Bold and Intersting Article

Big 12 powers that be will serve up 13-0 Longhorns to BCS Title game

BY ANDY PURVIS | Huskers Gameday Correspondent

Take the title for what it is worth.

Honestly, I don’t know why we are bothering to play the Big 12 title game next Saturday night.

The outcome is a foregone conclusion, regardless of what sort of chance Nebraska may or may not actually have on the playing field when they face the Longhorns.

What makes me say this?

Reference an earlier article of mine, “Big 12 Office: Offensive linemen holding is ignored by Big 12 referees.”

The University of Texas with its big money, deep pocket donors runs and owns the Big 12 conference and when they don’t get their way or something doesn’t work out, like the 2008 BCS title game, they whine like a small child.

This is the sort of spoiled child behavior that we can trace all the way back to before the inception of the Big 12 conference.

When it came to policy making, establishing rules and guidelines for the conference, if the University of Texas didn’t get their way on every vote, they threatened to take their ball (all the TV viewers and dollars) and leave.

Remind me. What team needed a conference to join and who are they to dictate or make demands?

Tom Osborne was right about these people.

So, how does this relate to the outcome of the Big 12 title game?

Back to last year.

Remember how upset and angry the University of Texas and its fans were over missing the BCS title game in 2008?

Well, the Big 12 office will be all too happy to acquiesce to the Longhorns and serve up an undefeated Big 12 team to the BCS title game.

And it’s not just about getting Texas back to the BCS Title game. This is about the Big 12 wanting to keep the conferences highest profile university with the golden boy quarterback in the national spotlight.

It’s about keeping the University of Texas in the national championship picture and Colt McCoy in the Heisman race.

It’s about the money that goes into the Big 12 coffers and the prestige of having its most high-profile team competing for the national championship.

How can the Big 12 office get this accomplished within the normal constraints of a supposedly fair football game?

Well, back to my earlier article.

You think the holding that you have witnessed Big 12 referees ignore for many years in offensive lines like Texas is something?

You haven’t seen nothing yet.

With the University of Texas having a shot at the BCS title game being led by a quarterback in the midst of a tight Heisman Trophy race.

Just watch.

The Texas offensive line will be able to wrangle, strangle, and go WWE on the Nebraska defensive line all night long without penalty.

Oh, and if a Nebraska defender does happen to make contact with Golden Boy, out will come a personal foul flag.

Golden Boy McCoy and his Heisman race will be protected by the Big 12 office and its team of officials. They won’t let a big, bad Cornhusker defensive line get in the way of McCoy, his Heisman, or the University of Texas getting to the BCS Title game.

What was a one step rule after the quarterback throws the ball, will suddenly be enforced to the degree that the Nebraska defense can hardly touch McCoy without drawing a personal foul flag for roughing the passer.

Those type of penalties are so big because they extend drives with 15 yards and a first down. They are usually back breakers. There will be a time or two, or more, when McCoy is hit in what looks like a legal manner or barely touched, and out will come a flag.

I have seen it numerous times this year and Nebraska wasn’t playing an undefeated team and Heisman candidate quarterback.

It will happen. Count on it, and don’t count on a Nebraska victory.

^^^I think it is very pessimistic, but it does raise some serious questions. I guarantee there will be at least 2 unwarranted flags thrown on late hits on McCoy. And our DLINE has been held all year, and I don't see that getting any better on Saturday.

I still think if we can put together a game plan like we had against VTECH this year and TECH last year that we have a shot. Obviously we would need to finish unlike we did in those two games. We are due for a big upset like this one could be.

Every D Line from every Big XII school has been held without calls this year. It's happening all over the conference, not just against Nebraska.

Very true, knapplc. However, Nebraska has by far the best DL in the conference, in theory we should draw more holding calls against our opponent right?

This has been pissing me off all season. How great could this defense have been if the holding calls were made, especially against Texas Tech.

Anyway, I digress....

I agree, and I was the one who posted the stat that Texas Tech and Oklahoma had combined for like 93 pass attempts against Nebraska this year and there wasn't a single holding call.

One would think that, with that many pass attempts, there could be at least one holding call made, but there wasn't. Not one.

That is astounding.

Buffs - is it whining in the face of the bold part of my post? Really?

