Band is a no show

Twodocs

I'm not an alum, so I can't speak with any authority here, but I believe historically the band always travels by bus. Nobody can control the timing of the 2009 Christmas Blizzard. So, the powers that be made the decision not to put these kids at risk by attempting this bus trip. I respect that. Would they have been able to get flights on short notice, and remain sane fiscally? Maybe, maybe not. How about getting their equipment there on time? I agree it will be crappy not having the band there, and it will be noticed. I'm not sure what the options are given the timing of this storm, though. If I were a big time donor with big bucks, I would have been on the phone as soon as dropping the band became an option, trying to work something out.

For the record, at least during 1996 to 2001 the band was flying to bowl games. I dated a girl who was on the flag line for that time and I picked her up at the airport many a time. The last 8 years things could have changed however, but I suspect that UNL just recently made the decision to send the band on the buses in response to economy. But like everyone else has stated its not like the university just decided not to send them. When this plan was made obviously nobody could foresee the worst winter storm we have had in years coming through.

Why is everyone using the fact that the band was scheduled to take a bus as a reason to bash the University? They flew to and from Dallas. There's just not enough money to fly to both games, and it sucks that the University chose the wrong game to fly to. It's not anyone's fault, so how bout we just shut up?

And to whoever said nobody likes the band, that's a ridiculous statement. A lot of fans do, and so do a lot of students.

Part of the biggest problem in all of this is that the band needed to report to Lincoln last night to leave today (Sunday) to participate in everything. Students were not able to get back to Lincoln, and in parts of the country around where I live, not the city itself but country, there are people still snowed in. If part of the band cannot make it to leave there is no way they could go, especially trying to fly on short notice.

And I know that the band drove to the Gator Bowl, and the Cotton bowl in recent years.

I dont know the facts of this, and I dont care. Bottom line is, theyre not goin. TOO DAMN BAD. You want a band, plug in your frickin Ipod (whatever the hell that is) and turn it to "Husker Song" and listen to it for yourself.

I don't know things and I don't know what stuff is but I hate it all!

No one likes the "pride of all nebraska" anyways....I may be speaking for myself here, but most people I talk to would rather have different halftime entertainment.

the students have awesome seats...right now...so dont complain

Dude, you have to use a /sarcasm of some sort. You almost had me thinking you were retarded.

Something doesn't make sense here. They could have safely left last night, let alone this morning.

The game isn't until Wednesday night. This doesn't jive at all.

Not if a large part of the band isn't even in Lincoln.......

Well, if that is legitimately the case, they are a bunch of morons. EVERYONE knew that this storm was coming, and they knew several days ahead of time.

yes way too expensive with a 98 million budget and most from football and the bowl paying for travel and expense way too expensive but Millard West 96 menber band is flying to the Rose Bowl

looks like we do have a pro team

it is not about the band or the students

all money for one thing the ad department and big power fat cats

Well, if that is legitimately the case, they are a bunch of morons. EVERYONE knew that this storm was coming, and they knew several days ahead of time.

So, a bunch of college kids--who haven't been home to see their families since late July--are a bunch of morons for not skipping Christmas just so they can make it back to Lincoln early? They have sacrificed an incredible amount of time with their families just to be in the band, making your statement all the more ignorant, dimwitted, and just about any other synonym for the word stupid.