New formation

izzyhusker

The other day I was talking to my cousin about the huskers, and I came up with this idea for a formation that we could really have some fun with. A three man shotgun formation with Green, Helu/Burkhead, and Lee all side by side. One guy is the designated signal caller and reads the defense, Depending on how they read the defense is who the ball is snapped to and what play is run. We'd have so many possibilities with this type of formation, even if you didn't have Helu/Burkhead in the backfield, they could be more of a wing back or something. What does everyone think?

The other day I was talking to my cousin about the huskers, and I came up with this idea for a formation that we could really have some fun with. A three man shotgun formation with Green, Helu/Burkhead, and Lee all side by side. One guy is the designated signal caller and reads the defense, Depending on how they read the defense is who the ball is snapped to and what play is run. We'd have so many possibilities with this type of formation, even if you didn't have Helu/Burkhead in the backfield, they could be more of a wing back or something. What does everyone think?

Something tells me that anything like this would lead to even more false start penalties and/or fumbles. Let's keep it simple and do one thing well. Seems like our Offensive Line should run the same 10 plays over and over and over again until they figure out how to block. But hey, we won, so I should quite being so negative...

you could even do something like that with Green as a receiver. high risk, high reward. but there are a lot of possibilities with that. i always thought that that is how Vick should be utilized.

Here's my thought process, I understand we need to simplify the offense, but you could make this work, With Green you got a qb draw possibly, that would make the defense have to respect that, Lee would give us somewhat of a passing threat. If they crowd the line, then audible to a streaking Paul, if they play the pass heavy, go with a draw, The cool think about it, is you have Green who could throw the ball also and Helu still in the game. I just think it would make the defense have to think of so many possibilities. If anything it would be fun to watch.

you would be asking either Lee or Green to block in this formation on certain plays... just somethin to think about. I would put Green in the middle and Lee to the right of him and the RB on the left of Green. This way the option would be set up for green and if Lee got the snap he could roll out to the right which would be more comfortable naturally for him.

you would be asking either Lee or Green to block in this formation on certain plays... just somethin to think about. I would put Green in the middle and Lee to the right of him and the RB on the left of Green. This way the option would be set up for green and if Lee got the snap he could roll out to the right which would be more comfortable naturally for him.

Reminded me of Lee's run block last night. Good effort and really funny to see for some reason.

Since this formation only leaves the possibility of 3 receivers, most likely a TE and two WR's, the D would be able to put 8 in the box and running out of this formation would be difficult. Why would you want to turn your qb into a fullback essentially? Blocking is not good for the throwing arm. If you threw from this formation, you'd have two people to help protect the qb, but too few receivers to give the secondary trouble. This formation might have a trick play possibility in it, at best.

Anyone ever heard of the Wishbone? :)

What's being proposed here isn't too far from that offense. Here's a basic Wishbone:

Wishbone_Formation.png

We could axe one of the WR and put in a TE and have one hell of an option attack. But then that's not far off from the current Spread formation, which just uses one more WR instead of another RB:

Shotgun_Formation.png

Bottom line - any offense we choose will be fine if we have the right personnel and we execute it well.

I was just thinking the other day about a situation like this....

Maybe have green, lee, latravis, and spano all in at the same time. Can you imagine the fits you could give a defense with an offense like that?? Of course it would take some practice, but you could develop a lot with that. especially since green and latravis and apparently spano are such strong runners. haha quadruple option reverse pass. :dunno