Is Doc the right guy??

Two words sums up half the fan base for all of our sports, unrealistic expectations.

Why is it unrealistic to expect our basketball team to be competitive?

Unrealistic for them to be competitive this year with so many inexperienced starters.

Yeah but we are never competitive. We have never been to a big 12 championship game and at the end of the year we will have the least amount of NCAA tourny trips out of any big 12 team. I would be content if we made the NCAA tournament once in a while and if over 1/3 of the team didn't think about transfering. It just looks bad.

Really? Really? You obviously do not watch Nebraska basketball. The one thing that has kept people (not just fans, but also analysts) optimistic about Doc is that he gets no-talent bums to be COMPETITIVE in almost every game. They are never competitive is an absolutely ridiculous statement. No, they haven't won a whole heck of a lot, but watch a game once. Other than CU and K-State this year, they have been competitive in every game. Watching the away games on t.v., you always hear the announcers (even when it's ESPN) talk about how great iit is to see a coach get such low rated players to play so hard and be so COMPETITIVE against top tier talent.

Your not getting the point. We are never competitive in the season as a whole. We never contend for a Big 12 championship. Yeah we compete with Schools like Kansas and texas, but for one half. <_< The main reason too is because they are looking ahead to their next game. Just look what Colorado did to Kansas last night. Same thing happened to us but only for one half instead of the whole game. Also How come during those "competitive" games we are never the team that comes out on top? We can play tough at home, but we shouldn't just be playing tough we should be winning. Just look at Missouri, their talent level isn't much greater than ours but they had the second longest home winning streak in D1 before yesterday.

Maybe if Doc plays his players to their advantage and let them play the way they want to we would win a couple more games a year and actually finish a game instead of letting it slip and crack under the pressure.

Amen Nice post!!!

• 1 month later...

People go back at look at the years Danny Nee coached

and what he did for NU basketball I don't think some of

you realize we can have a good b-ball program. I'm not

saying we should be in the dance every year but every

other at least is possible.

danny nee won a total of 10 games his 4th year. no trying to drudge up another danny v. doc debate, just simply saying everyone says "look what nee did, doc should do the same!" you just said it yourself. now i say to you, YOU need to go back and look at what nee did. doc's record thus far is better. we gave nee time, why doesn't doc deserve that same luxury? i realize doc probably won't have the fifth year that danny nee had, but it seems a little unfair to cry "DANNY NEE" when doc is actually better thus far, record-wise.

danny nee won a total of 10 games his 4th year. no trying to drudge up another danny v. doc debate, just simply saying everyone says "look what nee did, doc should do the same!" you just said it yourself. now i say to you, YOU need to go back and look at what nee did. doc's record thus far is better. we gave nee time, why doesn't doc deserve that same luxury? i realize doc probably won't have the fifth year that danny nee had, but it seems a little unfair to cry "DANNY NEE" when doc is actually better thus far, record-wise.

Under Nee we were in the dance in his third season 97-98 enough said. I really wasn't against Doc

until you made the post that YOU were done with him. So I looked back at what Danny Nee did for us

because someone made the post that they would be happy with the NIT. So would you please make up your

mind are you happy with Doc or not??????

Under Nee we were in the dance in his third season 97-98 enough said. I really wasn't against Doc

until you made the post that YOU were done with him. So I looked back at what Danny Nee did for us

because someone made the post that they would be happy with the NIT. So would you please make up your

there are so many things here, i don't know where to start. first of all, i'm not trying to call any one person out here, we're all husker fans, so if you took anything i said personally, i apologize. that being said: there are a couple things here that i'm having troubles following.

your first sentence confuses me. danny nee's third season was 1988-89. i'm not following the whole "dance in his third season 97-98 enough said."

secondly, i was just pointing out that people are saying this is unacceptable to have 14 wins in doc's fourth year and nee had 10 in his, that's all i was saying. just trying to give a little perspective, we all know they're two different sets of circumstances and two different coaches and two different teams, just pointing something out.

