Yes, More Thoughts on the Callahan Hiring

Guest Patrick Casser

I think we have at least 3 more years to look at this change. We have a senior QB with no back up at this time. We do not have an established QB for next year at this time. Unfair to put all the preasure of one season on the staff.

Frank was not doing the job he was told to do. Make recruiting the number one priority. He disregarded his bosses orders. That is what got him fired. Another 3 years of the level of recruiting we were getting and this program would have been dead.

Some on here feel the recruiting problem has been corrected. Not even close at this time. The steps are being taken, but the competition is a good 3 years ahead of us in stock piling great talent. We have one very good year of recruting compared to the top programs five years. We are not there and will not be what BC wants for at least another two with excellent classes. If we win like most expect us to this year we will see a rise in recruiting. But we are one major injury away from being a run of the mill team in the North, not even concerning ourselves with the National picture.

This was the only answer for this program. When people get fired it is never the right way to do it. Insubordination is reason for firing and it was done, get over it. We are far better off now than we were 3 years ago. There is a future at this point, there was none before.

Moving into the new era of college football had to happen. Period.

Thank God Pederson saw the light that I and a lot of others did not. I still do not like the man, but he has only the best interest of this program at heart. We needed that!!!

skers.......everything you said here is right on the money.....i agree totally, we are not there yet, nor should we expect to be.......hoping is one thing, reality is a far different concept........2-3 more years will tell us a lot more about the direction and longevity under this regime (missing a top qb recruit last year hurt, to say it didn't matter is b.s........this year, will prove even more critical)........great post!

hunter

I think we have at least 3 more years to look at this change. We have a senior QB with no back up at this time. We do not have an established QB for next year at this time. Unfair to put all the preasure of one season on the staff.

Frank was not doing the job he was told to do. Make recruiting the number one priority. He disregarded his bosses orders. That is what got him fired. Another 3 years of the level of recruiting we were getting and this program would have been dead.

Some on here feel the recruiting problem has been corrected. Not even close at this time. The steps are being taken, but the competition is a good 3 years ahead of us in stock piling great talent. We have one very good year of recruting compared to the top programs five years. We are not there and will not be what BC wants for at least another two with excellent classes. If we win like most expect us to this year we will see a rise in recruiting. But we are one major injury away from being a run of the mill team in the North, not even concerning ourselves with the National picture.

This was the only answer for this program. When people get fired it is never the right way to do it. Insubordination is reason for firing and it was done, get over it. We are far better off now than we were 3 years ago. There is a future at this point, there was none before.

Moving into the new era of college football had to happen. Period.

Thank God Pederson saw the light that I and a lot of others did not. I still do not like the man, but he has only the best interest of this program at heart. We needed that!!!

Absolutely correct. We are still not back to the level of "reloading" rather than "rebuilding" at this point - but we're definitely moving in the right direction. We need at least a couple more classes to start providing real depth - the kind that constantly pushes the starters and where there is no real drop-off when an injury occurs or a class graduates (or in the case of KSU or CU, where a class uses up its eligibility - there is a difference, ya know...)

Anyone that thinks solich was taking us back to the top is crazy. Why should he have to take us back to the top. He got handed a top 5 team and drove it into the ground. He thought he could play OC like Dr Tom, but his offense was option left option right quaterback sneak. Coach Tom's offense was complicated Solich's was not. He was one of the best position coaches around, he was just not head coach material.

Maybe we all forgot the many clueless games/seasons Solich had, here is my take:

Went from Option Left/Right FB/HB Iso under Tommy

Speed option with Crouch because there were no running backs...Crouch one man show

Lord wow, um i cant describe that offense. Cause there was none. The ball basically sat un-used until 4th down boy we got great at punting, whoopeee!!! thanks Frank

Frank knew after his 7-7 season 02' the writing was on the wall, we had to fire the AD to get one with a backbone to do something about Solich and the decline of NU. Solich tried to get something going by switching to a hybrid option/pro-style offense. If consulting a magic 8 ball the result would have read "outlook not so good" for the likely hood of success.

Solich believers can dream all they want but the man did not

a) know you had to leave Nebraska to recruit

B) know a X, Y, Z receiver could do anything but sweep with the RB

c) a lick about pro-style offense

There are places to experiment with new styles of offense you have never coached and that place is Ohio not freakin' Lincoln Nebraska.

If you want a pro-style attack consult a pro guy. Makes sense to a layman. Steve P didnt have confidence in his subordinate. Guess what If I dont think someone is capable of doing a job who is under me. I dont hesitate to release them to find employment elsewhere. Football is a business too why should it be different? It does not matter how much fans think a coach is great we are not privy to insider info like the AD. Besides Steve P is not a idiot and not new to building/restoring programs so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. He doesnt want to go down as worst AD ever his trying to improve the program something Frank was not doing and simply uncapable of.

While I think - I hope - that Callahan will be a good hire, I agree.  I could not find fault with any of Solich's coaching - I felt that recruiting was the key.  Seems to me that the level of talent has declined just enough to cause these problems.

What I would have liked to have seen is the creation of a "recruiting department", so to speak.  Something that identifies the absolute essential, top-notch recruits, and that does nothing but set up the recruit for the visits from the coaches and so forth.

While this might have been going on at Nebraska - I don't know - it seems that recruiting was the issue...not the coaching of Xs and Os.

It's called the Recruiting Cordinator - Scott Dowling was and now Shaun Watson replaced him. They have always had one. Steve Pederson was the RC in the mid eighties.