A worrying thought...

Why is CG all of the sudden an instant "threat"? I am sorry, have not seen enough to him be a "threat" everytime he is on the field. If he was such a threat he would be starting QB and he is not, this is going to be a long off season after the bowl game. <_<dedhoarse

C'mon, the kid ran the spread in high school, lots of zone read. He is for a fact...bigger and faster than Zac Lee. I don't think I'm going too far out on a branch saying he is a threat to run the ball vs. Zac Lee. Do you really think Lee would've pushed the ball even a yard on those sneaks down near our end of the goal line? I'm afraid Lee is going to get broken in half everytime he runs the ball. He never delivers a hit on a run, just takes a big one.

Why is CG all of the sudden an instant "threat"? I am sorry, have not seen enough to him be a "threat" everytime he is on the field. If he was such a threat he would be starting QB and he is not, this is going to be a long off season after the bowl game. <_<dedhoarse

:yeah Totally agree...and when he has played, he hasn't burned the barn down either, so it is real easy to speculate how "great" Green is, but when it comes down to it, so far I haven't seen anything that says he is the next Eric Crouch or Tommy Frazier. I say don't rush him, let him develop.

Coaches know who gives the team a best chance to win, and since Lee was starting he obviously gave the team the best chance. NOT a good sign for Green. I know he can develop but usually the very good players start at a baseline a little higher than the QB play has been for the 'skers all year.

Quite correct. Lee is not a D1 QB. If a true freshman had any potential at all he would have passed up Lee by now. Not a good sign for Green or NU.

Let's be honest husker fans, we all trust the Pelinis, we trust them because frankly they're the sh*t. Bo knows what's good for Nebraska.

That being said, my mom (Biggest husker fan I know) and I were discussing the game this afternoon and she brought up a worrying thought..."How bad must Cody Green be if we continue going back to Zac Lee?"

Now that got me thinking, obviously we in red are clamoring for SOMETHING...ANYTHING to give our offense, well, ANY sort of hope, and that starts with the QB, so we've been calling for Cody. But if it's true that we trust Bo to know what he's doing, and if it's true that everyone, Pelini included, realizes how poorly Zac is playing out there (Along with the rest of the offense, granted) then shouldn't it logically follow that Zac is the lesser of the two evils we have for QB?

Now, I'm not talking smack about Cody, frankly, we haven't seen him play enough to get any kind of idea how good (Or bad) he really is. But it's an intersting thought, and frankly, a scary one, that Zac might really be the best we have, or else you'd figure that he'd be gone already...

Thoughts?

(FYI - This is merely an academic question, so if you're p*ssed about it...get over it, lol)

I've been having the very same thoughts.

We would be saying the same thing if Ganz had to play behind this line this year... <_< We all saw during the Sun Belt teams that when Zac is given time he hits receivers pretty well for big gains when they "do" catch the ball. Some of the worst QB's look better when they have time to stay in the pocket and let the play progress. I want the best QB to play and right now it is Zac, but our line is not helping anyone in this battle.

could you go into that a little more? I assume you are talking about the O-coaches.

Well, one of our defensive coaches has the same problem. It took no rocket scientist to figure out West and Thorell were liabilities, but yet they routinely played for over a year when guys like Amukamara (last year), Dennard (last year and part of this year), and Gomes (part of this year) warmed the bench for these guys.

I talked about it last year when people kept mentioning how much better Prince and Alfonzo looked than our other corners, but they were confused on why they did not play. Prince finally got his chance and has not looked back. Dennard had to wait until West looked like dog meat, again, before finally getting his chance.

And Gomes - there were players who would tell others how good that kid was all the time, but he kept getting stuck behind Thorell. He finally got his chance and did anyone notice how much better our pass D got?

But on O, there are guys who just stick with what they know. Gilmore is blatantly obvious with his routine over the years and I've talked about that.

Cotton is beginning to be the same. I've heard Sirles being super impressive, even as a freshman, while we have guys like DJ Jones getting routinely beat. I know people will talk about a RS, but the future is only now. We had a chance for a BCS game, so a RS should have been the least of our worries.

Or you could talk about not benching his favorite player ever in Henry. That kid will make one awesome play, but follow it up with some of the biggest boneheaded plays you can imagine, but never gets to rest on the pine. All the while you have a guy like Hickman who can play G and a very good player like Caputo who can step right in.

The Spano comment is just frustration on my part. I don't know it will happen with the kid never getting a legit shot, but coaches on our staff have a habit of not giving the unknown a chance until they are just absolutely forced to. And to me, that is frustrating when you see people in front of others just stinking up the joint.

could you go into that a little more? I assume you are talking about the O-coaches.

