Watson's Big 12 Stats from 2000-2009

Bradr

These numbers are a little alarming especially while he was at Colorado but if you compare the 2008 and 2009 seasons, it does seem to lend some credence to the idea that attrition and injury really hurt this team offensively moreso than fans may have thought

These are National Rankings by the way coming straight off the NCAA's website. Feel free to check for accuracy

NCAA Stats

**I did some editing to add the in years Jay Norvell was here**

Colorado:

Total Offense: 66

Scoring Offense: 77

Total Offense: 20

Scoring Offense: 21

Total Offense: 58

Scoring Offense: 51

Scoring Offense: 63

Total Offense: 85

Scoring Offense: 81

Total Offense: 87

Scoring Offense: 78

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 69

Scoring Offense: 58

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 96

Scoring Offense: 67

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

Total Offense: 14

Scoring Offense: 17

Total Offense: 9

Scoring Offense: 28

Total Offense: 12

Total Offense: 102

Scoring Offense: 80

I also did some checking here and this lends credence to Watson being able to tailor his offenses to the personnel he has.

Colorado's roster looked like a revolving door with transfers, career ending injuries, and defections to the NFL.

Pass Heavy Attack (True Frosh. Houston season ending injury after 3 games/66 carries for 332 yards)

Rushing Offense: 82 122.0(RB Houston, Johnson, Purify)

Passing Offense: 32 240.0(QB Passavento - WR Javon Green, WR Minardi, Hallowell, TE Graham)

Balanced Attack

Rushing Offense: 8 225.5 (RB's C. Brown, Purify, Johnson)

Passing Offense: 70 205.92 (QB Passavento - TE Graham, WR Minardi) *Green Graduated, Houston Transfer to Colorado. St. before season

Rush Heavy (Untested QB)

Rushing Offense: 9 232.79 (RB's C. Brown, Purify, Calhoun) *Brown led Big XII Rushing

Passing Offense: 106 141.71 (QB Robert Hodge, TE Graham, WR McCoy) *Passavento, Minardi, Johnson Graduated

Pass Heavy (out of necessity after Purify is injured 3rd game of the season)

Rushing Offense: 113 93.5 (RB Purify, Calhoun) *Brown declared early NFL before season, Purify season ending injury

Passing Offense: 18 279.35 (QB Klatt, WR Hackett, McCoy, Bloom, TE Klopfenstein)

Pass Heavy

Rushing Offense: 89 124.77 (RB Purify, Vickers) *Calhoun Graduated

Passing Offense: 56 215.00 (QB Klatt, WR Judge, TE Klopfenstein) *(Hackett, McCoy - Grad.) (Bloom declared early NFL before season because of ineligibility)

Pass Heavy (Off field distractions NCAA violations)

Rushing Offense: 97 110.31 (RB Hugh, Vickers)

Passing Offense: 59 222.77 (QB Klatt, WR Judge, Sprague, TE Klopfenstein, Sypniewski

From Omaha.com

Since 2000, Watson has been an offensive coordinator nine seasons in the Big 12.

At Colorado (2000 to ’05), and at Nebraska (2007 to ’09).

His standing in the Big 12 offensive rankings:

• year: total offense, scoring offense

• ’00: 8th, 10th

• ’01: 2nd, 4th

• ’02: 9th, 9th

• ’03: 9th, 8th

• ’04: 9th, 9th

• ’05: 8th, 9th

• ’07: 5th, 8th

• ’08: 6th, 6th

• ’09: 11th, 8th

and...

Against three top-20 foes in 2009, Nebraska’s offense scored one total touchdown — on a 1-yard drive on Oklahoma set up by an interception.

Apparently, he is thoroughly and consistently average Big 12 Offense Coordinator. He would probably be a good upgrade for Baylor. :sarcasm

These numbers are a little alarming especially while he was at Colorado but if you compare the 2008 and 2009 seasons, it does seem to lend some credence to the idea that attrition and injury really hurt this team offensively moreso than fans may have thought

These are National Rankings by the way coming straight off the NCAA's website. Feel free to check for accuracy

NCAA Stats

Colorado:

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

Let's be honest with ourselves here, and I know I've said it 100 times, but all of your Jay Norvell years and 2007 for Watson are terrible examples.

Bill Callahan was NU's offensive coordinator. The other two just had the title.

NCAA Stats

Colorado:

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

Let's be honest with ourselves here, and I know I've said it 100 times, but all of your Jay Norvell years and 2007 for Watson are terrible examples.

