Bye Bye Watson

No, Cotton has to go. Did you see the way our O-line was knocked backwards so far on EVERY single play? No technique, no discipline. Football is won and lost in the trenches. Our O just never stood a chance with this line. EVERY play we made was a rare effort.

With that kind of a handicap, along with a QB who we all know couldn't be counted on to make plays, what do you want Watson to call? His hands were tied and he tried to make the most of it.

Let's face it, Texas is the best D by far that we've faced this year, and it showed. Lucky for us Zac's picks came mostly on bombs that were as good as punts.

Does anyone on this board still believe Watson is the answer for our offense? I would be really interested to hear one of his supporters explain his playcalling tonight, especially the lack of passes all night long.

Texas D + poor QB play = piss poor performance. Ganz would have won this game for us....

If Nebraska had a f#*k fart of an offense, we beat these clowns by 20. Pathetic.

I have wanted him gone all season. I am not backing off of that now and I am about as calm as I have ever been following a loss like this. The loss and all the other losses this year fall sqarely on the offense's shoulders. I refuse to believe that our senior losses were enough to cause what we have seen out of this unit this year. Absolutely pathetic. I live in Wisconsin and had a couple Badger fans over to watch the game and they said they have never seen anything as bad as our offense. Burkhead and Helu are great. Our Tightends are fine, although you wouldn't know it since I don't remember them getting thrown to more than once(and that was on that old reliable roll out to the right and complete a 3 yard pass play). Our offensive line is pathetic. At the very least Cotton needs to go, but I feel that our receivers and offense as a whole are just not coached well.

Yeah.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the offense at all. And that's obviously not the kind of expectation that I want to be having.

I haven't really been calling for his firing, but, after tonight, I think it is pretty clear that we need to make some changes on the offensive side of the ball.

It's like a beautiful, beautiful woman, all done up and ready for a nice night out (our defense) showing up to a very nice event (or a championship game...) with a drunk, raggedy-assed loser who doesn't know how to treat a woman. It's just not right.

The amount of of work put into the coaching doesn't seem balanced at all. Yes, Texas has a good defense, but, I just don't see the same care or sense of well-coached-ness that I see on the defensive side, and it is really standing out now.

That said, damn our defense was good.

:bonez

I might be turning this into rumorville, but, Bo was extraordinarily grumpy in the post game interview tonight. Talked about the great effort and such and gave credit where credit is due, but was quickand to the point. Just a wonder if maybe he intends on handing out a pink slip or three tommorrow. With the heart of the recruiting season upon us, any changes going to be made, have to be made tommorrow. Personally, I've been a semiwatsoncotton supporter all year, but this tonight was the nail in the coffin. Do you realize 20 points in every game this year has us at 12-1 and Big 12 champs right now, and with a "decent" offense who knows what happens in the Tech game. :espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks::espnsucks:

I just do that cuz they do. Still no credit for Nebraska tonight Mark May> "eh, Texas found a way"

If Nebraska had a f#*k fart of an offense, we beat these clowns by 20. Pathetic.

I have wanted him gone all season. I am not backing off of that now and I am about as calm as I have ever been following a loss like this. The loss and all the other losses this year fall sqarely on the offense's shoulders. I refuse to believe that our senior losses were enough to cause what we have seen out of this unit this year. Absolutely pathetic. I live in Wisconsin and had a couple Badger fans over to watch the game and they said they have never seen anything as bad as our offense. Burkhead and Helu are great. Our Tightends are fine, although you wouldn't know it since I don't remember them getting thrown to more than once(and that was on that old reliable roll out to the right and complete a 3 yard pass play). Our offensive line is pathetic. At the very least Cotton needs to go, but I feel that our receivers and offense as a whole are just not coached well.

Yeah.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the offense at all. And that's obviously not the kind of expectation that I want to be having.

I haven't really been calling for his firing, but, after tonight, I think it is pretty clear that we need to make some changes on the offensive side of the ball.

It's like a beautiful, beautiful woman, all done up and ready for a nice night out (our defense) showing up to a very nice event (or a championship game...) with a drunk, raggedy-assed loser who doesn't know how to treat a woman. It's just not right.