Well, one of our defensive coaches has the same problem. It took no rocket scientist to figure out West and Thorell were liabilities, but yet they routinely played for over a year when guys like Amukamara (last year), Dennard (last year and part of this year), and Gomes (part of this year) warmed the bench for these guys.

I talked about it last year when people kept mentioning how much better Prince and Alfonzo looked than our other corners, but they were confused on why they did not play. Prince finally got his chance and has not looked back. Dennard had to wait until West looked like dog meat, again, before finally getting his chance.

And Gomes - there were players who would tell others how good that kid was all the time, but he kept getting stuck behind Thorell. He finally got his chance and did anyone notice how much better our pass D got?

But on O, there are guys who just stick with what they know. Gilmore is blatantly obvious with his routine over the years and I've talked about that.

Cotton is beginning to be the same. I've heard Sirles being super impressive, even as a freshman, while we have guys like DJ Jones getting routinely beat. I know people will talk about a RS, but the future is only now. We had a chance for a BCS game, so a RS should have been the least of our worries.

Or you could talk about not benching his favorite player ever in Henry. That kid will make one awesome play, but follow it up with some of the biggest boneheaded plays you can imagine, but never gets to rest on the pine. All the while you have a guy like Hickman who can play G and a very good player like Caputo who can step right in.

The Spano comment is just frustration on my part. I don't know it will happen with the kid never getting a legit shot, but coaches on our staff have a habit of not giving the unknown a chance until they are just absolutely forced to. And to me, that is frustrating when you see people in front of others just stinking up the joint.

The offensive strategy and personnel issues are baffling. It has gotten so bad now that it can't even handle the menial task of not turning the damn ball over. My thing with Gilmore, though, isn't that he won't put different guys in to play at all (he doesn't seem to mind benching his starters), but I don't see receivers getting better under him. This years sorry bunch would have made Tom Brady look like a schmo. The reciprocal sucktitude of the QB to WR positions is truly one of the sadder things I've seen while watching Nebraska football.

Green is a freshman, for heaven's sake. There's no way to even speculate on the quarterback he could become. But with the line play, no force on heaven or earth could make the offense click.

i agree, think if joe ganz was thrown into the situations as a TRUE freshman....??? we would have shunned him and he never would have grown to the great player he was last year! give green some time to develop and learn the system, he will be a great qb for us in good time...patience husker fans.

The offensive strategy and personnel issues are baffling. It has gotten so bad now that it can't even handle the menial task of not turning the damn ball over. My thing with Gilmore, though, isn't that he won't put different guys in to play at all (he doesn't seem to mind benching his starters), but I don't see receivers getting better under him. This years sorry bunch would have made Tom Brady look like a schmo. The reciprocal sucktitude of the QB to WR positions is truly one of the sadder things I've seen while watching Nebraska football.

That's another issue I talked about a few weeks back. The only WR I can think of that progressed tremendously under Gilmore would be Peterson. But Peterson could snatch a gnat flying at light speed out of the air, so I don't know how much credit to give Gilmore for that one.

But Gilmore has not benched starters over the years. If you want to know Niles' biggest problem earlier this season, it was he was lazy because he was not scared at all of losing his job. That goes back to favoritism. Not until Bo himself said enough was enough did Niles get sent to the bench to show him that his job was not safe.

You also have guys like Meno and Curenski who are playing over Brooks (who IS our best WR), Cooper and Kinnie .. it's just never ending.

This isn't even counting how horrid of a RC that Gilmore has been. If nothing else, that title HAS to be taken away from him and given to another coach.

This is such a ridiculous topic. When we are backed up at our own 1 yard line of course ANY qb is going to have trouble moving the chains. How many chances did Green get? He got one series and that series came to end not because it was his fault, it was because we can't do crap on offense under pressure. You should ask "I wonder when Green is actually going to get more than 5 minutes to lead the offense in a situation that is reasonable". Then if you want to say I wonder how bad he is, say it. He is just as capable as Lee and I was kind of annoyed that he wasn't getting a legit chance on a drive.

Really? Green ran two QB sneaks deep near the endzone, then almost threw a pick at the 15. That wasn't what Wats and Bo were looking for.

Cody Green might end up being a wonderful QB but at this time I'd rather see Latravis get some snaps than Cody he needs a year to redshirt and give the game a chance to slow down for him,As bad as Zac has looked at times hes basicly managed the games well and done what the coachs have asked him to do..... I understand everyone wants to see Cody get some playing time but imo hes not ready by a longshot,you might not like it but Zacs the best we have right now