Is Doc the right guy??

We have 'potential' resources. These other schools in the Big 12 have ACTUAL resources. I just cant see how anyone can put this solely on Doc's shoulders.

Mizzou has a seperate practice facility, and have you seen this gem lil ol' ISU has put up?

Arms Race

Fact is, look at what our successful football program has to attract recruits...to provide the best for them to develop their game and inspire confidence, in not only themselves, but in the coaching staff, fans, etc... Nebraska basketball recruits see all of that too...then get the nickel tour of the Devaney. Last year my cousin had a practice on the top floor of some old campus building because everything else was busy. That is the reality of the Nebraska basketball program.

We have 'potential' resources. These other schools in the Big 12 have ACTUAL resources. I just cant see how anyone can put this solely on Doc's shoulders.

Mizzou has a seperate practice facility, and have you seen this gem lil ol' ISU has put up?

Arms Race

Fact is, look at what our successful football program has to attract recruits...to provide the best for them to develop their game and inspire confidence, in not only themselves, but in the coaching staff, fans, etc... Nebraska basketball recruits see all of that too...then get the nickel tour of the Devaney. Last year my cousin had a practice on the top floor of some old campus building because everything else was busy. That is the reality of the Nebraska basketball program.

I understand your argument regarding practice facilities, and I think Dr. Tom is addressing this in the very near future. So maybe we should wait and make our judgments after those facilities are built. The thing that is beginning to drive me crazy though is that our "fans" just write off our basketball team every single year!! Maybe its time that the attitude of the "fans" begin to change! Our basketball "fans" are some of the most fair-weathered fans around and I wish they would begin showing more support than just showing up for games like Kansas..........

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

The only quality win of the year so far is USC. I guess Tulsa but their rpi is 74 which isn't that good. Both Oregon St. and TCU do not count as quality wins. Maybe if this was football but not basketball. Their rpi's are below 160 and neither have a winning record. There is a reason this team has 12 wins and the reason is they have only won TWO games against teams with a winning percentage of higher than .500. Not good enough.

There are 347 teams in division 1 basketball. A 74 RPI in Tulsa isnt that good? 55th for USC, a team that whipped Tennessee by 22 in the same building we beat them in? When the tourney invites 64? I could see the outrage if Doc was losing these games, but cannot for the life of me understand why people want to bash him and say its not good enough that he's winning them, that they have to be discounted in some manner. And if you want to use that poll, use it to give Doc some credit as well...he crushed the bottom feeders, and has hung with the very top of the bunch.

Let's look at the RPI of the teams Nebraska has lost to...

3 Kansas

24 BYU

36 Texas A&M

105 Iowa State

111 St Louis

130 Creighton

I dont see a whole lot to be upset about there. Really only 2 that I can honestly say we should have absolutely won and Im unhappy with. Creighton is a rivalry game, a wildcard. I toss that out. The Big 12 is arguably the toughest conference in the country...so those of you that are unhappy with Nebraska's play so far quite possibly could be in the looney bin by the end of the year.

• Fire 1

I have been a season ticket holder since the Collier era. I like Doc very much and really enjoy watching the effort he gets from his teams. Doc needs to continue getting better players in here and I think facilities are part of the problem. He has also had a string of bad luck with injuries, eligibility issues (can you say Sallie?), etc. Doc's teams continually compete, even with teams they really shouldn't be able to compete with. I think Doc has at least 2 more years before there is talk of a new coach.

I was at the ISU game last night and was really disappointed. Was not a typical Doc Sadler game. He did sub players out numerous times when they seemed to have the hot hand, be providing a defensive spark, or whatever. The end of the game was really baffeling as well. Why he decided to foul after letting the clock run down like that is beyond me. It was a really bad loss IMO but I will continue to stick with Doc.

I do agree that Nebraska fans don't know how to be basketball fans. There were times in the game last night where the crowd should have been up to help the team get going and they just sit there. Seems like most fans only get up when the team gives them something to cheer about. The crowd also needs to get up sometimes to give the team that extra boost. It would be nice if the fans understood that.

BTW, Eshaunte Jones didn't play last night because he was home with the flu.

I hope the Huskers start playing better, with more consistency, or this is going to be a long Big XII season.

12-6 in basketball is still 12-6, no matter what the names of the schools are. You conveniently leave out teams such as Oregon State, and USC, and TCU...all wins. There's a lot of schools out there with a losing record, with only 2 or 3 wins, regardless of competition. I will hold them to a different standard, because im realistic. Dont hold them to a standard they are not capable of reaching. Its not fair to yourself and its not fair to the team. Doc has made this team better every year. Maybe its only been 1 game better in Big 12 play the last couple years, but its progress. Patience is key here I think. Nebraska basketball doesnt have a Tom Osborne or tradition to make a quick turn-around and run to greatness.