The amount of of work put into the coaching doesn't seem balanced at all. Yes, Texas has a good defense, but, I just don't see the same care or sense of well-coached-ness that I see on the defensive side, and it is really standing out now.

That said, damn our defense was good.

:bonez

Ok...Wats needs to go. I'm an Ops manager and have been in several companies with success or failure coming back to me. I'd be fired this year if the performance of "my" employees would have matched what "Wats" has done.

I've coached pop warner and that by no means makes me a college coach, but performance in your job is something that is familiar to me.

Fail....

Now we are going to get all these :facepalm: guys showing up if we bitch about Zach Lee. Without a doubt there are other problems with the offense but without a doubt the poorest offensive player on the field is Zach Lee. We all had visions of Green showing up and being the qb of our dreams but evidently that is not true. Colorado may have better qb's than the Huskers. I do know one thing. Zach Lee wouldn't even be the starting qb at UNK or UNO. In fact probabaly not even at Howells! Pathetic. And evidently thats the best we have?

I think I'm resigned to the fact that Cotton is here for the long haul. Do we REALLY want that man becoming the OC? For that matter, with him as OL coach, just WHAT can an offensive coordinator do?

We went up against one of the nation's best D's tonight with a shaky QB who has never been a playmaker against real competition, terrible O-line and receiver play. Probably what was to be expected.

As for the media, I wouldn't worry about them, guys. Of course a Texas victory is going to be framed this way! There is nothing wrong with that. They are going to play for the title and there's no other way to look at this game. They did what they had to when they needed it and pulled out the win. Wins are ALWAYS earned.

for the record i've never liked watson. i was p.o.'d when bo kept him here. he may be a smart offensive mind, but it will never work for nebraska football. we simply can't recruit the type of players to make it possible. when you can't learn the playbook until your junior season, then you need top recruiting classes every single year to have any offensive production. we need an alabama style of offense and thats final

Look at all the new players who are making impact, especially at skill positions. Kinnie, who's in his first year along with Burkhead and Tray and Bell. Khiry Cooper, RFr. Ben Cotton, Kyler Reed, RFr. A ton of young guys are seeing time on offense, and some linemen would too if they weren't injured and redshirting.

The whole learning playbook thing really comes down to the QB, and if you really want to get down to it: in what offense does it NOT take exceptional mastery by the point man, your Quarterback, to succeed? The QB is so critical to the offense and when we get a good one, whether he's a 5th year senior (Ganz) or fresh out of spring ball (Zac Taylor), things are rolling. When we have less to work with, things don't roll. That's how it goes with any program.

Don't forget: we had one QB transfer and we lost another to an ACL injury this offseason.

Nebraska is one of the premier names in college football. This isn't a cellar-dweller school with low expectations. As such, one can expect a certain level of performance and competence from its players and its coaches. A totally-inept offense falls entirely on the coaching staff. Why not the players? I'll tell you why: The coaching staff recruits those players as well as coaches them. These are their players that they recruited and selected for their system. Their players are only playing to the level of coaching that they received (see Defense).

Anyone who thinks that it is tolerable for Nebraska's offense to be the laughingstock of Division I football for even ONE year does not know the expectations for championship football. If this defense was not what it was, we might have lost ALL of our Big 12 games this year. You can thank the Pelini brothers' defensive genius for saving this season for us.

For those of you that think Watson's or any other offensive coach's job is safe after this season's performances, you're completely naive. High-level people are going to have to fall on their swords after this season ends. These types of offensive performances are absolutely inexcusable at Nebraska or any other Division I school for that matter. A poor performance here and there can be tolerated, but it is absolutely inexcusable for the offense to play like this through virtually all of our conference schedule. This is a big business--not HS football. People don't get second and third chances.

If our offense would have even been "competent" this year, we would be playing in a BCS bowl right now, either after beating Texas or as an at-large selection. We might even be playing for a national championship. Don't you think Bo is thinking that very same thing? Hmm.....what to do....what to do.....