Tim Griffin

kshusker89

that article was ridiculous, and i, too, have lost all (which was not much) respect for griffin. his reasoning was stupid, and he continually contradicted himself. saying the award is not supposed to be a career award, and talking about how McToy is the winningest quarterback. criticizing suh for NU's record. he wants McToy to win, and he is doing what he can to help. he is a Texas homer, and proved it over the past two weeks. his analysis has generally been worthless and lazy. truly shameful.

let me discuss some of the more ridiculous portions of this article:

"I fear that some of my fellow voters and most fans across the country put too much importance on what happened in the most recent game. I don't think they considered the body of work for a season."

-really? so the fact that he had probably his worst game of the season in the biggest, most important game of the season (not to mention the fact that McCoy was absolutely dominated by a fellow Heisman candidate) has no impact on your vote? that makes a lot of sense.

-the fact that he wrote off 2 of McCoy's interceptions as being the fault of others.

"I don’t think it was McCoy’s fault that he was sacked nine times against Nebraska. Instead, it was most indicative of playing behind the weakest offensive line he's had during his career."

-really? QBs can't scramble or throw the ball away to avoid a sack? of course, Suh should get absolutely no credit for the sacks either.

"Detractors talk about how he disappeared in that Nebraska game. I actually look at the toughness he showed to engineer his team to its biggest victory during the time he has been Texas’ quarterback -- despite the fierce pounding he took."

-this is laughable. enough said.

"Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had phenomenal individual numbers. But I still can’t get away from the biggest statistic in my mind: 9-4. As in Nebraska’s won-loss record."

-oh yeah, i forgot the Heisman trophy takes into account the win/loss record of the team that the player plays on. my bad.

"The argument could be made that those opponents schemed to take him (Suh) away from the game. But shouldn’t a Heisman Award candidate be able to overcome those offense plans, particularly playing with as strong a defensive front as the Cornhuskers had this season?"

-so shouldn't you make the same argument against McCoy? why didn't McCoy (being the obvious and most deserving Heisman candidate in your eyes) overcome the D of the Huskers and lead his team to an outright and convincing victory? i'm looking for a word to describe you here Tim...... ah yes i found it, HYPOCRITE.

Excellent work Tim. A real quality, well thought out article on your part.

"I fear that some of my fellow voters and most fans across the country put too much importance on what happened in the most recent game. I don't think they considered the body of work for a season."

-really? so the fact that he had probably his worst game of the season in the biggest, most important game of the season (not to mention the fact that McCoy was absolutely dominated by a fellow Heisman candidate) has no impact on your vote? that makes a lot of sense.

-the fact that he wrote off 2 of McCoy's interceptions as being the fault of others.

"I don’t think it was McCoy’s fault that he was sacked nine times against Nebraska. Instead, it was most indicative of playing behind the weakest offensive line he's had during his career."

-really? QBs can't scramble or throw the ball away to avoid a sack? of course, Suh should get absolutely no credit for the sacks either.

"Detractors talk about how he disappeared in that Nebraska game. I actually look at the toughness he showed to engineer his team to its biggest victory during the time he has been Texas’ quarterback -- despite the fierce pounding he took."

"Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had phenomenal individual numbers. But I still can’t get away from the biggest statistic in my mind: 9-4. As in Nebraska’s won-loss record."

-oh yeah, i forgot the Heisman trophy takes into account the win/loss record of the team that the player plays on. my bad.

"The argument could be made that those opponents schemed to take him away from the game. But shouldn’t a Heisman Award candidate be able to overcome those offense plans, particularly playing with as strong a defensive front as the Cornhuskers had this season?"

-so shouldn't you make the same argument against McCoy? why didn't McCoy (being the obvious and most deserving Heisman candidate in your eyes) overcome the D of the Huskers and lead his team to an outright and convincing victory? i'm looking for a word to describe you here Tim...... ah yes i found it, HYPOCRITE.

:yeah he also said that it should not be a career award, and then (in the next sentence) states he is the winningest qb ever. the criticizing the o-line is a joke, what about NU's entire offense for the 9-4 state. SUH has to beat two offenses to win. and writing off the interceptions was a joke, he shouldn't have thrown a ball that was going to get deflected, or to guys who were so well covered.

the entire article is a joke, full of contradictions and excuses. i hated reading it.

i am literally furious after reading that article. people who think like this should not have Heisman votes. sadly, many of those who do have votes share the same thought process and mindset.

i do not want to think i am upset because he voted for SUH. i am mad because of his illogical logic and utter stupidity. i would have rather him vote for anyone other than McToy. Give it to Gerhart or Ingram, both are more deserving that McToy. But how could he have watched SUH this season and thought that he did not deserve it?

"The argument could be made that those opponents schemed to take him (Suh) away from the game. But shouldn’t a Heisman Award candidate be able to overcome those offense plans, particularly playing with as strong a defensive front as the Cornhuskers had this season?"

:clap:yeah:nutz

I think his mind was already made up beforehand, and he wasn't expecting Colt to get rocked by us... Can't hold it against him for having an opinion, but if he's going to justfiy it, he needs to not contradict himself throughout his explaination... dedhoarse

i think that is true, he wanted to give it to McCoy, but it was harder to justify. he could have just spewed stats of McCoy's before the Big XII Champ, and focused on aTm and other successful games. his argument was pretty worthless. he may also feel McCoy is getting an unfair shake because he was a frontrunner a week before, and then went to nothing; again, it is his argument (not necessarily his vote) that is infuriating.