Is Doc the right guy??

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

No, it's not. There's a thing called "strength of schedule" which Nebraska has none of. The nonconference schedule is a joke. Oregon State, USC an TCU are NOT basketball schools. Just because they are in power conferences does not mean they are good wins. You can't sugar coat the fact that, for whatever reason, this year's basketball team is terrible. We're young at almost every position, and Doc still can't figure out how to set a rotation and how to properly motivate players without completely destroying their confidence. He's got a long way to go before establishing Nebraska as even a mid-tier basketball team in the Big XII.

I am stupified as to what some of you expect from this team, this program, and this coach in this current state. You dont make moonshine out of moonbeams, and you dont make great basketball teams out of basketballs and a fans want. Doc has nothing to work with. I just dont see how anyone lays the blame for this at Doc's feet. You have to take the whole program in, and examine it. I have a lot more questions about the seriousness of this team in terms of the athletic department and support staff than Doc. Honestly, what have they provided him with since hiring him to succeed? Other than the honor of leading the wreck? sh#t. NOTHING. Doc is a great coach. The product your seeing is not completely controlled by him. You bring in someone else, same story. Those that want to point to Kansas St as "oh, they can do it, why cant we..." are lacking in the history department and overlooking that their athletic department laid their proverbial manhood on the table and put their money where their mouth was. I am positively not sugarcoating anything. If this team was "terrible," they would have a losing record. We'd be 1-674. Unfortunately, Doc will probably continue to do nothing more than tread water with this program until A: he's fired and someone else gets 4-5 years to drown, or B: the athletic department steps up, and Doc figures out how to lure another Sallie and keep him this time.

I agree with the fact that Doc has been handed the short end of the stick from the Admissions department, but this team is mostly comprised of his players. It's his coaching decisions (to which he has admitted his shortcomings) in-game that are mystifying at times. He can't decide on a rotation, he can't decide whether or not to stick with upperclassmen who have reached their peak or play underclassmen with (arguably) more potential. If a player makes a mistake, he doesn't let him play out of it. Rather, he pulls the kid and embarrasses the player on his way to the bench. I don't doubt that Doc has potential to be a very good coach. However, like anything, it takes time, and work. He needs to show improvement. It's downright embarrassing to be a major Division I school with no NCAA tournament wins. I'm not calling for Doc's job, but he needs to show something.

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

No, it's not. There's a thing called "strength of schedule" which Nebraska has none of. The nonconference schedule is a joke. Oregon State, USC an TCU are NOT basketball schools. Just because they are in power conferences does not mean they are good wins. You can't sugar coat the fact that, for whatever reason, this year's basketball team is terrible. We're young at almost every position, and Doc still can't figure out how to set a rotation and how to properly motivate players without completely destroying their confidence. He's got a long way to go before establishing Nebraska as even a mid-tier basketball team in the Big XII.

I am stupified as to what some of you expect from this team, this program, and this coach in this current state. You dont make moonshine out of moonbeams, and you dont make great basketball teams out of basketballs and a fans want. Doc has nothing to work with. I just dont see how anyone lays the blame for this at Doc's feet. You have to take the whole program in, and examine it. I have a lot more questions about the seriousness of this team in terms of the athletic department and support staff than Doc. Honestly, what have they provided him with since hiring him to succeed? Other than the honor of leading the wreck? sh#t. NOTHING. Doc is a great coach. The product your seeing is not completely controlled by him. You bring in someone else, same story. Those that want to point to Kansas St as "oh, they can do it, why cant we..." are lacking in the history department and overlooking that their athletic department laid their proverbial manhood on the table and put their money where their mouth was. I am positively not sugarcoating anything. If this team was "terrible," they would have a losing record. We'd be 1-674. Unfortunately, Doc will probably continue to do nothing more than tread water with this program until A: he's fired and someone else gets 4-5 years to drown, or B: the athletic department steps up, and Doc figures out how to lure another Sallie and keep him this time.

If Doc is such a great coach, then explain his playing rotations (something he can control)? He plays one guy 25 mins one game and then doesn't play him at all the next game. Shoot, Standhardinger played pretty well the other night against Colorado, and then Doc comes out in the OWH that Standhardinger is not guaranteed anymore time because of his defensive play and practice habits. Same story with Hankins-Cole. WE NEED TO SCORE POINTS!!! I don't care if a kid is not having a good week in practice or not, if he gives us a better chance at winning games...PLAY HIM!!! This isn't junior high or high school anymore gents. We don't have to play everyone to make them feel good about themselves, or to keep their parents happy. Play the kids that give us a chance at winning!!