USC is a very good win,TCU is not bad either. Nebraska had a chance to be a good basketball school as far back as the 60's. Tom Baack and Stu Lantz showed us that,[also third good player?????]. It didn't help that Football became so big so quick thanks to Bob D, and the stupid NCAA rule of only conference champions, being invited to the big dance,that didn't help the BB program. To bad, those teams could have done some serious damage in the tourney.

A couple of my buddies were at the Iowa St game . One of them told me that if Neb players could shoot free throws, that they might win a few more games. Said it's been that way for a couple of years now. Is that some thing you might have noticed, or heard about?

Doc seemed to be the right man when he was hired. Getting kids to want to come there and play, just might be a tough sell for anybody, other than a hand full of coaches. I can't see Nebraska ever throwing the type of money it would need to get a "name" coach there.

Still have got to pull for them, they do put together a team once in a while. It's to bad that when a good instate player that can make a real impact comes along, that they can't recruit enough other good players to help him, or keep him instate.

GBR!!!

A couple of my buddies were at the Iowa St game . One of them told me that if Neb players could shoot free throws, that they might win a few more games. Said it's been that way for a couple of years now. Is that some thing you might have noticed, or heard about?

They have been pretty bad at the charity stripe this year, the Iowa State game being no exception.

Arms Race

I understand your argument regarding practice facilities, and I think Dr. Tom is addressing this in the very near future. So maybe we should wait and make our judgments after those facilities are built. The thing that is beginning to drive me crazy though is that our "fans" just write off our basketball team every single year!! Maybe its time that the attitude of the "fans" begin to change! Our basketball "fans" are some of the most fair-weathered fans around and I wish they would begin showing more support than just showing up for games like Kansas..........

Yep it's definitely the fans fault. We need more people who blindly follow a team through year after year of thin and absolutely no sign of thick. And college basketball is irrelevant until March anyways.

Arms Race

Are these practice facilities presently being built? The last I heard T.O. is still talking about the possibility of building them but hasn't done much more than that.

I know Tom Hendricks donated $10 Million towards a basketball practice facility but I'm not sure if construction has started. I think regents approved the construction as well.

thats not realistic though. we have just as many recources as these other teams that are playing well.....so there is no reason that we cant be as good as MU or KSU.

I think it is pretty realistic. You have to be honest with what you are working with. You can’t expect to compete right away with programs that have more to give, and have achieved much more than you. Its about growth. Small steps. I like what Doc does. But he neither has the players nor history to draw off of. Basketball is different than football, in the fact that 1 really good player can make you a winner. But Nebraska would fail to make a list of the top 100 programs, probably the top 150 also. Although MU and KSU dont have a bunch of National Championship banners hanging from the walls they have lots of successes to point too.

NCAA Tourney Apps

NU-6

MU-23

KSU-25

NCAA Tourney Wins

NU-0

MU-21 - 5 elite 8's

KSU-28 - 4 final 4's, and 7 elite 8's

Conference Season/Tourney Champs since 1950

NU-2

MU-15

KSU-16

Realistically Nebraska has failed to ever place in the top 6 in the big 12. Give Doc time and support and I believe wins will come. You cant expect him to jump schools that are above Nebraska without giving him the tools. Currently NE is a long was from MU and KSU, just give it some time.

Arms Race

You are absolutely right. Until Nebraska makes Basketball a priority they will fail to compete in a way that many desire. Nebraska will never be anything but a football school. But that doesn’t mean that the school/administration/fans can’t support basketball and give them at least an equal playing field to compete on. You can have a winning team. But you have to do what it takes. And that includes lots of fan support

I want to first start off by saying that I am an avid Husker Hoops fan that doesn't jump on and off the bandwagon. I have been a season ticket holder now for a couple of years and have always liked the way the team has hustled and kept us close in bigger games. After the Iowa State game though tonight, I am finally starting to second guess what we have with Doc Sadler. It was embarrassing some of the coaching moves he made tonight, and he even admitted to them. But after some thinking, our basketball problems go far deeper than just this game. For some reason, we rarely can keep a kid on the team for 4 years, and they aren't leaving for the NBA!!! I'm just getting really frustrated with where this program is heading. How do we get some decent recruits?? K-State can do it! The good recruits we do get seem to always have a clearinghouse problems (Sallie). All of our other recruits seem to have to come from outside the United States!!

I guess what I am trying to find out is if people really think that Doc Sadler is the right man for our program or has he started to lose some faithful followers???

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! but i dont know who else would wanna coach at NU????