The Education of Cody Green

the Huskers limit their mistakes against a faster, more talented OU team, win the field position battle, and keep Green on a reasonably short leash – except for those one or two plays where he lets loose.

“This'll be like a NFL game,” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. “It's going to be a physical, hard-knocking football game. It's one of those games where it's important to win on normal downs and stay in a manageable third down situation. That's our objective: Stay on the field, move the ball, good things will happen.”

yup. Cally vs USC.

That strategy definitely made the SC game outcome more palatible.

to some.

fortunately we wont see anything close to that USC team in OU.

Nebraska HAS to show up Saturday and come out of the locker room at the kick off and be ready to play. They can't act like they never left the locker room like they have done so many times lately. Also, the O-line has to be physical, and not be on their butts the whole game, otherwise OU will punish Green.

I am hoping that Nebraska steps up this week and plays the perfect game. If they don't, this game could get ugly very fast, especially if their defense begins scoring on our offense.

I just think Watson's mentality, especially against a team like OU, is wrong. If we are gonna beat them, we need to take shots downfield. We need to get Niles Paul in single coverage and give him a shot deep. We need to get McNeill down the middle of the field for 15-20 yards. We don't need to treat it like an NFL game. That whole dink and dunk mentality is part of the reason our offense has been so inept this season. The WR screens and short hooks and outs to the sideline might work for a well-oiled NFL team with great talent and countless hours of practice. But it's not going to beat anyone in the college game, with an inexperienced offense without any real playmakers. Those passes are high risk with a true freshman quarterback (see: Baylor pick six) and low reward with average receivers. That's not a good combination.

Getting in 3rd and 4 isn't going to save us against OU, because our running game isn't capable of getting four yards, and our short passing game is too slow and simple for a defense like OU's. Although I would rather have it the other way around, our passing game (and particularly downfield passes >10 yards) is going to have to set up our running game. We need to take shots on 1st and 10 and mix up the playcalling enough to possibly get some big chunks in the running game on occasion. Then we'll hopefully be able to get some nice gains off simple play action passes like the one to Kyler Reed.

That is the best chance we have to get a few scores against that defense. Watson's offense, at least in the form it's been for most of this season, will result in a couple pick sixes and maybe 3 points.

I agree. I think that you shouldn't even have the mentality of "trying to get into third and manageables" because you shouldn't even want to see a first down. Your mentality on offense should be trying to get a first down or more on every play.

In other words, never run.

mel,

You have got to be kidding.

I know they are 5-3 but a total of 5 points from being undefeated, ranked in the top two in the BCS.

This is not some fly by night win if were lucky Iowa State.

They will run all over us,

We have to attack them, try to put the ball down field. If not it will be so ugly most will leave by half time.

We are facing by far the best team we have seen this year, no on has even been close. They will use this game at night on National TV to reestablish their season. We could not be facing a tougher opponent than we have Saturday. This will end up being our worst loss at home is my guess.

mel,

I know they are 5-3 but a total of 5 points from being undefeated, ranked in the top two in the BCS.

We have to attack them, try to put the ball down field. If not it will be so ugly most will leave by half time.

We are facing by far the best team we have seen this year, no on has even been close. They will use this game at night on National TV to reestablish their season. We could not be facing a tougher opponent than we have Saturday. This will end up being our worst loss at home is my guess.

all I said was that OU is not that USC team. they are not. I dont know how to attack OU. im not a coach... its takes hours to come up with a good game plan against a quality opponent. that usc team would not have lost to Miami and BYU at home and I highly doubt they lose to texas. and if you are going to give them close losses we are 7-1.

listen I am not saying we are going to beat them..... its highly unlikely, but you are giving them way to much credit and us not enough. if we can chew up clock it will be close simply because they will struggle with our D.

mel,

all I said was that OU is not that USC team. they are not. I dont know how to attack OU. im not a coach... its takes hours to come up with a good game plan against a quality opponent. that usc team would not have lost to Miami and BYU at home.

that makes no sense, considering OU didn't lose to Miami or BYU at home. Miami on the road, BYU at a neutral site.

