Andy Staples' early, early, early, early pre-season Top 25

To me all of this is a psychological thing with how we perceive success. I still think that we as fans tend to have more of a negative perception when we had to lean on our defense to win games. If we would have had to lean on our offense and won shootouts, people would feel a lot better about the team this year and going into next.

Honestly, with the absolutely lethal, lights-out defense we had at the end of this season, I don't think that there were anywhere near 13 teams ahead of us that would beat us head-to-head at the end of the year. The pollsters did about all they could do by making us the highest-ranked 4 loss team, and I thank them for that.

Call me a homer (and I am), but I honestly believe that we should be ranked in the top 10 going into next season. If we field a similar defense (which Pelini of all people says will be better) and a better offense (which can only get better from this year), how many schools SHOULD be ranked ahead of us? After seeing our defense give opposing offenses the football equivalent of an atomic wedgie in big games, can you name 10 or more schools in 2010 that Vegas would dare make a favorite over us to start the season? Even those made favorite would only be by a scant number of points, which further justifies our top 10 ranking. I think 2010 may just be the year of our return. I'm putting all of of my chips on Red.

Missouri 25???? really!?!?!

Missouri went 8-5 with a very young starting team. We had a young team this year and their two-deep was even younger than ours.

Don't sleep on Missouri. If Gabbert becomes even close to what they thought he could be, they'll be all right. I doubt they beat us without better WRs - they lose 2,500 receiving yards and 20 TDs in Alexander and Perry - but they return their top four RBs and pretty much their whole O Line, if I recall. Jerrell Jackson got some late PT when Perry broke his leg and should benefit from that experience, but I'm still not hanging my hat on my passing game if I'm Missouri next year.

Their biggest problem will be on defense. Losing Weatherspoon is going to hurt them, big time. Aldon Smith is a budding star but without Spoon backing him up...

I'm not worried about losing to Missouri, but it's not like they don't deserve to be ranked. They're a decent team.

The trick, obviously, will be living up to a Top 10 preseason ranking.

And some trick that will be. Was the bowl game offense what we could have always been with a healthy team or was it an aberration? Is Zac Lee suddenly going to blossom into the player he was hyped as out of JUCO? Will Green erupt into the next great young phenom? Or will both continue their stumbling around the offense they exhibited all year? Will our RBs return to glory or will they once again be derailed by injury? Will our WR corps suddenly leap forward with pass-catching ability heretofore unseen, or was 2009 the apex of their skill?

There are so many questions on offense that I don't see justification for a top ten ranking, whether we return 10 starters or not. Ten starters returning from an underachieving unit is hardly cause for aisle-dancing, methinks.

We could be good next year. But nothing we've seen says we will be.

I have to think...no...believe, that what the team did in the Holiday Bowl offensively had to have raised their confidence level tremendously which should, hopefully, carry over to spring ball and ultimately the season. I have to believe Bo will do what is necessary to make this offense finally start clicking. I really think injuries and attrition hurt us offensively. To many want to lay the blame on Watson but I find that hard to do when you consider how well we were offensively in 2008. Yeah we were ranked something like #6 in the Big 12 offensively but people tend to forget who was in front of us (TTU, OU, UT, KU, MU). We still finished highly ranked in the national stats rankings offensively. So I don't think the failures on offense were a result of coaching. But 2010 will answer a lot of those question I guess. If we struggle in 2010, then yes, coaching is the problem and Watson has just become a liability. If we see a continuation of what was produced in the Holiday Bowl, then I think 2009 will soon be forgotten.

If this is what you believe then wouldn't it stand to reason that our shellacking of the Sun belt in 09 should of given the offense confidence?

I think the Offense has only one way to go....up. Whether that's with Cody or Zac remains to be seen. Watson has shown the ability to step out of the box with the Holiday victory. Whether or not he crawls back into said box once we start conference play will determine our fate.

And some trick that will be. Was the bowl game offense what we could have always been with a healthy team or was it an aberration? Is Zac Lee suddenly going to blossom into the player he was hyped as out of JUCO? Will Green erupt into the next great young phenom? Or will both continue their stumbling around the offense they exhibited all year? Will our RBs return to glory or will they once again be derailed by injury? Will our WR corps suddenly leap forward with pass-catching ability heretofore unseen, or was 2009 the apex of their skill?

There are so many questions on offense that I don't see justification for a top ten ranking, whether we return 10 starters or not. Ten starters returning from an underachieving unit is hardly cause for aisle-dancing, methinks.

