Watson...what's your opinion now?

Knowing what we know now (Lee has been playing with a bum arm, Helu apparently has not healed completely and our O-Line CAN play ball), what is your opinion on Watson and whether he should stay or go?

He runs this offense like in the bowl game with Burkhead and we're gonna ROLL next year. If we had this offense all year, we're playing Alabama for NC this year!!!

I think Watson mixed it up real well. I think some of his playcalling was hindered by some personnel issues this year. I think Lee did well considering his injury, perhaps that is why he was so apprehensive after the ASU game. We'll see next year. I think Lee played a smart game last night. That is all that we need to offense to do, play smart and sound football and get out of the defense's way.

One successful foray is not enough (yet) to change my negative opinion of him.

1. We should have seen some of this before the bowl game, like say......against Texas.

2. He had 3 weeks to prepare for this game. What if he had only one week to prepare?

3. One game's worth of offense does not a redemption make.

I just heard mention about Zac Lee's arm, so I can't comment on it. I'm unaware of how long it has had issues. If he's been playing injured all season, then I obviously need to reassess my opinion of him.

I'm ecstatic about everything that transpired last night. I just haven't seen enough to change my opinion of Watson. If his success continues from this point on through next season and beyond, then I'll be a believer. I first have to see that he's an OC than can produce a competent offense through an entire season, year-in and out, through personnel changes that are both expected and unexpected. Yeah, that's a high bar, but that's what we'd come to expect for the better part of 40 years at NU.

The better question would be: should Barney stay or go? Most of the offensive problems this year were caused by poor OL play. Watson's play calling was suspect at times, but I believe it was because he was trying to do something or create something despite the poor OL play.

Absolutely, 100% agree

Although I agree with both of you, our O-Line played very well last night even without Marcel Jones. It was very refreshing, and I hope it continues into next season. :thumbs

One successful foray is not enough (yet) to change my negative opinion of him.

1. We should have seen some of this before the bowl game, like say......against Texas.

2. He had 3 weeks to prepare for this game. What if he had only one week to prepare?

3. One game's worth of offense does not a redemption make.

I just heard mention about Zac Lee's arm, so I can't comment on it. I'm unaware of how long it has had issues. If he's been playing injured all season, then I obviously need to reassess my opinion of him.

I'm ecstatic about everything that transpired last night. I just haven't seen enough to change my opinion of Watson. If his success continues from this point on through next season and beyond, then I'll be a believer. I first have to see that he's an OC than can produce a competent offense through an entire season, year-in and out, through personnel changes that are both expected and unexpected. Yeah, that's a high bar, but that's what we'd come to expect for the better part of 40 years at NU.

1. I love how everyone thinks you can just fix sh#t real nice like in the middle of the season. This is college football, ffs. You have one week, maybe two if you're lucky, before the next game and you have student athletes who are required to spend a good deal of their time with school work. While you can tweak and work on problems throughout the season, unless it's an experience issue, most of your problems will remain problems throughout the season. That Watson and company managed to reinvent the offense in the middle of the season and still win games is a testament to his abilities and those of our players.

2. If we had one week? You probably wouldn't have seen the advances you saw in the game. Why? See above. They improved when they should have improved.

3. Of course not, I'm sure your posts will still be complaining when we are winning BCS bowls with Watson. I'll be enjoying it, though.

Lee's been injured most of the season.

Other then the same couple bubble screens he usualy calls what else did he run that was even close to the West Coast offense that he wants to run in this game?

Why did it take him a whole season to try these kind of plays and will he go back to West Coast next year.

Having a QB with a bad arm the whole season when you had at least three different QB's that could have done the same handoffs (just maybe they would have gotten better with more game time). does not make much of an excuse IMO.

Other then the same couple bubble screens he usualy calls what else did he run that was even close to the West Coast offense that he wants to run in this game?

Why did it take him a whole season to try these kind of plays and will he go back to West Coast next year.

Having a QB with a bad arm the whole season when you had at least three different QB's that could have done the same handoffs (just maybe they would have gotten better with more game time). does not make much of an excuse IMO.

This post earns a :facepalm:

It was good to see Barney sticking a foot up their asses for once

well put lilred.

I've been sayin it all year we need to keep wats as long as we can, he's a great OC. Our offense was pretty banged up all year and our line struggled most games so those of you still calling for watson's head need consider that.

Also what was with the anouncers saying Marcel Jones was our best O-lineman? i always thought it was hickman? not sayin Marcel isn't good, i've just heard Watson praise hickman more :dunno