Watson's Big 12 Stats from 2000-2009

Bradr

From Omaha.com

Since 2000, Watson has been an offensive coordinator nine seasons in the Big 12.

At Colorado (2000 to ’05), and at Nebraska (2007 to ’09).

His standing in the Big 12 offensive rankings:

• year: total offense, scoring offense

• ’00: 8th, 10th

• ’01: 2nd, 4th

• ’02: 9th, 9th

• ’03: 9th, 8th

• ’04: 9th, 9th

• ’05: 8th, 9th

• ’07: 5th, 8th

• ’08: 6th, 6th

• ’09: 11th, 8th

and...

Against three top-20 foes in 2009, Nebraska’s offense scored one total touchdown — on a 1-yard drive on Oklahoma set up by an interception.

Ouch. I have been one of those "give him another year, he didn't become a crappy O coordinator overnight" guys, but this is kinda eye-opening. I know the conference has had some good offenses recently, but wow.

I was actually going to put together some stats about Watson offenses until I started noticing his offenses he's coached really weren't that strong. Kinda makes me wonder. Having said that though, I am willing to give him one more year. This year we lost a lot of good players either to graduation or to injury. If after next year there is absolutely no improvement then I'll jump on the "Can Him!" bandwagon.

I'm not so warm hearted as HuskerfaninOkieland. I think he needs to go after the end of this season. Hire a new and talented O.C. Preferably a snubbed former head coach or offensive minded genius.

I am going to be really angry, pissed off, dejected, if I have to sit through another season with a National Championship Caliber defense and an offense that plays like the last place offense in the MAC.

I just had a brainfart moment.

I saw those rankings and thought "holy crap Watson has had a top 10ish offense every year? Maybe he's better than I thought?!" until I realized that, as the title clearly states, those are Big XII rankings.

That makes much more sense. Ouch indeed.

Oof. I didn't realize that he'd been so consistently mediocre to bad. I guess I thought our offense last year was better than average. I'm convinced that we need a change. That said, I worry about losing some offensive recruits (Tyler Gabbert for one) if Watson is fired. I suppose the short term loss of a few recruits outweighs the long term mediocrity that is apparently the hallmark of Watson's offense.

These numbers are a little alarming especially while he was at Colorado but if you compare the 2008 and 2009 seasons, it does seem to lend some credence to the idea that attrition and injury really hurt this team offensively moreso than fans may have thought

These are National Rankings by the way coming straight off the NCAA's website. Feel free to check for accuracy

NCAA Stats

**I did some editing to add the in years Jay Norvell was here**

Colorado:

Total Offense: 66

Scoring Offense: 77

Total Offense: 20

Scoring Offense: 21

Total Offense: 58

Scoring Offense: 51

Total Offense: 66

Scoring Offense: 63

Total Offense: 85

Scoring Offense: 81

Total Offense: 87

Scoring Offense: 78

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 69

Scoring Offense: 58

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 96

Scoring Offense: 67

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 14

Scoring Offense: 17

Total Offense: 9

Scoring Offense: 28

Total Offense: 12

Scoring Offense: 17

Total Offense: 102

Scoring Offense: 80

Ouch. I have been one of those "give him another year, he didn't become a crappy O coordinator overnight" guys, but this is kinda eye-opening. I know the conference has had some good offenses recently, but wow.

I was actually going to put together some stats about Watson offenses until I started noticing his offenses he's coached really weren't that strong. Kinda makes me wonder. Having said that though, I am willing to give him one more year. This year we lost a lot of good players either to graduation or to injury. If after next year there is absolutely no improvement then I'll jump on the "Can Him!" bandwagon.

To your point about losing alot of players this year, why not give the new OC a fighting chance to have a decent transition with some "experienced" players...