third, and hardest of all to understand, is that you appear to be yelling at ME for YOUR indecisiveness on doc. i don't think i've ever had someone tell me "i agreed with you, until you pointed something out that made me disagree with you, and now i can't tell what your stance is and it's confusing me. if i don't know your stance, i can't take my own. so please take a stance so that i can base my own off of yours." dude, it's called personal opinion. be original, come up with your own. and am i not entitled to change mine? also, if you read any of my posts you will see that i am a big doc supporter but am very upset with his results.

p.s. - i never, ever, ever said i was done with doc. i said i couldn't stick up for him anymore, it's too hard to argue with people that he is a good coach because he isn't showing it right now. never did i say i was done with him, just done defending him

I almost hope that Doc is fired, and someone else, some "magic man" is brought in to please all of you. Wait....Doc is that guy, but you want to run him out of town. Wake up people. Doc is our man. He's the guy. Hiring another coach that has a better record, and will do better, would be like throwing a dollar and expecting a winning lottery ticket on the first try. Get behind Doc, folks. Not in front of the pitchfork.

• Fire 1

I almost hope that Doc is fired, and someone else, some "magic man" is brought in to please all of you. Wait....Doc is that guy, but you want to run him out of town. Wake up people. Doc is our man. He's the guy. Hiring another coach that has a better record, and will do better, would be like throwing a dollar and expecting a winning lottery ticket on the first try. Get behind Doc, folks. Not in front of the pitchfork.

Can I ask why you think that? Serious question!

What is it for you that says this is the guy?

Danny went dancing in his 5th year. 4th year was not very good.

First year lost 12

Second year lost 17

3rd year lost 16

4th year lost 18

5th year lost 8

6th year lost 10

7th year lost 11

8th year lost 10

thank you. that's been my point all along but people seemed to be missing that. i doubt doc will have the same fifth year nee had, but i think he deserves the chance. after all, danny got the chance and look what he was able to do

on a side note: can i say this program is pretty sad. everybody's argument is "look what danny did." (i love nee for it, too. have a framed picture with him hanging on my wall) but how many schools' best head coach had were .572 with zero tourney wins? i love this program and support it like crazy, but i'm guessing if a duke, ku or nc fan stumbled across our arguments they would laugh their ass off.

there are so many things here, i don't know where to start. first of all, i'm not trying to call any one person out here, we're all husker fans, so if you took anything i said personally, i apologize. that being said: there are a couple things here that i'm having troubles following.

your first sentence confuses me. danny nee's third season was 1988-89. i'm not following the whole "dance in his third season 97-98 enough said."

secondly, i was just pointing out that people are saying this is unacceptable to have 14 wins in doc's fourth year and nee had 10 in his, that's all i was saying. just trying to give a little perspective, we all know they're two different sets of circumstances and two different coaches and two different teams, just pointing something out.

third, and hardest of all to understand, is that you appear to be yelling at ME for YOUR indecisiveness on doc. i don't think i've ever had someone tell me "i agreed with you, until you pointed something out that made me disagree with you, and now i can't tell what your stance is and it's confusing me. if i don't know your stance, i can't take my own. so please take a stance so that i can base my own off of yours." dude, it's called personal opinion. be original, come up with your own. and am i not entitled to change mine? also, if you read any of my posts you will see that i am a big doc supporter but am very upset with his results.

p.s. - i never, ever, ever said i was done with doc. i said i couldn't stick up for him anymore, it's too hard to argue with people that he is a good coach because he isn't showing it right now. never did i say i was done with him, just done defending him

First of all I didn't mean to come across to you as yelling. I guess I was just trying to discuss

two different posts from two different people, my fault. The more I look at where the basketball

program is I think even Barry Collier could have stayed and done what Doc has done. Barry's last

year we made it to the semifinals in the Big 12 tourney. Should Doc get one more year yeah I think

so, does he deserve it I don't think so. It just scares me with all the rumors and how many kids

are wanting to transfer. How far back will that put us?

Some things for me that makes me question Doc's ability for this level is...

1) the lack of recruiting (it can be done in less time)

2) sloppy play (turn overs in some games have killed us)

3) lack of scoring (droughts just about every game)

4) lack on continuity on offense (we can sure swing the ball around the outside though)

5) no real first team to hang your hat on ( you have GOT to have your typical starters, see number 4)

... I'll stop at 5.

• Fire 1