Do we really need another young QB?

The time before that, we got Zac Taylor :)

The thing is: it's very possible one of those QBs will step up. But we're essentially looking at two guys, one of whom you said "god help us if he starts" about. I don't necessarily agree, but to play devil's advocate, if the light doesn't turn on for Green? That's very possible too. I'm worried about the first string in 2011. Can Green be a Division 1 caliber starting QB? The jury is so much out on that one I'm uncomfortable without getting some more bodies in for the mix. Because that year it's Green, Spano, or bust if we don't get someone in this class.

If Spano is Batch, Green is a poor man's Dennis Dixon :)

I keep seeing/hearing nothing but positive things out of Lincoln in regards to T Martinez. Little tidbits here and there...amazing, unbelievable plays hes made in practice...his attitude...coaches gushing about him.... Just gettin nothing but good vibes about him. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire on something like this. Reminds me of the chatter surrounding Burkhead last spring. With Ganz there now, mentoring him, Watson's talk of this run/spread stuff...I dunno. I wouldnt write Martinez off so quickly.

I keep seeing/hearing nothing but positive things out of Lincoln in regards to T Martinez. Little tidbits here and there...amazing, unbelievable plays hes made in practice...his attitude...coaches gushing about him.... Just gettin nothing but good vibes about him. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire on something like this. Reminds me of the chatter surrounding Burkhead last spring. With Ganz there now, mentoring him, Watson's talk of this run/spread stuff...I dunno. I wouldnt write Martinez off so quickly.

Honestly, there is nobody there right now that just blows the socks off of everyone else. If a nobody on the practice squad actually stepped up, it wouldn't surprise me, but they would not only have to have the talent, but they would have to have the charisma to get the support of not only the coaches, but the players. Bringing in Ganz may be a good thing for that, I agree.

Another thing, though, is we really don't know how good any of these guys are, because in all fairness to all of them, the O-line didn't give a lot of support this year. Same thing with the backs, we don't know how good they are because there were no holes to run through unless the backs created them for themselves.

Some articles recently talked up Taylor Martinez and his versatility. T-mart was the scout team Offensive MVP. They expect him to add a couple of wrinkles to the QB competition. Can't wait to see what he's got to offer.

Ron Kellogg III and Nick Ash were the Offensive MVPs this year for the Scout Team.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100104/BIGRED/701049884

I would think at this point we could use that spot to fill a different position.

I would like to see us build more experience at QB this year. I really got the feeling this year of the blind leading the blind at QB. Of course having Ganz running around will help for sure.

Honestly, I would like to see us sign 2 QB's each season. If we ever want to be an elite team, we need ELITE play at the QB position. I think its safe to say we did not receive that level of play this season.

I also believe teams don't need 5-Star QB's to receive Elite production from that position. That's pretty well documented.

The gravitation towards more athletic QB's gives us some flexibility as well. Barry Switzer used to recruit 5 QBs per season with the sole intention of moving a couple of guys to other positions.

I find it hard to believe that with 6 or maybe 7 QB's on the roster, we can't find a true winner, leader, and playmaker.

2 QB recruits per year means we'll have 8 quarterbacks on the team. What do we do with those other 7 QB's who aren't starting? There would be some pretty PO'ed players, and I think it would be hard to draw recruits knowing they have to compete with 7 other people for the starting role.

Competition man. Seriously. You will have attrition everywhere, but cream rises to the top.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100104/BIGRED/701049884

I would think at this point we could use that spot to fill a different position.

I would like to see us build more experience at QB this year. I really got the feeling this year of the blind leading the blind at QB. Of course having Ganz running around will help for sure.

Honestly, I would like to see us sign 2 QB's each season. If we ever want to be an elite team, we need ELITE play at the QB position. I think its safe to say we did not receive that level of play this season.

I also believe teams don't need 5-Star QB's to receive Elite production from that position. That's pretty well documented.

The gravitation towards more athletic QB's gives us some flexibility as well. Barry Switzer used to recruit 5 QBs per season with the sole intention of moving a couple of guys to other positions.

I find it hard to believe that with 6 or maybe 7 QB's on the roster, we can't find a true winner, leader, and playmaker.