I have to think...no...believe, that what the team did in the Holiday Bowl offensively had to have raised their confidence level tremendously which should, hopefully, carry over to spring ball and ultimately the season. I have to believe Bo will do what is necessary to make this offense finally start clicking. I really think injuries and attrition hurt us offensively. To many want to lay the blame on Watson but I find that hard to do when you consider how well we were offensively in 2008. Yeah we were ranked something like #6 in the Big 12 offensively but people tend to forget who was in front of us (TTU, OU, UT, KU, MU). We still finished highly ranked in the national stats rankings offensively. So I don't think the failures on offense were a result of coaching. But 2010 will answer a lot of those question I guess. If we struggle in 2010, then yes, coaching is the problem and Watson has just become a liability. If we see a continuation of what was produced in the Holiday Bowl, then I think 2009 will soon be forgotten.

If this is what you believe then wouldn't it stand to reason that our shellacking of the Sun belt in 09 should of given the offense confidence?

I think the Offense has only one way to go....up. Whether that's with Cody or Zac remains to be seen. Watson has shown the ability to step out of the box with the Holiday victory. Whether or not he crawls back into said box once we start conference play will determine our fate.

Initially yes but after the slump at Missouri, TTU, ISU, etc, you have to wonder if the confidence level dropped a little

Initially yes but after the slump at Missouri, TTU, ISU, etc, you have to wonder if the confidence level dropped a little

Okie I agree that confedence can have alot to do with your performance, but I think you are overlooking the overall performance of the offence. I would never accuse you of blinders, but maybe the bowl game is a factoring a little heavy in your thoughts. Nebraska was no where near the #6 offense in the Big 12 or highly ranked nationally. Infact it is just the opposite. Nebraska was the worst offensive team in the Big 12 and one of the worst in college football. In confernce play they were the 12th best offense, 12th best passing team, 11th best scoring team and 6th best running team. Nationally, 99th best offense, 75th in scoring, 101st in passing and 62nd in rushing. I think we can all agree that the offense was broken. That does not mean it can not be fixed. But if I were a husker fan I would have alot of concerns about what needs to be done more than just riding into practice on a high note.

Nebraska is a good team. And IF the defense plays to the same level as last year, you would only need an average offense to be an elite team. But i would still have concerns about the O for next year. Hell I have concerns about your O going into next year and I dont think you would call me a Husker fan.

knapplc

You are pretty much right about MU. They had the youngest 2 deep in college football last year. Their being ranked would be counting on growth from alot of those players. THey do lose 1 offensive linemen, but have a number of good young ones that they brought in last year and 1 this year. Although replacing WR production has to be a concern, MU has shown the ability over the last 3 series of starters to do that. Plus there are a lot of young WR's on the roster.

The D needs fixed just like Nebraksa offense needs fixed. You cant continue to have players drafted from your D and have them suck so bad. THey are just awful. And over the past 2 years I have come to believe it is scheme and coaching. I mean who in their right mind as a D cordinator sets a scheme to react to the play against an option team. React?! More like wait for the guy to run next to you before you try to tackle him. And tackling!! I could go on for a while...;)

:boxosoap

Anyway, if gabbert continues to grow and become more consistant, and there is some improvement in the D, Mu could easily be a top 25 team. If not you will see much of the same from this year

And I believe if NU were to start out at #15 that would be a fair ranking for them

Okie I agree that confedence can have alot to do with your performance, but I think you are overlooking the overall performance of the offence. I would never accuss you of blinders, but maybe the bowl game is a factoring a little heavy in your thoughts. Nebraska was no where near the #6 offense in the Big 12 or highly ranked nationally. Infact it is just the opposite. Nebraska was the worst offensive team in the Big 12 and one of the worst in college football. In confernce play they were the 12th best offense, 12th best passing team, 11th best scoring team and 6th best running team. Nationally, 99th best offense, 75th in scoring, 101st in passing and 62nd in rushing. I think we can all agree that the offense was broken. That does not mean it can not be fixed. But if I were a husker fan I would have alot of concerns about what needs to be done more than just riding into practice on a high note.

Nebraska is a good team. And IF the defense plays to the same level as last year, you would only need an average offense to be an elite team. But i would still have concerns about the O for next year. Hell I have concerns about your O going into next year and I dont think you would call me a Husker fan.

The $25,000 question with Nebraska is, was our offense hampered by injuries (which we had in droves) or are we just not that good? With all of those injuries it's hard to get a real feel on who/what our offense is. We do know that we were the most healthy we'd been all season since the Sun Belt tour when we played our bowl game. Does that mean anything, or was the bowl game more a factor of a WAY overconfident Arizona team mentally crashing?