True but that doesn't explain 2007 and 2008 though

NCAA Stats

Colorado:

Nebraska:

2004 (Jay Norvell OC)

2005 (Jay Norvell OC)

2006 (Jay Norvell OC)

True but that doesn't explain 2007 and 2008 though

Yes it does 2007. Watson did not call plays, he coached QBs and had the title Offensive Coordinator. He didn't call plays until Pelini. I think one half of one game in '07 he did and then Callahan took it back.

Look at '08 and '09 at NU and CU years:

Average Total Offense: 62nd, 374 ypg

Average Scoring Offense: 59th, 27.2 ppg

Not only that, the only two years out of 8 an offense he leads and calls plays for scored more than 30 ppg were last year and '01 at CU. This guy's reputation is much higher than his numbers back up. When you factor in the cupcake games at the beginning of each season, I would say this season is more the norm for Watson not the exception many thought. Last year was the abberration.

Sorry Watson, 374 ypg and 27 points isn't good enough for Nebraska.

• 3 months later...

I don't mean to just shovel poop.jpg on Wats for no reason, but I do think these stats are really important to keep in mind for anyone that wants to be a fair judge on his career production in the Big 12 (too many people just look at the most recent game). In ten full seasons, his offenses have produced only one really good year (2001), two decent years (2007 and 2008) and seven mediocre to poor years. People adjust and grow, and therefore I hold out a little hope that he will find the spark of innovation to lift our offense to something special this year and/or years to come, but I'm extremely doubtful based on these numbers.

Here are my issues with Wats.

1) It generally has seemed that it takes 3 to 4 years for guys to see significant playing time in his offense, and this is frustrating to me. Rex Burkhead was a nice exception, though.

2) He'll have one good year or one better than average year, and then he'll slip. Nebraska won't be a consistent force in the nation with an offense that can't be at least semi-consistent from year to year, no matter how good the defense is. And, consistency doesn't mean consistently falling in the 8th place and 9th place of Big 12 offensive production each year. He needs to be in the Top 4 each year.

3) I never see the same physicality on offense that I do on defense. Most of the guys just don't have that motor that you need to be successful. Ricky Henry is a clear exception, but it just doesn't make sense why our guys can't be as physical or as consistent as they need to be.

I will give him this though. If we could have combined the 2009 defense with the 2008 offense, Nebraska is a BCS bowl contender and possibly a national title contender. Things just haven't fallen in to place yet.

I will also say this. If Nebraska stays in the bottom half of the Big 12 in offense again this year AND we have performances like we saw in 2009, I don't see much reason in keeping him. If he can't get the offense rolling in year three of Pelini then he just doesn't seem like the right fit.

I would say his job is on the line this year, if he don't have an offense that produces. I think if the O-line looks like they did last year, Cotton will be gone. Last years O-line spent more time on their butts than they did on their feet, and would be in competition as one of Nebraska's worst in the last 40 years.

Disclaimer: Not the biggest SW fan here, but numbers can be deceiving...

All I really care about are his stats at NU. 2007 was the Keller-Callahan romance, if we had a competent coach in 07, Ganz would have been QB and the offense probably would have been better, maybe not by a lot, but better. In 2008, we may have been 6th in the Big12, but the five teams ahead of all were all in the top 10. Nebraska's offense was 12th nationally that year. This year though, I have no explanation, but the QB situation didn't help him.

If he can repeat the Holiday bowl 14 times in 2010 I'll be happy, but otherwise...these numbers don't lie

How did this thread even get bunnped. How did this threall thought all the watson bashing had calmed down. And to contradict gmoose those numbers do lie. The auther clearly only put up the big 12 numbers to make wats look bad/over rated. The fact of the matter is he was number 12 in the nation then he lost his 2 best qbs, 2 best rbs, two best wrs, and his two best linemen so yes any time that happens there will be a very large drop off.

Personally I think he had the luxury (and luck) that Joe Ganz stepped up the way he did while he was the starter here. Those stats say a lot but mostly I just look at some of the decisions he made last year and the direction that he tried to take our offense. So many things that had me scratching my head last season from a playcalling standpoint. Also in interviews Pelini seems to totally be behind Watson. I trust Pelini wholeheartedly but at the same time he can't throw one of his coaches under the bus publicly either.

I guess despite what success you have as a team you still have to look at the actual decisions that are being made. I saw enough last year to pretty much convince me that the guy simply was an overhyped offensive coordinator when we hired him. That's just my opinion.

Now that I say this sure enough the Nebraska offense will suddenly come alive this year...LOL.

