Is Doc the right guy??

maybe doc isn't the coach that will take NU to a national championship, but he is the right guy for the job right now. i know a lot of people are tired of hearing "next year" (me included) but it looks like that FINALLY MAY be TRUE. doc has managed to bring some attention back after the collier failure and is slowly but surely bringing some talent back. IMO doc is the perfect guy to be here 10-12 years, deal with the ups and downs, bring everyone through them and finally get NU to where they are consistently top half of big 12 and always have the tourney in reach. i know fans don't want the "slowly but surely" approach, but at a place like NU that's the way it has to be. it's just too hard to bring in that one difference maker to a place like this (without help)

I'm assuming this season is already over. I usually never count my Huskers out until the buzzer sounds but they have not shown me ANYTHING to make me think they will turn this season around. And when you look at the remaining schedule, there is MAYBE 3 games that I would give them a chance in. I think Doc had better have a better year next year (NCAA tourney) or there could be serious talk of a new coach after next season. I am heading to the Big XII tourney in KC this year. Wish my Huskers were more of a top-half team. Oh well, the Big XII is so good all around that at least will see some great games.

I dont believe he is benching them so much for 'effort' in practice, but for the fact that they simply arent good enough. Look at how well Jeter, a former Cinci football star and JUCO transfar looked out there, and the little freshman, Gallegos, sinking threes against Mizzou. No one has stood out head and shoulders that screams to me they should be starting and getting max minutes every night. A lot of false hope was put into Standhardinger I believe. There simply insnt great talent on this team. Coaches throughout the Big 12 hate preparing for, and coaching against, Doc. Thats reason enough for me too keep him around. Maybe he just needs some help in the recruiting arena. (and definitely in the admissions deptartment.)

Another thing I heard, havent looked for a source to verify, is that there is a Kstate ASSISTANT coach that makes $500k a year? Thats insane.

I dont believe he is benching them so much for 'effort' in practice, but for the fact that they simply arent good enough. Look at how well Jeter, a former Cinci football star and JUCO transfar looked out there, and the little freshman, Gallegos, sinking threes against Mizzou. No one has stood out head and shoulders that screams to me they should be starting and getting max minutes every night. A lot of false hope was put into Standhardinger I believe. There simply insnt great talent on this team. Coaches throughout the Big 12 hate preparing for, and coaching against, Doc. Thats reason enough for me too keep him around. Maybe he just needs some help in the recruiting arena. (and definitely in the admissions deptartment.)

Another thing I heard, havent looked for a source to verify, is that there is a Kstate ASSISTANT coach that makes $500k a year? Thats insane.

I agree with your statement about coaches hating preparing for a Doc team, and also believe we should keep him around but help him by either building an arena or hiring an AAU coach so he can get some players. But you can't sit a player for an entire game just because he isn't good enough to start. Standharding and QHC are not any worse than half the guys getting playing time, not letting them play and gain experience is not helping the team and is not helping them as players. And you can't say Standhardinger was full of FALSE hope YET, he has played in three games. Hard to judge someone by their first three games of the season when their competition has played 15 or more games already.

p.s. - i hope your jeter comment was sarcasm or exaggeration. he was not a football star at cinci, he was a redshirt

I'm surprised to see how many people think that Doc is the right guy and will get the job done, when he hasn't done anything. While just as many people sat and called for Anderson's head over on the ball field last year just because they had a very young team and didn't play to the RECENT standards of what NU has done.. does this mean if the women's team finishes in the bottom half of the big 12 next year that we should call for Yori's head because we aren't doing as good as we can? Admittedly, I don't follow basketball enough to know how good or bad of a coach Doc is, all i know is the team seems to have been improving since he got here. They seem more competitive in losses and even win a couple you don't expect them to. But I don't know for sure if that's a Doc thing of if it is just better players. So i'll go ahead and take a neutral side on this topic....

I'm surprised to see how many people think that Doc is the right guy and will get the job done, when he hasn't done anything. While just as many people sat and called for Anderson's head over on the ball field last year just because they had a very young team and didn't play to the RECENT standards of what NU has done.. does this mean if the women's team finishes in the bottom half of the big 12 next year that we should call for Yori's head because we aren't doing as good as we can? Admittedly, I don't follow basketball enough to know how good or bad of a coach Doc is, all i know is the team seems to have been improving since he got here. They seem more competitive in losses and even win a couple you don't expect them to. But I don't know for sure if that's a Doc thing of if it is just better players. So i'll go ahead and take a neutral side on this topic....

I will agree that we do seem to be competitive in our losses (sometimes not though) and we do sneak a few good wins out every once in awhile, but this is starting to get comparable to the Collier years. People forget that even Collier could get a big win every now and then (#4 Oklahoma State, etc.), but he was eventually let go because we were going no where as a program. Have we slipped to that point again?