There are just so many variables between injuries and good defenses and monsoon rains and whatnot that I have a real hard time making any prediction for this offense. All I can say is, it will be an astounding feat if we are worse next year. I would presume we'd be, at least somewhat, better. But how far that'll take us is anyone's guess.

Okie I agree that confedence can have alot to do with your performance, but I think you are overlooking the overall performance of the offence. I would never accuss you of blinders, but maybe the bowl game is a factoring a little heavy in your thoughts. Nebraska was no where near the #6 offense in the Big 12 or highly ranked nationally. Infact it is just the opposite. Nebraska was the worst offensive team in the Big 12 and one of the worst in college football. In confernce play they were the 12th best offense, 12th best passing team, 11th best scoring team and 6th best running team. Nationally, 99th best offense, 75th in scoring, 101st in passing and 62nd in rushing. I think we can all agree that the offense was broken. That does not mean it can not be fixed. But if I were a husker fan I would have alot of concerns about what needs to be done more than just riding into practice on a high note.

The $25,000 question with Nebraska is, was our offense hampered by injuries (which we had in droves) or are we just not that good? With all of those injuries it's hard to get a real feel on who/what our offense is. We do know that we were the most healthy we'd been all season since the Sun Belt tour when we played our bowl game. Does that mean anything, or was the bowl game more a factor of a WAY overconfident Arizona team mentally crashing?

There are just so many variables between injuries and good defenses and monsoon rains and whatnot that I have a real hard time making any prediction for this offense. All I can say is, it will be an astounding feat if we are worse next year. I would presume we'd be, at least somewhat, better. But how far that'll take us is anyone's guess.

And that is more than a fair statement. But thats a part of the game. MU was possibly a twisted ankle, monsoon rain storm & a brain fart of a game from 10 wins or better and even better O rankings. Every team has injuries and issues. Maybe if everyone was heathly NE would have been the 60th or 70th best instead of 100th best. But then again maybe not. And that Knapplc is as you say, "the $25,000 question."

Will the real Nebraska offense please stand up. It will be something I am sure most Husker and college football fans will be interested in seeing the answer too.

And that is more than a fair statement. But thats a part of the game. MU was possibly a twisted ankle, monsoon rain storm & a brain fart of a game from 10 wins or better and even better O rankings. Every team has injuries and issues. Maybe if everyone was heathly NE would have been the 60th or 70th best instead of 100th best. But then again maybe not. And that Knapplc is as you say, "the $25,000 question."

Will the real Nebraska offense please stand up. It will be something I am sure most Husker and college football fans will be interested in seeing the answer too.

I'm sure there won't be another twisted ankle in Lincoln this October. With all of your RBs, most of your O Line, Gabbert and Jerrell Jackson coming back, I'm looking forward to a heck of a game.

Gah! Eight more months! :ohnoes

Okie I agree that confedence can have alot to do with your performance, but I think you are overlooking the overall performance of the offence. I would never accuse you of blinders, but maybe the bowl game is a factoring a little heavy in your thoughts. Nebraska was no where near the #6 offense in the Big 12 or highly ranked nationally. Infact it is just the opposite. Nebraska was the worst offensive team in the Big 12 and one of the worst in college football. In confernce play they were the 12th best offense, 12th best passing team, 11th best scoring team and 6th best running team. Nationally, 99th best offense, 75th in scoring, 101st in passing and 62nd in rushing. I think we can all agree that the offense was broken. That does not mean it can not be fixed. But if I were a husker fan I would have alot of concerns about what needs to be done more than just riding into practice on a high note.

I probably should've clarified a little more. Our rankings you posted were for this year. When I mentioned our higher rankings (in bold in my quote), I was actually referring to the 2008 season:

Total Offense: 13 (#6 Conf)

Rushing Offense: 38 (#5 Conf)

Passing Offense: 15 (#6 Conf)

Scoring Offense: 18(#6 Conf)

Nebraskas 2008 Stats

**Edited for better clarity and simplicity...too many damn quotes in the previous post**

I probably should've clarified a little more. Our rankings you posted were for this year. When I mentioned our higher rankings (in bold in my quote), I was actually referring to the 2008 season:

Nebraskas 2008 Stats

**Edited for better clarity and simplicity...too many damn quotes in the previous post**

well thats a world of difference. i was like "im not sure what he was looking at..." :)

Nebraskas 2008 Stats

well thats a world of difference. i was like "im not sure what he was looking at..." :)

:thumbs

15th is right where I think the Huskers should be. We still haven't beat a team ranked in the top 15 in years. Until we do that, I really don't think we deserve to be ranked higher until otherwise.

i respectfully disagree. the ranking is based on next year's team and next years expectations, not what we have or haven't done "in years".