 49's? Doug Dubose,Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Irving Fryar...all part of thet scoring explosion team. I remember thinking for years that those guys could win the superbowl but not a NC under TO! Now thats bad, but there was a time when we thought TO could not win the big games. oh yes, there were times. No wonder Husker fans are mental.

Roger Craig graduated in 82' Dubose in 85' Rathman graduated in 84, Fryar played for New England, not the 49'rs

Also one final thing here, which is also a first. NU had the top 3 players in the draft that year. Mike Rozier was the 1st pick on the NFL Draft Board but opted to go to the newly formed USFL (Pittsburgh Maulers) leaving Irving Fryar as the #1 overall Pick in the NFL draft followed by Dean Steinkuhler the #2 overall pick. What's funny is, NO OTHER COLLEGE TEAM IN HISTORY HAS EVER!! produced the top 3 picks in the draft.

No kidding? I had no idea that that ever happened... What a great history note for those of us that weren't around during those times. Thanks Crymson! :thumbs

and I wasn't kididng about the Barry Sanders thing, Im only 21. I don't even remember him in the pro's let alone what year he graduated college. I think as a young guy I should still get points know it was sometime in the 80's and we were the only team tot beat them that year.(Idk if that was just big 12 or the entire year though.)

Gill had a great passing touch, the best of our option quarterbacks.

Doug Dubose won a Superbowl based only on his great good fortune to sit on the 49er bench.

Irving Fryar never played for the 49ers.

Tom Osborne's decisions used to get second-guessed as much as Bo Pelini's or Shawn Watson's. We just had water coolers instead of the internet back then.

Amen--and that's not disrespecting anyone else before or later. He really had a great arm for his style of QB.

Best Offense, anyway.

I remember after the Orange Bowl..That was when I first realized "Defense wins Championships".

Best Offense? We'd have to go player-by-player with 1995 to gauge that. It would be a good comparison, and filled with lots of tough decisions, that's for sure.

Best Offense, anyway.

I remember after the Orange Bowl..That was when I first realized "Defense wins Championships".

Best Offense? We'd have to go player-by-player with 1995 to gauge that. It would be a good comparison, and filled with lots of tough decisions, that's for sure.

I'd even say that the '82 Offense was a little better than the '95 Offense..But I'm a little biased <_<

I'd even say that the '82 Offense was a little better than the '95 Offense..But I'm a little biased <_<

I'm taking tomorrow off as I recover from this mess of a cold/flu I've contracted, so maybe I'll go position-by-position and see what I think. It'll be a good way to kill a boring day amongst the coughing and broth-drinking.

I'm taking tomorrow off as I recover from this mess of a cold/flu I've contracted, so maybe I'll go position-by-position and see what I think. It'll be a good way to kill a boring day amongst the coughing and broth-drinking.

Great idea :thumbs Post the lineups in this thread :horns2

Hope you get to feeling better.

'95 defense wins hands down over the '83 defense.

But here's a funny little stat worth considering:

The 1983 Cornhuskers attempted 4 field goals.....the entire season.

I don't know what the record is for least field goals attempted, but in this case it was the mark of a team that just went down and scored touchdowns.

('95 team attempted 16 field goals)