How did this thread even get bunnped. How did this threall thought all the watson bashing had calmed down. And to contradict gmoose those numbers do lie. The auther clearly only put up the big 12 numbers to make wats look bad/over rated. The fact of the matter is he was number 12 in the nation then he lost his 2 best qbs, 2 best rbs, two best wrs, and his two best linemen so yes any time that happens there will be a very large drop off.

I agree with that. However, even though we are not a place like Texas that has talent ready to step in at any time, last years offense was embarrassing. From my standards, it doesn't really matter if you lose 11 of 11 guys on offense. If you want to be a consistent Top 25 threat, you have to find ways to reload and keep things chugging. Even Oklahoma, with all of their woes on offense with losing Sam Bradford, still found ways to put up points against the big boys. With the exception of Arizona and MU, we had trouble scoring just one touchdown against good talent.

I agree with that. However, even though we are not a place like Texas that has talent ready to step in at any time, last years offense was embarrassing. From my standards, it doesn't really matter if you lose 11 of 11 guys on offense. If you want to be a consistent Top 25 threat, you have to find ways to reload and keep things chugging. Even Oklahoma, with all of their woes on offense with losing Sam Bradford, still found ways to put up points against the big boys. With the exception of Arizona and MU, we had trouble scoring just one touchdown against good talent.

You can pin our reliance on JUCO players and lack of redshirt freshmen from past classes on the last coaching staff for our lack of depth. Coaches typically seek help from junior colleges when they have an immediate need. But high JUCO numbers signal urgency, sometimes bad recruiting, but more than likely terrible player development.

Don't get me wrong, stars do emerge from the JUCO ranks. Zac Taylor was the Big 12 offensive player of the year. Demorrio Williams and Terrell Farley changed Nebraska's defense when they joined the lineup.

But more often, Husker JUCO transfers made little contribution. And each scholarship awarded to a transfer is one less a coach can give to a high school prospect, who has more time to learn and develop.

List of scholarship junior-college transfers:

• 2009: Brandon Kinnie, Dejon Gomes

• 2008: Ricky Henry, Tyson Hetzer

• 2007: Kevin Dixon, Shukree Barfield, Larry Asante, Armando Murillo, Zac Lee

• 2006: Kenny Wilson, Brandon Johnson, Steve Allen, Victory Haines, Maurice Purify, Carl Nicks, Andre Jones, Tyrell Spain

• 2005: Bryan Wilson, Justin Tomerlin, Zac Taylor, Zack Bowman, Frantz Hardy, Brock Pasteur, Jordan Picou, Ola Dagunduro, Barry Cryer, Dontrell Moore, Steve Octavien

• 2004: Jordan Adams, Cornealius Thomas

• 2003: Donald Defrand, Wali Muhammad, Darren DeLone

• 2002: Demorrio Williams

• 2001: Clifford Brye, Rodney Burgess

• 2000: Thunder Collins

• 1999: Larry Henderson

• 1998: None

• 1997: Brandon Harrison

• 1996: None

• 1995: Terrell Farley

• 1994: Brian Knuckles, John Livingston

Nebraska has signed 42 players from junior colleges during the past 16 classes. Nearly half of those (19) joined NU during a two-year span under Bill Callahan. Callahan brought in (26) JUCOs during his tenure which totaled more than Osborne (4), Solich (8), and Pelini (4) combined from 1994-2009.

Redshirt Freshmen

Of scholarship players who arrived on campus as freshmen from 1994 to '97, Tom Osborne redshirted 58 of 73, 79.4 percent.

Frank Solich followed the same pattern. In six seasons, he redshirted 82 of 105 freshmen, 78.1 percent.

Bill Callahan took over for Solich and changed course. In four seasons, he redshirted 34 of 67 freshmen, 50.7 percent. <--- This is why we have no depth...

Fifth Year Seniors

Nebraska's depth through the years has afforded it the luxury to redshirt many of its best prospects. The strategy can pay dividends in year five.

Since 1996, 70 times a Nebraska player has received first- or second-team All-Big 12 honors.

More than one-third (34.3 percent) were fifth-year seniors. The list of 24 includes Mike Minter, Jason Peter, Mike Rucker, Dan Alexander, Russ Hochstein, DeJuan Groce, Cory Ross, Adam Carriker and Matt Slauson.

Imagine Eric Crouch exhausting eligibility before his Heisman season. Or Aaron Taylor finishing his career before his Outland Trophy season. Ndamukong Suh played during his freshman season, 2005, but the defensive tackle got hurt and received a medical redshirt.

First-class talent must be recruited and developed.