Florida Gators Head Coaching Job

If you think this is too early to post sparing some feelings for Coach Meyer or Gator fans, well this is college football, and it doesn't stand still for one person, no matter if he is a stand up guy. The offices in Gainesville are surely working overtime to find a replacement, so who do you think will be called up for the job?

Potential successors to Meyer could include Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, who was the other top candidate in 2004 when Meyer got the job, former Florida Gator and Super Bowl-winning NFL coach Mike Shanahan and former Meyer assistants Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong. Former Florida offensive coordinator Mullen just finished his first season as head coach at Mississippi State. Defensive coordinator Strong was named the head coach at Louisville earlier this month. Strong hasn't signed a formal contract with Louisville as of this time yet, only a term sheet.

For all you Watson, Gilmore, and Cotton haters, this could be the Christmas present you've been waiting for....

Will Bo make a move to hire away successful assistants, who could receive their pink slips due to a coaching shake up?

By Pat Dooley

Staff writer

Published: Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 8:23 p.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 8:23 p.m.

The trip to the hospital the night after Florida's loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game "scared" Urban Meyer to the point where he spent much of the last two weeks soul-searching and led to his decision to step down after the Sugar Bowl, according to a source.

Florida could hire a replacement for Meyer, who won 56 games in five seasons, very soon after the game against Cincinnati or even before, according to another source.

Meyer told The Sun on Dec. 7 that his trip to the hospital was because of "major chest pains" and that he needed "to take better care of myself."

According to a source close to the situation, Meyer had been considering leaving coaching for more than a week, going back and forth on the decision.

"He just doesn't have anything left in the tank," the source said.

Not sure what his name is but the Utah coach might a smart move. Look what happened when they took the last coach from there.

Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing. I think they should go after Stoops first and if they don't get his, which will probably happen they should go after Whittingham at Utah.

I'll bet Coach Strong wishes Meyer would've timed this announcement a little better because he was interim HC at Florida when they canned Zook before Meyer was hired.

They probably wouldn't be facing a recruiting crisis if Strong stayed behind at UF.

Other than that, I'm gonna throw Coach Mullen from Miss. St. as a contender for the UF job. He just got the Miss. St. job this year, but he was under Meyer since the Bowling Green days, so he understands and knows Meyer's offense as well as anybody else. For the sake of continuity he'd be a reasonable pick.

I think Chris Peterson from Boise State is who they will choose. He is a lot like Meyer in the ways that he comes from a non-power conference school and is an offensive guy. I can't imagine that Boise could compete with Florida in terms of pay.

This could be a good hire IMO. I'm surprised no one has really taken a long hard look at Peterson yet.

But I don't think Stoops will go to Florida. Then again, a lot of fan around here wouldn't mind seeing him leave either

I think Chris Peterson from Boise State is who they will choose. He is a lot like Meyer in the ways that he comes from a non-power conference school and is an offensive guy. I can't imagine that Boise could compete with Florida in terms of pay.

This could be a good hire IMO. I'm surprised no one has really taken a long hard look at Peterson yet.

But I don't think Stoops will go to Florida. Then again, a lot of fan around here wouldn't mind seeing him leave either

Chris Peterson/Garry Patterson --- Actually I don’t think either is a good fit being based so far away. I’ve been told Patterson would have a lot of trouble in the high profile arena that is Florida football. Peterson has spent all but one of his 45 years either in Idaho or further west and would seem to be an odd fit. Both are outstanding coaches and might warrant a call, but neither seems like a great fit.

http://florida.scout.com/2/932226.html