All this may be true, but most of what you said about the Big 12 pandering to Texas could also be said about the SEC and Florida. Somewhere along the line, Conferences seem to morphed from being an administrator and coordinator of conference athletic teams, schedules and officiating to becoming conference member cheerleader and advocate extraordinaire, especially for those schools that have the best chance for national recognition.

To me, it seems a perversion of the original conference mission (and true mission, I believe), but, well, there you go. It is what it is. If a conference needs to break a few member school eggs to make a conference omelet, several (including the Big 12 and the SEC) do so without hesitation or apology. Just be thankful Nebraska isn't Arkansas.

I am surprised someone didn't talk him out of publishing that, the game hasn't even been played yet and he is whining like a little kid.

I was surprised too, and on huskersgameday.com???

I hope that they call 5 holding calls and don't through the flag 2 or 3 times for a late hit on McToy when it could go either way. I would love to see his face after THAT game.

I agree, and I was the one who posted the stat that Texas Tech and Oklahoma had combined for like 93 pass attempts against Nebraska this year and there wasn't a single holding call.

One would think that, with that many pass attempts, there could be at least one holding call made, but there wasn't. Not one.

That is astounding.

For me to comment on games that I did not get to watch would be innappropriate, but I will take your word that there was blatant holding going on and it was not called in those games. From watching my own team this season, I can assure you that our offensive line was heavily penalized all season long. I take issue with an article making excuses days before the game, let's see how it gets played out before articles are written accusing the conference officials of cheating.

That is astounding.

Oh, I know you agree, and I guess I was agreeing with your earlier post that you referenced that I remembered. Wow, that was a mouthful now wasn't it?

I had forgotten about OU because we managed a win, but TTU really pisses me off. I know of at least twice where Crick was grabbed across his body, with a jersey pulled so far it was about to tear in half, that would have been a sack on Sticks.

I am in total agreeance with you on the fact that this could happen. I hope it doesn't, but you are totally right. I am calling for a Husker upset, but if that happens, who really wants to see Alabama or Florida play against TCU or Cincy in the National Championship game. Could either of them give a good performance? Sure. They could also go out there and get 50 points hung on them and shut out and embarrassed too. That is why they will try to get Texas in there and hopefully beat Alabama or Florida, and shut the SEC up.

I am in total agreeance with you on the fact that this could happen. I hope it doesn't, but you are totally right. I am calling for a Husker upset, but if that happens, who really wants to see Alabama or Florida play against TCU or Cincy in the National Championship game. Could either of them give a good performance? Sure. They could also go out there and get 50 points hung on them and shut out and embarrassed too. That is why they will try to get Texas in there and hopefully beat Alabama or Florida, and shut the SEC up.

I would love to see TCU or Cincy play in the ship. Especially TCU because i grew up in DFW and went to numerous horny frog games. Of course I would love a husker upset, but I would also love to see a non BSC team in the big game, because it might finally be the explanation point on the declaration for a playoff system.

I used to think a playoff was too much, but especially if we find a way to beat Texas, i will officially jump on the NCAA top 10 or 25 playoff bandwagon.

I like the Tulsa article where the guy mentions that if Texas wins, the Big 12 loses money. But if Nebraska wins, we keep $4.5 million dollars by sending two teams to BCS games.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/arti...B1_MTVTOO383166

I mean if the referees are going to be paid off in this game, its probably going to be in our favor, because they want more money.

That's a very interesting article as well. I'm totally against biased officiating, but as you said, if the B12 refs are trying to bring in money, this would be the game to call on our side.

I checked on a few statistics:

#of Penalites:

ISU 63

Mizzou 69

KU 72

Texas 79

KSU 84

NU 86

CU 107

Touche Buffs, but could you break that down into holding calls?

For me to comment on games that I did not get to watch would be innappropriate, but I will take your word that there was blatant holding going on and it was not called in those games. From watching my own team this season, I can assure you that our offensive line was heavily penalized all season long. I take issue with an article making excuses days before the game, let's see how it gets played out before articles are written accusing the conference officials of cheating.

I get what you're saying. Perhaps a better way to read the article is to see it as venting for a season's worth of non-calls, especially when many of the holds were so blatant. But again, to be fair, I saw holding in every Big XII game I watched this year, and it wasn't called more than it was called.