After last night's game, I just don't know what to think. I do believe Doc's job is secure this year, but (0-5) to start conference play, when we should have been at least (2-3) is unacceptable.

Fifteen minutes went by last night and they only had 8 points on the board. When Doc was hired, during the presser he said we were going to run up and down the court, and instead all we get is inept offenses playing not to lose, terrible free throw shooting, and puzzling substitutions.

Standhardinger scored 14 points, and only got to play 12 minutes last night? I mean WTF! The guy gets a hot hand, and he is sitting on the bench for most of the game. If one of the guys screws up a defensive play, (it happens to every player!) he ends up riding the pine half the night. I'm all for discipline, but when Doc's discipline, or the way it's starting to look to me - his ego - is costing the team games, then something needs to be done internally. I'm not talking about firing coaches, but the heat definitely needs to be turned up.

Can anyone definitively say with the conference schedule remaining if there's any chance to get to .500 in conference play, because I just don't see it.

When Nee was here, we had NBA talent. Now all we get is excuses.

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

No, it's not. There's a thing called "strength of schedule" which Nebraska has none of. The nonconference schedule is a joke. Oregon State, USC an TCU are NOT basketball schools. Just because they are in power conferences does not mean they are good wins. You can't sugar coat the fact that, for whatever reason, this year's basketball team is terrible. We're young at almost every position, and Doc still can't figure out how to set a rotation and how to properly motivate players without completely destroying their confidence. He's got a long way to go before establishing Nebraska as even a mid-tier basketball team in the Big XII.

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

No, it's not. There's a thing called "strength of schedule" which Nebraska has none of. The nonconference schedule is a joke. Oregon State, USC an TCU are NOT basketball schools. Just because they are in power conferences does not mean they are good wins. You can't sugar coat the fact that, for whatever reason, this year's basketball team is terrible. We're young at almost every position, and Doc still can't figure out how to set a rotation and how to properly motivate players without completely destroying their confidence. He's got a long way to go before establishing Nebraska as even a mid-tier basketball team in the Big XII.

I am stupified as to what some of you expect from this team, this program, and this coach in this current state. You dont make moonshine out of moonbeams, and you dont make great basketball teams out of basketballs and a fans want. Doc has nothing to work with. I just dont see how anyone lays the blame for this at Doc's feet. You have to take the whole program in, and examine it. I have a lot more questions about the seriousness of this team in terms of the athletic department and support staff than Doc. Honestly, what have they provided him with since hiring him to succeed? Other than the honor of leading the wreck? sh#t. NOTHING. Doc is a great coach. The product your seeing is not completely controlled by him. You bring in someone else, same story. Those that want to point to Kansas St as "oh, they can do it, why cant we..." are lacking in the history department and overlooking that their athletic department laid their proverbial manhood on the table and put their money where their mouth was. I am positively not sugarcoating anything. If this team was "terrible," they would have a losing record. We'd be 1-674. Unfortunately, Doc will probably continue to do nothing more than tread water with this program until A: he's fired and someone else gets 4-5 years to drown, or B: the athletic department steps up, and Doc figures out how to lure another Sallie and keep him this time.

I am stupified as to what some of you expect from this team, this program, and this coach in this current state. You dont make moonshine out of moonbeams, and you dont make great basketball teams out of basketballs and a fans want. Doc has nothing to work with. I just dont see how anyone lays the blame for this at Doc's feet. You have to take the whole program in, and examine it. I have a lot more questions about the seriousness of this team in terms of the athletic department and support staff than Doc. Honestly, what have they provided him with since hiring him to succeed? Other than the honor of leading the wreck? sh#t. NOTHING. Doc is a great coach. The product your seeing is not completely controlled by him. You bring in someone else, same story. Those that want to point to Kansas St as "oh, they can do it, why cant we..." are lacking in the history department and overlooking that their athletic department laid their proverbial manhood on the table and put their money where their mouth was. I am positively not sugarcoating anything. If this team was "terrible," they would have a losing record. We'd be 1-674. Unfortunately, Doc will probably continue to do nothing more than tread water with this program until A: he's fired and someone else gets 4-5 years to drown, or B: the athletic department steps up, and Doc figures out how to lure another Sallie and keep him this time.

If Doc is such a great coach, then explain his playing rotations (something he can control)? He plays one guy 25 mins one game and then doesn't play him at all the next game. Shoot, Standhardinger played pretty well the other night against Colorado, and then Doc comes out in the OWH that Standhardinger is not guaranteed anymore time because of his defensive play and practice habits. Same story with Hankins-Cole. WE NEED TO SCORE POINTS!!! I don't care if a kid is not having a good week in practice or not, if he gives us a better chance at winning games...PLAY HIM!!! This isn't junior high or high school anymore gents. We don't have to play everyone to make them feel good about themselves, or to keep their parents happy. Play the kids that give us a chance at winning!!