Eric Crouch or Scott Frost.....Best Athlete?

Well when it is obivous that Eric had no chance to make some yards(two or more defenders closing in), I would rather have the ball pitched to about anyone. Though Eric didn't have any all-pro RB's to run the option with, he selfishness killed a lot of plays that eventually killed drives that eventually jeopardized games.

You guys have got to be kidding me. Frost had an arm like a limp noodle. So what if he was stronger, or pitched the ball more. Crouch took what without him was a 7-7 team and got them to a national championship game. He could jump higher, run faster, juke better, throw farther, throw more accurately. All you guys have is Frost was a shot put, strong guy. To bad that didnt apply to his arm. He had national championship level talent on his team, and they made him look good. Crouch had .500 talent on his team, and he made himself look good. I dont care if he was more whiny, or wanted to quit, or didnt amount to much in the pros. He was a better quarterback than frost at Nebraska, and was obviously a better athlete. Give Crouch Ahman Green and the defense from 97 and he would have won multiple national titles.

You guys have got to be kidding me. Frost had an arm like a limp noodle. So what if he was stronger, or pitched the ball more. Crouch took what without him was a 7-7 team and got them to a national championship game. He could jump higher, run faster, juke better, throw farther, throw more accurately. All you guys have is Frost was a shot put, strong guy. To bad that didnt apply to his arm. He had national championship level talent on his team, and they made him look good. Crouch had .500 talent on his team, and he made himself look good. I dont care if he was more whiny, or wanted to quit, or didnt amount to much in the pros. He was a better quarterback than frost at Nebraska, and was obviously a better athlete. Give Crouch Ahman Green and the defense from 97 and he would have won multiple national titles.

Funny you should mention Frost as a shot putter, because that's exactly how he threw the football. He pushed it more or less. He ran the offense that was called for him, made due with the best he had.

Here's a little comparison that might clear up what he had and didn't have:

Ahman Green- Perennial Pro Bowler for the Green Bay Packers, 1000 yard rusher for several years.

Dahrran Diedrick- Signed to the practice squad twice and cut by the Green Bay Packers.

I understand what happens in the pros isn't necessarily a direct correlation of what happened in college, but Diedrick was an adequate back, Green was probably the best ever at Nebraska.

I also don't understand the comment about "Frost is Nebraska". I think of a good solid player that left Nebraska for greener pastures and came back with his tail between his legs and was never really accepted by many fans because of it. Crouch may or may not have attempted to quit. I think blaming the downfall of the program on Crouch is ridiculous. It is not his responsibility for who plays and who doesn't. Playcalling is the coaches responsibility and the coaches responsibility to let the players know that he is the one that makes the decisions. In 2001, there were not many opportunities to play in mop up duty because most of the games that year were close.

Both were great athletes, both tough SOB's, Crouch was a little faster and more agile, Frost a little bigger and maybe a bit stronger. I loved watching them both play. I recall the end around to Newcombe in the 97 Big 12 Championship when Frost layed out Dat Nguyen and the 99 Iowa-NU game when Crouch ran right through that safety like he wasn't even there. 2 of my recent more favorite plays. I think the 95 yard run Crouch had against MU was perhaps the most amazing run in NU history, one of the best I have ever seen. For that, I would have to say EC is a better athlete, because while Frost was a solid runner, he never made a play that was close to that.

In SI(curse) there was a picture of EC and a KU/KSU had twisted his head almost 180 and he isnt in a wheel chair , impressive.

The Dat Nguyen hit was also spectacular and my son thinks so too

:)

GBR

If Tagge was playing today he would be _____?????? Comparing teams is like?????

95 no comparisons no how

Maybe we should define athlete first. While I agree that Crouch was the better QB of the two, I wish someone would define better athlete. Frost had the fastest 10 yard dash on the team his senior year. So, was Crouch quicker? I don't know. We all know Crouch had a faster 40 yard dash time. We know Frost was bigger and stronger. When I think of athlete, I think of how they would perform in other sports. In basketball, I would take Frost because he was stronger and had about 3 inches or better on Crouch. In track and field, Crouch may win the sprints but Frost would win everything else. Baseball, hockey, whatever sport I think my vote would go to Frost. It's just like Berringer and Frazier. While Frazier may have been the better NU QB, hands down Berringer was a better all around athlete.

I don't know what happened to Frost's arm from high school to Stanford to NU. In high school, I believe he still holds the single season record in class c football. At Stanford, he actually had a pretty good stroke. After watching him shot put the ball for two seasons at NU, I'm still not sure what happened to his stroke. In terms of pressure, I think Frost handled it a lot better than Crouch. The 1996 season put a lot of pressure on Frost, and he handled it very well. I realize he went to Stanford and not NU immediately, but at least he came back home. Even though there are still fans who can't stand him, Frost is still one of my favorites along with Crouch.

I'm with Chicago here, 110%. Crouch had less talent around him. Everyone says how Solich tanked in the recruiting department. What Crouch did with what he had was amazing. He single handedly kept us in games, he did not cost us games. Versus CU in 2001, he is the single reason we almost came back in that game. He had more heart than all the other players on the 2001-2004 teams combined. If we had even one more player who wanted to win as badly as he did on that 2001 team we would have won the Big XII. And if we had even one player who wanted to win in 2004 as badly as he did, we would have won the Big XII North.

