QB keeper

n.e.husker

I touched on this in another thread.

There comes a point where taking the offense down too many notches becomes a bad thing. I, like many on this board, called for a vanilla offense that would let these players excel. It's now getting to the point where it appears that the coaches have no confidence in anything they can do other than run the same 10 plays all damn game.

Why, on 1st down in Colorado territory with a minute left in the first half, did Watson call a COMPLETELY predictable play action deep ball to Niles Paul? I saw the formation, I saw Paul start slow and then begin to make his cut, and the cornerback did as well. The thing was nearly picked off.

Watson, I know I said everything you were doing is too complicated and you needed to simplify things. But right now, you are showing about as much confidence in these kids as I would a group of 10 year olds playing football. Twice yesterday we had great success with two slant pattern passes to Niles Paul that were thrown beautifully, and then we didn't see them or anything else like it the rest of the game.

We won't beat Texas with that offense. OU was a lucky get with a Frosh QB, their huge TE weapon out, and a banged up o-line. The best offense and one of the better defenses is about to play us. It's time to throw ultra-conservative play calling into the wind and open things up more to get yards and get points.

The offense is the same one Osborne used against Kansas when he lost both qb and didn't trust Turman to throw the ball Phillips to the right and phillips to the left and up the middle.

The only difference is that Nebraska has it starters in now it's burkhead and Helu getting the ball. Watson is still using it's a young team after the 12th game as the reason his offense is struggling.

It's funny how there were two coaches(Watson, Cotton) being blamed for this terrible offense, but the O-LINE seems to make holes for the running game when they are relying on any offense.

The play call on 3rd and more then 10 yards is always the same. QB keeper.

I know our Offense hasnt shown it can do much this year, but come on. Show

some sort of confidense in them to go out and make a play, as opposed to

rolling over and punting.(i know Henerey is a great weapon)

Take a shot over the middle to Mcneil-it might work.

A slant and go to Paul, or a hitch n go.

I havent seen a pump fake from the qb all year. :dunno

Not sure how all of you feel, but we are about to go the CCG.

Lets show some life on Offense, even if it means taking a chance.

Defenses will never respect us(i know its hard to) unless we take more chances.

It could be the death of us, or it could take us to a different level confidense wise.

:snacks:

With our offense; we either learn to run the QB keeper, as a design play or broken play, or we will never get defenses to back off so our running game works. If the running game works, play action passing works. If the defense does not believe the QB keeper is an option, no go everywhere else.

If we can make the QB run work, Katie bar the gates! I keep holding out for Green to mature and run this offense like it is supposed to - RUN - RUN Baby RUN!!!

RiverRunner

I remember when fans would get absolutely irate when Solich would call the QB draw on 3rd and long. It was the ultimate sign of how hopeless our offense had become. The play call was basically giving up on the drive and making sure not to turn it over so we could punt it away. And that was when we had great running QBs like Crouch and Lord. Now we are doing the same thing with the offensive coach we brought in to make a threat to pass the ball downfield, and have a chance on 3rd and longs.

It's frustrating to watch, but with the kind of team we have, conservative play-calling gives us the best chance to win....that may not be true against a team like Texas, but I really think it has been true most of the season...

even against Texas...trying to picture what a close game or even Nebraska win might look like, I can't picture it involving Lee throwing for 200+ yds and several TDs...we take those kinds of chances on 3rd and long and I see Earl Thomas racking up INTs and Texas turning them into points

I think a close game looks like us scoring a couple defensive and/or special teams scores, holding Texas to FGs, and having a few successful drives running the football and the clock...

keeping in mind of course that if the score starts to get away 10-14+ points, all bets are off and we have to take some chances on offense

I remember when fans would get absolutely irate when Solich would call the QB draw on 3rd and long. It was the ultimate sign of how hopeless our offense had become. The play call was basically giving up on the drive and making sure not to turn it over so we could punt it away. And that was when we had great running QBs like Crouch and Lord. Now we are doing the same thing with the offensive coach we brought in to make a threat to pass the ball downfield, and have a chance on 3rd and longs.

Just a pet peeve of mine.....

Don't ever use Lord and great in the same sentence.

It's frustrating to watch, but with the kind of team we have, conservative play-calling gives us the best chance to win....that may not be true against a team like Texas, but I really think it has been true most of the season...

even against Texas...trying to picture what a close game or even Nebraska win might look like, I can't picture it involving Lee throwing for 200+ yds and several TDs...we take those kinds of chances on 3rd and long and I see Earl Thomas racking up INTs and Texas turning them into points

I think a close game looks like us scoring a couple defensive and/or special teams scores, holding Texas to FGs, and having a few successful drives running the football and the clock...

keeping in mind of course that if the score starts to get away 10-14+ points, all bets are off and we have to take some chances on offense

If we don't take some chances, and a lot of them-we quietly accept our 42-10 beatdown and move on to the Holiday bowl.

I think the bottom line is Watson is playing to win, even if that win is ugly as sin. If you're willing to believe that, then it is pretty clear he will do whatever becomes necessary in the Texas game to give us a chance to win. More than likely that means not being so conservative since our defense won't always be able to stop Texas.

You go with what you have. I look for Watson to call a ton of run plays, mix in a pass from time to time and hope to keep the Texas offense on the side lines, as much as possible. Henery is going to have a sore leg from punting or kicking a lot of field goals. This game should be great for recruiting defensive players.....

GBR!!!