Arkansas Sports Writer thoughts on Texas Game

I write a weekly sports column in Arkansas. I thought you might be interested in it. Below is the excerpt from my column about your game:

Review, I Still Hate It.

The Texas-Nebraska game was another quick reminder of why I hate reviews. If you did not see the game, the Texas coach lost his mind and decided to run a play with 8 seconds left with the clock still running (shades of LSU) while his team was in easy field goal range for the win. The Texas quarterback ran to the sideline being chased and hurled the ball way out of bounds. The clock read zero. Nebraska celebrated what it thought was a 12-10 victory.

The play was reviewed and the ball did hit the ground out of bounds with maybe a second left on the clock (if the clock keeper’s hand can be that accurate watching a ball hit the ground). Texas benefited from a technicality and got one second back on the clock, which is all they needed to get the field-goal team on the field for the game-winning field goal and win 13-12.

I then argued over this call that was reversed by review with friends. They were saying the call was correct. My position was that seconds are lost all the time during the game and nobody cares because the clock guys hands are just a second slow. All of a sudden when it matters for Texas we’re going to get technical to the Longhorns’ advantage. I charged that every play during the game should be reviewed to ensure the exact time is kept. They said that was ludicrous and I countered what just happened was bias under equal protection. I said if that play happened at any other point in the game, is it corrected? And they said probably not. They still maintained the refs got the call right. I then countered one more time. If it were the Hogs and the positions were reversed with Texas on defense and the Hogs on offense and the clock ran out, do you think the Hogs would get the second back on the clock? They fell silent.

My latest book, “The Economics of Sex,” is now available on Amazon.

www.fruitbatbooks.com

There is no way that second would get put back on ther clock for Nebraska. No F-ing way it would have happened. The Big12 wanted to field a NC team and that is that.

I wonder if Bo stays up at night thinking about what if I would have just pulled my team off the field and headed to the locker room like it was over.

www.fruitbatbooks.com

Does anyone else feel like this thread is more of an advertisement for his book than anything else?

I mean seriously, copying and pasting the link in every post?

I write a weekly sports column in Arkansas. I thought you might be interested in it. Below is the excerpt from my column about your game:

Review, I Still Hate It.

The Texas-Nebraska game was another quick reminder of why I hate reviews. If you did not see the game, the Texas coach lost his mind and decided to run a play with 8 seconds left with the clock still running (shades of LSU) while his team was in easy field goal range for the win. The Texas quarterback ran to the sideline being chased and hurled the ball way out of bounds. The clock read zero. Nebraska celebrated what it thought was a 12-10 victory.

The play was reviewed and the ball did hit the ground out of bounds with maybe a second left on the clock (if the clock keeper’s hand can be that accurate watching a ball hit the ground). Texas benefited from a technicality and got one second back on the clock, which is all they needed to get the field-goal team on the field for the game-winning field goal and win 13-12.

I then argued over this call that was reversed by review with friends. They were saying the call was correct. My position was that seconds are lost all the time during the game and nobody cares because the clock guys hands are just a second slow. All of a sudden when it matters for Texas we’re going to get technical to the Longhorns’ advantage. I charged that every play during the game should be reviewed to ensure the exact time is kept. They said that was ludicrous and I countered what just happened was bias under equal protection. I said if that play happened at any other point in the game, is it corrected? And they said probably not. They still maintained the refs got the call right. I then countered one more time. If it were the Hogs and the positions were reversed with Texas on defense and the Hogs on offense and the clock ran out, do you think the Hogs would get the second back on the clock? They fell silent.

www.fruitbatbooks.com

There is no way that second would get put back on ther clock for Nebraska. No F-ing way it would have happened. The Big12 wanted to field a NC team and that is that.

I wonder if Bo stays up at night thinking about what if I would have just pulled my team off the field and headed to the locker room like it was over.

www.fruitbatbooks.com

Does anyone else feel like this thread is more of an advertisement for his book than anything else?

They also talk about the "human element" in a game. We don't give the team a "do-over" when a pass hits a ref. And I hate the fact that everyone argues it being the correct call when nobody really knows what the "official" time (the referee keeps track of that) was. We only saw the ABC clock pasted on our tv sets. How many times have you watched a game where the ESPN/CBS/ABC/NBC clock was screwed up and then it suddenly was fixed when the game didn't matter?

The bottom line is that Texass made a mistake but the refs bailed em out. They should've had McCoy spike the damn ball and the kick the field goal (saving their TO incase we blocked it or they had a bad snap). Mack wasn't smart and I hate the way he and his qb tried to cover it up (just reeked of "act cool so noboby will question the refs call")

Same way you they don't drag out the chains to measure 2nd and 7 but they do if a first down is at stake.

Thats basic common sense to see that its 2nd and 7. The coaches can ask for a messurement in close situations such as 2nd/3rd/4th and 1 or 2nd/3rd/4th and inches.

Any referee allowing any measurement on 2 and 7 is retarted and shouldn't officiate ever end of discussion.

Nobody ever stated what the official time on the field was. The refs keep the official time. Why would they review the scoreclock or ABC's tv time if they had a second left according to their OFFICIAL time? Just doesn't add up. If they are in charge of the official time they should have just stated to put another second on the clock. All other means of keping track of time are not official.

This is what bugs me the most. None of the official explanations, claiming that it was the right call, mention anything about the official time being kept on the field, not by ABC and their superimposed clock. Total hose job, as has been stated, if the tides were turned no way does Nebraska get that extra second. B.S. F-Texas. :steam Roll Tide Roll

Nobody ever stated what the official time on the field was. The refs keep the official time. Why would they review the scoreclock or ABC's tv time if they had a second left according to their OFFICIAL time? Just doesn't add up. If they are in charge of the official time they should have just stated to put another second on the clock. All other means of keping track of time are not official.

