Linebackers...do we need em?

I think that the style of linebacker will change a little bit. With the spread, we are going to need fast and quick linebackers that can play in space and run with recievers and running backs. But they also need to be physical enough to step up into the line and take on a lineman or running back in the back field.

I think that the style of linebacker will change a little bit. With the spread, we are going to need fast and quick linebackers that can play in space and run with recievers and running backs. But they also need to be physical enough to step up into the line and take on a lineman or running back in the back field.

So what style was it before? Fast and quick but not physical and strong? Or physical and strong but really slow? Or slow and weak? :dunno It just seems this is like saying a best of both worlds thing. For instance "we're going to go after quicker, more agile linemen now who are also really strong."

Actually I was wondering about this too. Since we use the Nickel more we'll have more speed on the field by virtue of having that extra defensive back. If the linebackers are primarily speed guys, isn't that almost like having more DBs? Would it make more sense to have more stout LBs who can play run support and make up for the lack of that 3rd LB in the Nickel?