No they lost to Stanford.

And lost with most of their starters on board.

I do not see us playing patty cake with them working.

We have to go down field and do it regularly. If not they will stack the box due to our very short passes.

If we do not open the box up we have no chance of running. Their Dline was rated ahead of ours to start the season, maybe close now due to Crick, but this is a team that is coming here to rekindle their season and prepare for next year.

Their depth will kill us later in the game. We have to try to score and score early, if we can not we do not have a chance.

That USC team lost to Stanford at home. Granted they were very good, but a healthy Bradford and this OU team is equally as good if not potentially better. Without him, they are still pretty darn good. A lot better than their record reflects, anyway.

I really don't think we'll have much of a shot, but we could surprise. We surprised against Texas in '07 to some degree, but our defense was just not very good that game and we eventually lost. I don't think we'll even come close because we don't have grit at QB, whoever plays. We may have some toughness in CG (remains to be seen), but the game is still flying by him at 100 miles per hour right now. Not a good deal. This may just be my (incorrect) pulse on where this team is right now, but if Zac had started and done well in a W against Baylor last week, he may have assembled the composure and confidence that would let me think we even have a prayer.

But that's why they play the games.

No they lost to Stanford.

And lost with most of their starters on board.

I do not see us playing patty cake with them working.

We have to go down field and do it regularly. If not they will stack the box due to our very short passes.

If we do not open the box up we have no chance of running. Their Dline was rated ahead of ours to start the season, maybe close now due to Crick, but this is a team that is coming here to rekindle their season and prepare for next year.

Their depth will kill us later in the game. We have to try to score and score early, if we can not we do not have a chance.

what does that have to do with anything?

mel,

all I said was that OU is not that USC team. they are not. I dont know how to attack OU. im not a coach... its takes hours to come up with a good game plan against a quality opponent. that usc team would not have lost to Miami and BYU at home.

that makes no sense, considering OU didn't lose to Miami or BYU at home. Miami on the road, BYU at a neutral site.

I was just saying BYU.... and no it wasnt at home, but it certainly wast a neutral site. its the closest thing to a home game you can get.

Oklahoma has lost three games by a total of 5 points. All ranked teams. Oklahoma without their best players. SC lost to Stanford with all their starters on board for the game.

Oklahoma gets their top receiver back for this game I think. Still missing the Hypsman player and a couple of Olinemen.

That USC team lost to Stanford at home. Granted they were very good, but a healthy Bradford and this OU team is equally as good if not potentially better. Without him, they are still pretty darn good. A lot better than their record reflects, anyway.

I dont think anyone would argue that OU is one of, if not the best team in the country with bradford and grisham (i'm not sure if thats spelled right) but they arent playing saturday, so I fail to see how that is relevant.

I agree. I think that you shouldn't even have the mentality of "trying to get into third and manageables" because you shouldn't even want to see a first down. Your mentality on offense should be trying to get a first down or more on every play.

And having that mentality will keep you from being a great team. Sure, I'd love to score a TD every play, or get a first down every play. Really, if every play is executed to perfection, that is the result that you will get. The only offensive plays not designed to score a TD are the spike, knee, and occasionally the dive/QB sneak if its not on the goal line. Under your mindset, we should always throw a long pass on 2nd and long, which is outrageous IMO. Sure, if your WR can get open deep consistently, call the plays that go that long, but the simple fact is against most defenses you CAN'T try to get a 1st down or more every play, playcalling-wise. I think you are forgetting the fact that there is another group on the other side of the ball.

Oklahoma has lost three games by a total of 5 points. All ranked teams. Oklahoma without their best players. SC lost to Stanford with all their starters on board for the game.

Oklahoma gets their top receiver back for this game I think. Still missing the Hypsman player and a couple of Olinemen.

and their all american tight end. but again we arent talking about how good they could be, we are talking about how good they are now. USC lost one game all year oklahoma has lost 3 so far and could very possibly lose another to okie state.