Grey shirts, green shirts, etc.

so what does he do for the year in between time?

He can enroll in the Fall 2010 semester as a part-time student with his own $$. He can't practice with the team, but he can go to their practices to watch and be there for moral support.

Once Jan. 2011 starts up, his scholly will kick in and then he'll enroll as a full-time student.

Why the hell wasnt Cotton asked to greyshirt instead? From what I've heard, Cotton wont have 2 pay anything to go to NU anyway (cuz his dad coaches & apparantly will be retained) so wtf difference does it make whether or not we give him a scholarship?

you don't know that he wasn't, you don't know that he isn't, and none of us know how good he actually is (aside from the fact that the coaches think he's worth a scholarship).

you also apparently haven't heard that children of NU employees are eligible for 15 hours tuition reimbursement per YEAR, not including housing, meals or books.

Why the hell wasnt Cotton asked to greyshirt instead? From what I've heard, Cotton wont have 2 pay anything to go to NU anyway (cuz his dad coaches & apparantly will be retained) so wtf difference does it make whether or not we give him a scholarship?

You heard wrong, it's been mentioned many times. Barney's kids (or any other coach's) can't take that benefit until the coach has been in place for 5 years.

you don't know that he wasn't, you don't know that he isn't, and none of us know how good he actually is (aside from the fact that the coaches think he's worth a scholarship).

:yeah

Every time I start having those same thoughts/questions about the coaches giving scholarships to Cotton (and Evans) my faith in this staff trumps these concerns. Bottom line is I have complete faith in this staff's plan and ability to evaluate talent.

God you are angry, why are you so angry and bitter about an 18 year old kid. weird.

Regardless if Cotton is going to get a free ride or not I have noo idea why the hell evans or cotton weren't asked to greyshirt instead of Mitchell. So much for those rumors that he was the number one cover corner on the coaches board huh? I don't care if he is a year younger than the rest of the guys in this class or not, I don't think he should have taken one ahead of evans or cotton. With that said if Cotton and Evans are/were asked to take a greyshirt then I really don't have a problem with this, I just would absolutely HATE to see Mitchell asked when Cotton and Evans aren't.

Wow, another super angry guy. The amount of people that want evans and cotton to have it "tougher" is amazing.

If you dont think that being a year younger is a big difference then I dont know what to tell you. This kid is almost a recruit for next year anyway due to his age.

Here are the relevant sections of the NCAA rules for figuring out "counters" (basically who counts against the 25 and 85 limits)

15.5.6.3 Initial Counters—Football (Also see Bylaw 15.02.3.1).

15.5.6.3.1 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering in Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A

student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters in the fall term and receives institutional

financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) during the first academic year in residence shall be

an initial counter for that year in football. Therefore, such aid shall not be awarded if the institution has

reached its limit on the number of initial counters prior to the award of institutional financial aid to the

student-athlete.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A

student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and

immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial

counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the

next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the

academic year in which the aid was first received.

15.5.6.3.3 Recruited Student-Athlete, Aid Received After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A recruited student-

athlete (including a student-athlete who was not a qualifier) in football who first receives athletically

related financial aid after the student-athlete’s first academic year in residence shall be an initial counter for

that academic year in which the aid is first received, if such aid is received during the fall term. However,

such a student-athlete who first receives athletically related financial aid in the second or third term of an

academic year may be considered an initial counter during the academic year in which aid was first received

or the next academic year. In either case, the student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter

limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/3/06)

15.5.6.3.4 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS] A

student-athlete not recruited by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree

on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial

counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question.

However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which

the aid was first received.

15.5.6.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [FBS/FCS] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates

during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be

counted against the initial limit for the following academic year, or by a student-athlete who was an initial

counter in a previous academic year and is returning to the institution after time spent on active duty in

the armed services or on an official church mission. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the

midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to

the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution

may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during

that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised:

4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05, 12/15/06, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08)

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence

at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial

aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall

grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

15.5.6.3.7 Recruited Student-Athlete, Varsity Competition. [FBS/FCS] In accordance with Bylaw

15.5.1.2, a recruited student-athlete receiving institutional financial aid certified as having been granted

without regard in any degree to athletics ability becomes an initial counter in the first academic year in

which the student-athlete competes on the varsity level. (See Bylaw 15.5.1.2.2.) (Revised: 10/27/05 effective

8/1/06)

15.5.6.3.8 Returning Two-Year Transfer. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who previously was an initial

counter and who transferred to a two-year college shall not be an initial counter upon return to the original

institution.

15.5.6.3.9 Delayed Initial Counter Who Does Not Return to School. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete

who receives countable financial aid but whose status as an initial counter under this bylaw is delayed until

the following academic year shall be counted against the initial limit the following academic year, regardless

of whether the student-athlete reports for participation or attends the institution in that academic year.