Completely agree. Doc is doing ok for what he has, but remember there is no reason that he can't be going out and trying to lure players that other actaul BCS schools are also recruiting. Nothing illegal about recruiting the top tier players in the nation instead of offering kids that would would be Kansas wouldn't even accept as a walk on. What seperates Doc from being a good coach is the lack of him not going after good players.

If Doc is such a great coach, then explain his playing rotations (something he can control)? He plays one guy 25 mins one game and then doesn't play him at all the next game. Shoot, Standhardinger played pretty well the other night against Colorado, and then Doc comes out in the OWH that Standhardinger is not guaranteed anymore time because of his defensive play and practice habits. Same story with Hankins-Cole. WE NEED TO SCORE POINTS!!! I don't care if a kid is not having a good week in practice or not, if he gives us a better chance at winning games...PLAY HIM!!! This isn't junior high or high school anymore gents. We don't have to play everyone to make them feel good about themselves, or to keep their parents happy. Play the kids that give us a chance at winning!!

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't think Doc is the right guy. It seems to me that the players haven't "bought" into his system and coaching philosophy. The football team is a perfect example of that (Callahan Era). You can have the greatest talent in the world but if they don't gel with the coach, then only bad things will happen. You have to win over your players before you can even thing about winning any games!

This is a tough question to answer. I like the way he gets our teams to play defense, but he has to find a way for our offense to consistently click. He has also been using the excuse that "we're young" for the last four years. Eventually, that excuse will wear out once he has had multiple years to get something consistent going.

Doc is really good at coaching defense, but his offenses, not only this year, are very unorganized. They all seem lost out there. I have a feeling that this is because certain players have orders on when they can take a shot and when they can't. IMO if they can't figure out what the difference is between a good shot and a bad shot, then they shouldn't be playing ball at this level. I have noticed many times before I heard this that Diaz, or Ubel and others would get the ball early in the shot clock and have a chance to make an easy move, but then decide to throw it back out. At times this is a good choice, but they need to be able to use their stengths too.

• Fire 1

Doc is really good at coaching defense, but his offenses, not only this year, are very unorganized. They all seem lost out there. I have a feeling that this is because certain players have orders on when they can take a shot and when they can't. IMO if they can't figure out what the difference is between a good shot and a bad shot, then they shouldn't be playing ball at this level. I have noticed many times before I heard this that Diaz, or Ubel and others would get the ball early in the shot clock and have a chance to make an easy move, but then decide to throw it back out. At times this is a good choice, but they need to be able to use their stengths too.

Agreed.

I dont want to stir up the rumor mill or anything, but I was at the game last night and talked to a buddy whos a football player. Who is friends with a basketball player. Grapevine, I know. But anyways he was telling me that 5, yes, 5 guys on the team this year have already filed for transfer papers. He told me some and not all are bench players, some impact ones. And he said its all because they dont like Doc. I was shocked when I heard this. But then he began to tell me how all he does is punish his players, and finds no good in them. No support or positivity.

Supposedly this week he has punished his players by having two a days all week. And running them into the ground. The day before the Iowa State game he had a HARD 2 and a half hour practice, ending with a grueling amount of gasers, or windsprints.

You can call the players pansies or whatever, but it sounds like no one likes Doc, and is tired of his punishment attitude. Theres a difference between conditioning running, punishment running, and down right stupidity. And it sounds like Doc is coming on the third one pretty good.

Everyone argues, its so good to see them play hard, blah blah blah. Evidently its not getting it done. Will we still be positive and encouraging after all of the transfers when we are suiting up a team manager next year?

I like Doc and how he gets his players to play. But they dont. And it isnt like Doc is bringing in crazy good recruits. Youve had your time, were due for a change.

• Fire 2

I dont want to stir up the rumor mill or anything, but I was at the game last night and talked to a buddy whos a football player. Who is friends with a basketball player. Grapevine, I know. But anyways he was telling me that 5, yes, 5 guys on the team this year have already filed for transfer papers. He told me some and not all are bench players, some impact ones. And he said its all because they dont like Doc. I was shocked when I heard this. But then he began to tell me how all he does is punish his players, and finds no good in them. No support or positivity.