Since we have not seen either Frost or Crouch play any other sports, how can we possibly base who is the better athlete on that? For all you know, either could have the sweetest jump shot you have ever seen, or be able to throw a baseball 90 mph. We do not know anything other than that Frost could throw a shot put. Therefore, we go off of feats of athleticism found in the only sport we have seen them play... football. I dont know why Frost couldnt throw a football, but the fact remains that a 30 yard seem route was a real stretch for his arm. It's obvious that Frost was the larger and stronger physical speciman, which is why he played safety in the nfl, but it is equally obvious that Crouch is far faster and quicker than Frost, which is why he played wide receiver, the position that requires the most speed, quickness, leaping ability in football. He was also more elusive, and he could actually throw the ball. Therefore, better athlete, and his accomplishments on a mediocre team make him a better quarterback. End of debate.

I don't know how you can say there were no other sports to look at. They both did play other sports while they were in high school in Nebraska high schools. Frost dominated winning the all class shot put for 2 years. Crouch won the 100 his junior year, but got 2nd his senior year. Frost set a new state record. No records at the state level for Crouch.

In the strength and conditioning tests at NU, Frost holds the record for QB's. This in itself could almost qualify as a sport. Crouch is faster and more elusive, but I don't know whether or not he's quicker. Like I said, Frost had the fastest 10 yard dash speed his senior year. I don't know whether Crouch's was faster. Hell, Tommie Frazier was considered faster and more elusive than Berringer; but they ran the same 40 yard dash time.

In football, Frost had a 1,000/1,000 yard season. He was only the 7th QB in NCAA D1 history at the time to accomplish such a feat. I might be wrong, but I don't believe Crouch had one? If he did, he had the ball in his hands at the end of a play a lot more than Frost!

I guess if we're only going to base speed as the best athlete, then Fabian Washington or Kenny Cheatham were probably the best to ever play at NU!

Dude, quickness=elusiveness. If Frost was so quick, than how can Crouch be more elusive? He obviously had the ability to move his body very quickly in order to avoid tackles. I also think that a quarterback winning the state 100 yard dash is pretty impressive, and coming in second the next year, loosing only to Erwin Sweeney, who played cornerback and is in the NFL is also pretty impressive. You dont think that Crouch would beat Frost in almost every track event? The only ones he would loose in would be shot put and probably discus. He would win Javelin (thrown like a football, so Crouch obviously gets the upperhand over Frost's weak arm) Every single running event, including hurdles, high jump, long jump, tripple jump (Crouch was a wide receiver in the NFL, the position that has the highest leapers) Pretty much everything. You cant compare in other sports, because we havent seen them play, and once again, Frost's numbers are largely predicated on playing on an extemely talented football team. Guys couldnt come off of Green to try and stop Frost, so frequently both defenders would shoot for Green and give Frost an opportunity to get a big play. He was a good solid quarterback a damn good athlete, and probably had a much better mind set, but he wasnt as good as Eric Crouch.

http://www.huskerpedia.com/stats/stats_2001.html

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------

Diedrick, D. 11 233 1319 20 1299 5.6 15 38 118.1

Crouch, Eric 12 203 1261 146 1115 5.5 18 95 92.9

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

---------------------------------------------------------------

Crouch, Eric 12 124.31 189-105-10 55.6 1510 7 78 125.8

TOTAL OFFENSE G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G

----------------------------------------------

Crouch, Eric 12 392 1115 1510 2625 218.8

SCORING TD FGs Kick Rush Rcv Pass DXP Saf Points

-------------------------------------------------------------

Crouch, Eric 19 0-0 0-0 1-2 0 0-1 0 0 116

http://www.huskerpedia.com/stats/stats_1997.html

RUSHING G Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------------

A.Green 12 278 1925 48 1877 6.8 22 64 156.4

S.Frost 12 176 1200 105 1095 6.2 19 34 91.3

PASSING G Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

S.Frost 12 126.04 159-88-4 55.3 1237 5 51 103.1

TOTAL OFFENSE G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G

----------------------------------------------

S.Frost 12 335 1095 1237 2332 194.3

SCORING TD FGs Kick Rush Rcv Pass DXP Saf - Pts

A.Green 22 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0-0 0 0 - 132

K.Brown 0 18-21 62-62 0-0 0 0-0 0 0 - 116

S.Frost 19 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0-0 0 0 - 114

In their respective 1000/1000 seasons, Crouch actually averaged both more rushing yards and passing yards per game than Scott Frost did, and Crouch did it with those unsightly Solich recruits, to boot.

In their respective 1000/1000 seasons, Crouch actually averaged both more rushing yards and passing yards per game than Scott Frost did, and Crouch did it with those unsightly Solich recruits, to boot.

Frost had a better rush average than did Crouch. So that point is moot. If Frost had run the ball as much as Crouch his stats would be better.

You can compare stats all day and put one guy over the other, but I'd much rather have Frost or Crouch over Dailey and Lord. Both guys were awesome, Crouch did more with less, Frost did what he needed to do.