2 QB recruits per year means we'll have 8 quarterbacks on the team. What do we do with those other 7 QB's who aren't starting? There would be some pretty PO'ed players, and I think it would be hard to draw recruits knowing they have to compete with 7 other people for the starting role.

Competition man. Seriously. You will have attrition everywhere, but cream rises to the top.

Look at the roster now...we are real close to having 8, if we don't have 8 or more. But the ones we have are not real great quality. Some of them will never see a single game day in a Husker uniform probably...unless they are sitting in their ez chair at home watching on TV. It is all about having the quality, if you don't have that, there is no competition.

Actually there have also been many reports of bad attitude, arrogance, not adjusting well/getting along on Taylor. We are hearing more good things about him now.

QB's need to have that arrogance to some degree, and be hard headed as long as they can listen to be coached. As far as bad attitude, if you don't like someone's arrogance it is easy to just say that they have a bad attitude. So unless specific situations were cited, I wouldn't put much into that accusation, myself. The thing that we are missing is an attitude and an arrogance on offense. The defense has it, and look where they are.

One example I will give is Tim Tebow, there are a lot of people that don't like his attitude or claim that he has arrogance. But the guy has a will to win, and conveys that onto his offense. He will scratch and claw to win. He is emotional (and some can't stand that aspect or parts of it). He is a leader, no matter how you feel about him, and his players will follow him.

I haven't seen any real emotion of any kind out of this offense. Maybe we need some of that. We need them to actually believe that they will win. Right now it is like everyone is standing back "hoping to win". In our glory years, we went out and expected to win each and every Saturday. And other teams knew that we thought we would win, and when you can do that, sometimes you can put another team in the position that mentally they are defeated before they even get off the bus. That is a huge advantage.

"Coach Bo Pelini has said the Huskers would add a quarterback if the right one were available, but would not take one just to take one."

I think that pretty much says it all.

yup. :thumbs

Bo knows what to do to advance the program. He's really learning this head coach stuff. ;)

Can Green be a Division 1 caliber starting QB?

I think that he can, seeing him play during the limited time this year, i like his fundamentals and he shows potential to be a starting QB. What i like about Green is that he keeps the ball low on long passes, he doesn't put a lot of air under it like Zac Lee does, giving the secondary time get to the ball. Cody Green's speed and power is another great asset that is sure to prove itself later on.

Don't write Cody Green off just yet, the young man still has potential to be a Division 1 caliber starting QB.

Don't write Cody Green off just yet, the young man still has potential to be a Division 1 caliber starting QB.

Amen to that. As complicated as Watson's offense is, it is crazy to judge this guy by what we saw of him this year. He was tossed into the fire fast, with an offensive line holier than the Pope and banged-up RBs with next to no depth. This season's offense can largely be written off as an aberration, as can all of Cody's stats.

Do not be surprised to see Green in close competition with Lee next season for the #1 gig.

"Coach Bo Pelini has said the Huskers would add a quarterback if the right one were available, but would not take one just to take one."

I think that pretty much says it all.

yup. :thumbs

Bo knows what to do to advance the program. He's really learning this head coach stuff. ;)

Another thought on Bo's comments about a QB. The more I think about it the more I feel, we do desperately need a QB in this class. And part of those comments may just be because you can't make it seem like the guys we are looking at (Carnes, Colter), are "just guys" we are taking "just because." And to a degree that isn't true because these are talented guys. I just wonder if Bo's words weren't said with that in mind as opposed to actually dismissing QB as a position of need. Even if we do need it, taking some guy just to take him would only do so much. It has to be the 'right' guy...but on the flip side of that, the staff has to believe that every guy they take, they believe in. None of the guys we take are guys we "take just to take"...

Fuzzy, knapplc, I see what both of you are saying (although I'm not sure about the long balls - Lee's deep ball is beautiful and has been pretty effective this season. I kind of feel like they need to have air on them - just not TOO much. But the right amount of touch, whereas Green only throws bullets). But my point that I made earlier is what if he doesn't turn out? We all think that he "could" do it - but the point is that if he couldn't - we'd be in pretty dire straits at that point. No? This isn't so much a commentary on Green or Spano or anyone as it is just looking at the numbers game we will have at QB, and deciding just how critical a QB in this year's class is.