Supposedly this week he has punished his players by having two a days all week. And running them into the ground. The day before the Iowa State game he had a HARD 2 and a half hour practice, ending with a grueling amount of gasers, or windsprints.

You can call the players pansies or whatever, but it sounds like no one likes Doc, and is tired of his punishment attitude. Theres a difference between conditioning running, punishment running, and down right stupidity. And it sounds like Doc is coming on the third one pretty good.

Everyone argues, its so good to see them play hard, blah blah blah. Evidently its not getting it done. Will we still be positive and encouraging after all of the transfers when we are suiting up a team manager next year?

I like Doc and how he gets his players to play. But they dont. And it isnt like Doc is bringing in crazy good recruits. Youve had your time, were due for a change.

Thanks for the insight. Its getting ridiculous on the amount of players transferring every year. Obviously something isn't clicking and the chemistry isn't there. I think its time for a change as well.

I like Doc, and am a big Doc guy, but right now he has nothing to work with. We are one of the most untalented teams in the Big 12. If we get a new arena, recruits might start to come in. I think you give Doc some talent, he will create a wining program.

I honestly dont think Doc is the problem.

Agree doc isn't the problem he is starting to get the recuits. Stanhardingler is going to be good if not great he has great potential except doc doesn't like his defence. When doc came in about everyone on the team either left the team or transfered, so he had to start from scratch. Also this year two pretty good players had there seasons ended early due to injuries. Nieeman, and mcCray both would have contributed quite a bit and helped with some more size down low that doc for some reason doesn't use. Despite finally having the size doc only uses diaz as the only big guy that starts you have the size use it doc. I do think doc is the right person for the job it's just going to take a matter of time until he gets the recuits and players for his program. You could see last year despite having the shortest team in the country there were able to compete with about everyone they played. And doc like defence and defence wins games, like football sound famillar.

I like Doc, and am a big Doc guy, but right now he has nothing to work with. We are one of the most untalented teams in the Big 12. If we get a new arena, recruits might start to come in. I think you give Doc some talent, he will create a wining program.

I honestly dont think Doc is the problem.

Agree doc isn't the problem he is starting to get the recuits. Stanhardingler is going to be good if not great he has great potential except doc doesn't like his defence. When doc came in about everyone on the team either left the team or transfered, so he had to start from scratch. Also this year two pretty good players had there seasons ended early due to injuries. Nieeman, and mcCray both would have contributed quite a bit and helped with some more size down low that doc for some reason doesn't use. Despite finally having the size doc only uses diaz as the only big guy that starts you have the size use it doc. I do think doc is the right person for the job it's just going to take a matter of time until he gets the recuits and players for his program. You could see last year despite having the shortest team in the country there were able to compete with about everyone they played. And doc like defence and defence wins games, like football sound famillar.

Doc gets guys for a year or two and they transfer. It doesnt matter if your bringing in a NBA caliber recruiting class if they transfer after a season bc they dont like the coach. 5 players transferring? With possibly more to come? That is unheard of for a basketball team. Thats more than the whole football team, and they have 140 players. He is not the right guy.

• Fire 1

Doc gets guys for a year or two and they transfer. It doesnt matter if your bringing in a NBA caliber recruiting class if they transfer after a season bc they dont like the coach. 5 players transferring? With possibly more to come? That is unheard of for a basketball team. Thats more than the whole football team, and they have 140 players. He is not the right guy.

Yea why not? Let's grab all the pitchforks and torches for grapevine information!!! Lyons is leading the coup!

Still don't understand Sadler. Holley is a high quality and very athletic player yet he almost never plays. Jones is are best 3 point shooter yet never plays anymore. We caould really use both of them right now in the season. Doc has to learn how to use players. :facepalm:

Its flat out getting annoying.

Still don't understand Sadler. Holley is a high quality and very athletic player yet he almost never plays. Jones is are best 3 point shooter yet never plays anymore. We caould really use both of them right now in the season. Doc has to learn how to use players. :facepalm:

Its flat out getting annoying.

I'm with ya 100%. I don't remember what game it was, but Holley got a rebound down low and absolutely EXPLODED out of everyone for a dunk. Dude has hops. Earlier in the year Jones was called "one of the best three-point shooters in the country" by a TV announcer. Play them.

Oh well. It's just Nebraska basketball I guess...but man I wish we could be good at it because then it gets really fun.

Hopefully we can get McCray back healthy next year and develop all the freshmen. We show potential, but no consistency. dedhoarse