Figured out?

I know there is a love watson and hate waston divide right now, but I am starting to think that its not so much that the scheme is bad, you can win with any scheme if its used well (personally I like what the Ducks, UF and WVU run) but it seems like the other coaches in the league took about one year to figure Watson out.

I know he called plays at CU but perhaps there was more influence from Barnett of what to call and if you really look at the numbers the stats were never great.

I think what we might be seeing now is defensive coaches in the league who have looked at game film of Watsons NU offense for a year and now they are simply shutting it down.

It could be that those coaches have adjusted and that Watson has not.

What I see is a completely different team this year so the scheme watson had last season doesn't apply. Ganz could throw on the run and was accurate with dumpoffs and had good vision...don't forget his two playmakers at wideout.

I've been upset with watson because of his inability to see the writing on the wall and keep calling plays that don't complement his players' strengths. He did a better job saturday. I saw the second half as Watson trying things to get ready for next week. After Baylor pulled to 10 Watson wisely went back to more power running. It didn't work out as well as expected but I thought he recognized things and made the appropriate adjustments. I have no problem with taking a 20 point lead and starting to open up the play book to prepare a lot of young offensive guys for next weeks disaster.

I think if you simply look at yesterday's game, it was a blowout in the first half. Second half, Baylor's coach adjusted, and no counter adjustments were made. I am a believer that with the right personnel you should be able to beat your opponent even when they know what's coming. If you can't pull it off though you must make adjustments to your strategy IMO.

Last year's 3rd string qb was our starter. Now a true frosh is our starter. Our best rb is playing hurt. Down to nobody but true freshmen at running back, and our best true frosh rb is out. All our receivers are either freshmen, or upper classmen recruited by the former regime and not very talented imho. Our offensive line was recruited to pass block or block the wco of the former regime. They have a lot to learn and may not learn it. Our offense will be better next year but it will be a few seasons before they are on par with the defense. Is coaching part of the problem? I don't know, but look at our offensive personnel. Temper your expectations, people.

To add to my last post, the bright spots are the tight ends. If Cody can figure out how to get the ball into McNeill's hands, run when he needs to, and dump the ball off to Tre when necessary, they might find that spark they've been looking for. It will take game reps. I'm always optimistic but OU may not be pretty. Good enough to beat KU, KSU, CU? If our defense holds their heads up and plays like they are capable of, we may still get our "just good enough" offense. If Niles gets his head in the game and keeps it there, they might yet be better than "just good enough".

What I see is a completely different team this year so the scheme watson had last season doesn't apply. Ganz could throw on the run and was accurate with dumpoffs and had good vision...don't forget his two playmakers at wideout.

I've been upset with watson because of his inability to see the writing on the wall and keep calling plays that don't complement his players' strengths. He did a better job saturday. I saw the second half as Watson trying things to get ready for next week. After Baylor pulled to 10 Watson wisely went back to more power running. It didn't work out as well as expected but I thought he recognized things and made the appropriate adjustments. I have no problem with taking a 20 point lead and starting to open up the play book to prepare a lot of young offensive guys for next weeks disaster.

What? Just because Cody was thrown in and is big, strong, and mobile enough to be considered probably the only legitimate healthy back that we really have? If it wasn't for Cody's athletic prowess Saturday, we would have been looking at another game with no offense. We are down to like 3rd or 4th string at running back, unless you want to consider Helu, who is not running with any power because of his shoulder being hurt. The offensive line are on their butts more than they are not. And receivers are not breaking away from anyone, anytime Cody completed a pass it was because he is able to either fastball it into traffic and get away with it or get good placement. Our receivers are not really getting that open. Expect to see interceptions against OU. It will be ugly. I don't like to pick against Nebraska, but when I make my pick next week, I cannot intelligently pick them. It will be interesting to see what the line is in Vegas.

If it wasn't for Cody's athletic prowess Saturday, we would have been looking at another game with no offense.

huh?

It was another game with no offense.

one (1) offensive td, against Baylor, a HUGE underdog.

maybe you saw some other game? :dunno

1 2 3 4 - Final

Nebraska 10 10 0 0 - 20

Baylor 0 0 10 0 - 10

1st quarter

NU - Justin Blatchford, 25 return of blocked punt

(Alex Henery kick), 13:31

NU - Alex Henery 45 field goal, 5:43

2nd quarter

NU - Alex Henery 22 field goal, 12:16

NU - Dontrayevous Robinson 1 run

(Alex Henery kick), 9:28