This is what bugs me the most. None of the official explanations, claiming that it was the right call, mention anything about the official time being kept on the field, not by ABC and their superimposed clock. Total hose job, as has been stated, if the tides were turned no way does Nebraska get that extra second. B.S. F-Texas. :steam Roll Tide Roll

It is my elementary understanding that the official time keeper who is usually on the sideline is wired to the scoreboard clock and he is keeping it. The scoreboard reflects the official time. In some rare cases the scoreboard clock malfunctions and you get to hear the announcement the "time will be kept on the field". I can be corrected if someone knows something different about the time being kept at the Big XII Championship.

the call at the end of the game was not about big money being lost by the Big 12 if UT didnt go to the NC game.

If NU wins the game they go to the Fiesta Bowl and the Big 12 shares $17 million. (2008 payout for BCS game)

UT most likely goes to Sugar Bowl and the Big 12 shares another $17 million (2008 payout for BCS game)

because of the call to get UT in the NC game the Big 12 will share $19 million instead of $34 million between the 2 games.

Yes, and I did since the first post.

I can understand your sentiment. I have stopped pasting my book in each reply. But, I did not come here to advertise my book or I would have just drove-by posted and left. I have stayed and engaged in debate. I think your team got robbed.

Review, I Still Hate It.

www.fruitbatbooks.com

Even the Hogs know we got screwed... Thanks for the words! I met a few Arkansas fans at the Vegas Bowl about 8 years ago... really nice folk! Thanks again for sharing your opinion... it reinforces what we already knew, but nice to hear someone from outside say so. :thumbs

They also talk about the "human element" in a game. We don't give the team a "do-over" when a pass hits a ref. And I hate the fact that everyone argues it being the correct call when nobody really knows what the "official" time (the referee keeps track of that) was. We only saw the ABC clock pasted on our tv sets. How many times have you watched a game where the ESPN/CBS/ABC/NBC clock was screwed up and then it suddenly was fixed when the game didn't matter?

The bottom line is that Texass made a mistake but the refs bailed em out. They should've had McCoy spike the damn ball and the kick the field goal (saving their TO incase we blocked it or they had a bad snap). Mack wasn't smart and I hate the way he and his qb tried to cover it up (just reeked of "act cool so noboby will question the refs call")

I will tell you the clock at the game ran to zero... I was watching it like a hawk. We got screwed, and it sucks. Good thing we get TX at home in 2010, something tells me they wont be able to hear themselves think!

:bonez

interesting comment at the end of that OWH article.

Why didn't they review the beginning of the play? Did the scorekeeper start the clock immediately upon the referee whistling the ball in play or was there a fraction of a second delay? If you can review the timing of the clock being STOPPED to within a fraction of a second, shouldn't you also review to make sure the clock was STARTED within a fraction of a second? If you're going to review and split hairs, you have to look at both ends of the clock operator's actions.

Because that wouldn't have benefited the Longhorns that's why!

So here's that clip of the 97 rose bowl.

about the 2:15 mark.

Watch carefully. The ball is spiked with 2 on the clock and they last two seconds tick off.

***And note that before the refs wind the clock while the chains are being moved...another second disappears. Now why is that? Perhaps the button was pressed on accident? Maybe it's that the clock on the TV set IS NOT THE SAME as the clock on the field or timekeepers. Hmmmm. And all we have to go off of is ABC's superimposed clock.

So here's that clip of the 97 rose bowl.

about the 2:15 mark.

Watch carefully. The ball is spiked with 2 on the clock and they last two seconds tick off.

***And note that before the refs wind the clock while the chains are being moved...another second disappears. Now why is that? Perhaps the button was pressed on accident? Maybe it's that the clock on the TV set IS NOT THE SAME as the clock on the field or timekeepers. Hmmmm. And all we have to go off of is ABC's superimposed clock.

People bringing up this example are reaching. It's apples and oranges. Replay wasn't implemented in 1997 and there was no rule in the handbook giving licence to review the clock for errors. There are MANY cases of refs putting time back on the clock. Have you honestly never heard a ref say "Please rest the game clock to xx. Thank you"? As soon as the NU players rushed the field they were getting brushed back by the officials. Everyone knew that time would be put back on because it was the correct call.

False. Mack Brown was trying to call a timeout before the ball was even snapped. He was ignored or not heard. (It’s his own fault for not jumping around and stamping on the ump’s foot to get his attention) The only person that “lost his mind” was Colt who thought that he had more time than he really did.

Technicality? The ball clearly hit the railing and the ground before time expired. When the pass is incomplete, the time on the clock stops. They were the benefit of the college rules.

McCoy steps up to the line with :08 left in the game. NU is confused as an audible is called. McCoy snaps the ball and throws a strike for a TD. Texas celebrates. The refs blow whistles and send it up to the replay booth. Turns out, McCoy snapped the ball :01 second after the game clock expired. TD is taken off the books and NU wins the game.

Would you be in favor of having the refs review the clock in this situation? Is it possible that this would be impactful on a 4th and 10 with 1:00 left just as much as it would be as time expires? If McCoy screws up, it’s ballgame. All NU has to do at that point is run a few plays to milk the clock for the win.

Bad example.

Even the Hogs know we got screwed... Thanks for the words! I met a few Arkansas fans at the Vegas Bowl about 8 years ago... really nice folk! Thanks again for sharing your opinion... it reinforces what we already knew, but nice to hear someone from outside say so.

Riiiight. Because we all know that the Hogs LOVE Texas and are more than willing to give them a fair shake. I bet that KU fans are more than willing to defend Mizzou's position on the flea kicker too.